• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winnipeg Pedigree Original Listings: Spidey, Avengers, FF, X-Men

59 posts in this topic

I don't think I ever posted a good scan of this book before. Obviously bears the stigma of that nasty grease pencil arrival date, (along with the sig), but it's still an otherwise nice looking book and is much loved! cloud9.gif

av11winnie72.jpg

SNE overgraded many of these books so badly it was unbelievable, which is probably why I still have a low opinion of the Winnipegs and why I'm amazed when I see Winnipegs that actually did grade high.

I bought the TOS 58 (listed as NM+95 in the catalog below), TOS 59 (NM+96) and ST 110 (NM 91). Also purchased a B&B 34, not shown in the ad below but listed as a NM of some sort, I think. They came back from CGC as a 9.0, 7.5(!), 8.0 and 8.0, respectively.

I recall receiving the raw books and being disappointed in them, but stupidly talked myself out of returning them because "they're big dealers so they must know how to grade and I'm just being too picky". frustrated.gif I was pleased in a sick pathetic way when I got the grades back from CGC and was proved right.

Same story here. I bought some of the FF's and Strange Tales. I'm looking at the grades listed and comparing them to the books I own and can't believe I did not send them back. I'm glad I did not buy more at the time, and I am also shocked when I see books from the collection from the same time period as mine and they grade out at 9.2 and above.

I got burned by the infamous Winnepgs to. I bought the X-Men 6(NM+ 96), 21(NM+ 95) and the 25(NM+ 96). I should have returned them immediately, but like many other colletors I figured that a big dealer like SNE knows how to grade better than I do. After downgrading them, I subsequently sold them before the advent of CGC. I have often wondered if those books have ever been graded and what the grades were. If they were graded I bet they would have fallen between 8.5 and 9.0. boo.gif

Does anyone here own the Strange Tales #107? Any scans available and is it really NM+?

I'm pretty sure it was a 9.0 or maybe a 9.2. It was on ComicLink for a long time (because the name written on the top ruined it for me).

redhook

winnipegs are beautiful books

soemthing about the canadian storage conditions, books form canada have excellent page quality- im sure aardvark88 will attest to that

now, wheres the avengers 1 winnipeg?

anyone on the forums own it??????

I think aardvark88 is from BC if I'm not mistaken, if so that's like comparing Winnipeg to Seattle - its a totally different climate. Since I was born and grew up there through College I can shed some light on this issue. The climte is naturally dry, humidity and moisture are rarely a problem for the majority of the calendar year and Air conditioning is a Univerasal standard and has been for a staple in a large percentage of the housing for a long time.

I will attest that overall you can notice a difference, at least I have, in books from local Winnipeg dealers to the majority of the dealers you will find elsewhere. That being the overall high page quality. As FFB what he thinks about books he gets off a certain Winnipeg dealer. I'm not saying that the dealers there are any better, or are taking any greater, or unknown measures to preserve their books, they just have an easier time of it due to not having to fight the elements as much.

As an aside I find it amusing that the 2 places I've spent most of my life IE Monterey and Winnipeg have both generated Pedigrees. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve,

A lot of the winnipegs had sold right away, quite possibly before Dan (Greenhalgh of Showcase) had time to put them into his catalogue.

A collector named John Sargent was the first person to come in on the Winnipegs and he bought a bunch of 70's and modern stuuf. He subsequently sold his collection to Joe Vereneault a few years ago and I was able to track those ones down.

I was the second guy in to see the collection and I bought a ton of stuff, including the 9 long boxes of 70's and modern Marvels. So the ones not listed in the catalogue were the ones he sold to me and John Sargent in December 96 before the catalogue was printed in early 97.

Just thought I'd let you know. Any Winnipeg questions I can answer I certainly will.

Doug