• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theo's new professional grading service!

126 posts in this topic

The last thing I want to do is throw a damper on everyone's fun, but let's step back a moment and get real.

If the point is exposing Theo to public ridicule, is it really necessary to use 35 year old ad copy that was produced at the height of the free-wheeling 70's? I'm sure that we all did things back then that would seem odd or inappropriate today without proper context. :fear:

:gossip: BTW, if you're trying to figure out what Theo was thinking with that beefcake pose humor, I may have a clue:

I strongly suspect that Theo's ad-copy photo is a send-up of the old Charles Atlas advertising on the back covers of many GA comic books.

So, what are folks really worked up about here? hm

When all is said and done, it apparently comes down to Theo's over-the-top marketing style. Some see it as pompous, maybe a little sexist; others, tacky and grammatically challenged. Many here seem appalled, even outraged by his pricing and view it as unrealistic or deceitful.

I won't argue with any of these perceptions, but seriously, who are we to judge?

Has anyone here had any bad dealings with this gentleman?

I won't argue with anyone's opinions, except to gently remind folks that these are merely impressions stemming from Theo's carnival barker advertising style. Maybe it's just me, but I think the bar should be higher for seven plus pages of relentless ridicule on a public forum. (shrug)

All I'm sayin' is that it would behoove us to discuss his IDEA for an improved grading service without getting lost in the minutiae of taking pot-shots at the messenger.

'Nuff said. :sorry:

The last thing I want to do is throw a damper on everyone's fun, but let's step back a moment and get real.

If the point is exposing Theo to public ridicule, is it really necessary to use 35 year old ad copy that was produced at the height of the free-wheeling 70's? I'm sure that we all did things back then that would seem odd or inappropriate today without proper context. :fear:

:gossip: BTW, if you're trying to figure out what Theo was thinking with that beefcake pose humor, I may have a clue:

I strongly suspect that Theo's ad-copy photo is a send-up of the old Charles Atlas advertising on the back covers of many GA comic books.

When all is said and done, it apparently comes down to Theo's over-the-top marketing style. Some see it as pompous, maybe a little sexist; others, tacky and grammatically challenged. Many here seem appalled, even outraged by his pricing and view it as unrealistic or deceitful.

I won't argue with any of these perceptions, but seriously, who are we to judge?

I won't argue with anyone's opinions, except to gently remind folks that these are merely impressions stemming from Theo's carnival barker advertising style. Maybe it's just me, but I think the bar should be higher for seven plus pages of relentless ridicule on a public forum. (shrug)

All I'm sayin' is that it would behoove us to discuss his IDEA for an improved grading service without getting lost in the minutiae of taking pot-shots at the messenger.

Cat, you're probably right that we're getting a little carried away, but I don't think any malice is intended toward Theo. After seeing his modern advertising style I do believe Mitch that this old ad was intended as humor, whether it's a send-up of Charles Atlas or Burt Reynolds or whovever. He's got a wacky sense of humor that I'm really starting to appreciate. Heck, he's accomplished his purpose in spades---this ad is legendary and we're still here talking and laughing about it 35 years later. It may be the greatest comicbook ad of time. You can say what you want about his style, but it gets attention. :)

As for a serious dicussion about a new professional grading service, I think that's a conversation very much worth having, but this probably isn't the venue for it, for obvious reasons.

Cat, you're probably right that we're getting a little carried away, but I don't think any malice is intended toward Theo. After seeing his modern advertising style I do believe Mitch that this old ad was intended as humor, whether it's a send-up of Charles Atlas or Burt Reynolds or whovever. He's got a wacky sense of humor that I'm really starting to appreciate. Heck, he's accomplished his purpose in spades---this ad is legendary and we're still here talking and laughing about it 35 years later. It may be the greatest comicbook ad of time. You can say what you want about his style, but it gets attention. :)

As for a serious dicussion about a new professional grading service, I think that's a conversation very much worth having, but this probably isn't the venue for it, for obvious reasons.

