• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Corral

51 posts in this topic

According to research at Leeds University, to produce a perfect slice of buttered toast, the bread needs to be heated to at least 120°C, and the butter should be used straight from the fridge, applied unevenly within two minutes of the bread coming out of the toaster. The amount of butter should be about one-seventeenth the thickness of the bread.

Is it true that toast always lands butter side down?

It all depends on how you dropped it, from where you dropped it and how big your slice of toast actually is. All of these factors contribute to the butter side up or butter side down landing position.

In our typical early morning scenario, the toast slips off the side of the table and is given a slight rotation as it starts to fall. As most kitchen tables and work surfaces are about waist height, the toast only manages half a rotation before it hits the floor, butter side down. So, if you want to have your toast landing butter side up, you’d better build your work surfaces twice as high or make smaller slices so that they have time to complete the rotation.

There is another way to avoid carpet fluff on your buttered toast and that’s to press hard with your knife whilst buttering to create a curved piece of toast. If this piece falls then it more often than not lands butter side up because of its shape. But then, do you really want curvy toast for breakfast?

:gossip: Curvy toast is good.

According to research at Leeds University, to produce a perfect slice of buttered toast, the bread needs to be heated to at least 120°C, and the butter should be used straight from the fridge, applied unevenly within two minutes of the bread coming out of the toaster. The amount of butter should be about one-seventeenth the thickness of the bread.
Also, if you are applying peanut butter as well, you need to place it in the oven for a minute or two afterwards, to melt the peanut butter.

toast-3.jpg

Bread that has been browned by exposure to radiant heat is commonly known as toast. This browning reaction is known as the Maillard reaction. Toasting warms the bread, making it firmer so it holds toppings more securely. Toasting makes it stale bread more palatable.

Those were the findings too in my last thesis on the subject. There are variables such as what type of butter is used (salted, slightly salted, unsalted, full-fat, half-fat, etc.) and the thickness and age of the bread, but generally speaking the prognoses are accurate. I'll be publishing my doctorate regarding any updates the year after next, upon my completion of my toast post-graduate course.

What makes French Onion Soup recipe so damn special?

8 slices of toasted French bread.

The Gruyere cheese is as crucial to the flavor of the soup and the consistency of the bread.

That mess's delicious.

Why'd my stupid post get yanked? Sheesh.
I think you got in between Stu and a Moderator.

Not a place I wanted to be.

:gossip: not what I heard...,

Did you have a nice Christmas Mike?

Yes - we squeezed it in between wrestling tournaments! Every one is home, and we're cooking and eating too much. Getting the dogs out for walks though, and I'm regular on the weight-lifting.

Howza 'bout you?

I did.Hanging with the family and eating way too much.My three dogs walk me,including our 190 lb St Bernard.

Hope you have a great NY

Dennis