Well said! No argument from me. (thumbs u

So of course in the spirit of kindness and not taking pot shots, you WILL be changing the name of your collectibles company?

(or at least adding a hyphen;):)?

I think the scorn is stemming more from his "deceitful" listing comments such as the MMC#12 for example. Mitch calls it a "sense of humour" but its more accurately the methods of a scammer. The ridiculous listing prices, requests for investors to his new grading company, etc just add fuel to the fire. How could anyone take this bozo serious or want to do business with him?

Yeah, I'm all for being kind in the holiday season and all that, David. But Theo brought this on himself. On the one hand, as you noted, the listings are waaaayy over the top pricewise and description. But more worrisome is that he is misleading in many of the ads/listings I've seen. Something is 1 pedigree, then another. Something is way valuable when he's selling, but not when he's buying.

As for who are we to judge? You could make that argument about anything. But this is a public listing and we're all potential customers for any of those listings.

So of course in the spirit of kindness and not taking pot shots, you WILL be changing the name of your collectibles company?

Sharon, the name of my new collectibles business is NO joke and never was intended as mockery.

MANNUP COLLECTIBLES came about by process of elimination with Turkey Sandwich City coming in a close second. :grin:

Yes, that is a joke. :gossip:

(shrug) When I took a good hard look at what I've been collecting and how I conduct business the first word that came to mind was MANNUP!!!

My MANNUP COLLECTIBLES web domain was acquired over a month ago. A hyphen wouldn't work as my lettering was loosely based on the EVERLAST athletics design, which again, has that element of macho irony. I realize that the word MANNUP will forever be associated with Mitch's early posts, but I'm taking great pains to avoid any allusion to sexism or mockery.

I've even been working up an image to go with this design that conveys what I want my business model to be. It is my hope that this image will reflect my style and whimsical sense of humor without offending anyone. :foryou:

The last thing I want to do is throw a damper on everyone's fun, but let's step back a moment and get real. If the point is exposing Theo to public ridicule, is it really necessary to use 35 year old ad copy that was produced at the height of the free-wheeling 70's?

If one's goal is exposing Theo to ridicule, how could one NOT use that photo?

I don't know if anybody is "worked up" but I think some might have a case that what Theo does eventually crosses a line into the realm of shilling or using hyperbole that veers toward fraudulence. I have no problem with showmanship and people who are just plain characters (in fact, such people make the world a more entertaining place). But when it becomes fraud/shilling then it merits some form of backlash. (And if it's only borderline-fraud/shilling then the backlash should be appropriately nuanced.)

119560.jpg.557e660d0f5a38f3a55b4011e0bffe7f.jpg

Sharon, the name of my new collectibles business is NO joke and never was intended as mockery.

MANNUP COLLECTIBLES came about by process of elimination with Turkey Sandwich City coming in a close second. :grin:

Yes, that is a joke. :gossip:

(shrug) When I took a good hard look at what I've been collecting and how I conduct business the first word that came to mind was MANNUP!!!

My MANNUP COLLECTIBLES web domain was acquired over a month ago. A hyphen wouldn't work as my lettering was loosely based on the EVERLAST athletics design, which again, has that element of macho irony. I realize that the word MANNUP will forever be associated with Mitch's early posts, but I'm taking great pains to avoid any allusion to sexism or mockery.

I've even been working up an image to go with this design that conveys what I want my business model to be. It is my hope that this image will reflect my style and whimsical sense of humor without offending anyone. :foryou:

I'm so confused...so you are collecting sporting equipment, lol?

I can't believe that two people dreamt up the word "mannup" :tonofbricks:

But, best of luck! :foryou:

Why would you not hold Theo up to ridicule? He has chosen to only be involved in the hobby at what he perceives to be the highest level, yet he also chooses to diminish all other parts of the hobby other than his. Basically he says, through the wording of his ads, "My stuff is great and worth a lot of money. Your stuff, since you are selling and obviously don't want it, is worthless." That is the very definition of ridiculous.