• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

....That copy sold at auction on June 22nd, 2002 for $ 110,000. It was the same auction where Marnin auctioned the bulk of what remained of the Mass. ASM's. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. It was a Parrino auction in partnership with someone else, Heritage, I believe. I still have the catalogue around somewhere.

I thought it was sold by JP on eBay, but the winner (a big spender at the time whose name escapes me, he posted a few times on these boards) pulled out of the deal when it turned out that his eyes were bigger than his wallet.

If JP subsequently resold this on Heritage, I definitely don't remember a 9.4 FF #1 ever being sold on Heritage.

Chris Bell :makepoint:

....That copy sold at auction on June 22nd, 2002 for $ 110,000. It was the same auction where Marnin auctioned the bulk of what remained of the Mass. ASM's. GOD BLESS...

P.S. It was a Parrino auction in partnership with someone else, Heritage, I believe. I still have the catalogue around somewhere.

I thought it was sold by JP on eBay, but the winner (a big spender at the time whose name escapes me, he posted a few times on these boards) pulled out of the deal when it turned out that his eyes were bigger than his wallet.

If JP subsequently resold this on Heritage, I definitely don't remember a 9.4 FF #1 ever being sold on Heritage.

Chris Bell :makepoint:

Damn you're good! (worship)

I'll try to dig out the catalogue. The 110K price was associated with that auction. I don't believe this auction is part of their archive. GOD BLESS...

.....the auction was NOT in partnership with HA.....sorry for the confusion. It was strictly by "The Mint", Parrino's company at the time. I didn't notice anything about eBay in the Terms and Conditions page. GOD BLESS...

:acclaim:

It was in JP's catalog, but when it didn't move he listed it on eBay. Yup, $110K was considered a lot of money for a 9.4 FF #1 once, before we all got jaded and people started paying $100K for Avengers #4.

So the Heritage catalog arrived today, featuring some full page pix of Curator FFs 2,3,4,5,10, and 12. Yowza.

Their description of the origin of the pedigree is interesting:

"The Curator collection originated with a boy in Minnesota whose father worked at a grocery store. The boy purchased two copies of every comic that interested him, and to preserve one copy of each for long-term, he would wrap it in material readily available to him, namely butcher paper. In the early 1980s the collection was sold to a local dealer. Our consignor [my addition: now revealed to be Dan Jurgens] got a look at the books in 1983. The price stickers were very aggressive for the time, but given the incredible quality of the books our consignor quickly struck a deal to purchase as many Fantastic Fours as he could afford, and has kept them in storage ever since."

Also newsworthy is that Frank Miller was apparently so delighted with the extraordinary price realized for a piece of his artwork at last year's New York auction, he will be making a personal appearance on the afternoon of the 21st at the auction site, the Fletcher-Sinclair house.

I don't get the catalogs anymore. Did they really say that Jurgens was the consignor?

No, Heritage is too professional for that. The addition between the brackets is mine.

I don't get the catalogs anymore. Did they really say that Jurgens was the consignor?

No, Heritage is too professional for that. The addition between the brackets is mine.

Ahhh..OK. That's what I thought.

So the Heritage catalog arrived today, featuring some full page pix of Curator FFs 2,3,4,5,10, and 12. Yowza.

"The Curator collection originated with a boy in Minnesota whose father worked at a grocery store. The boy purchased two copies of every comic that interested him, and to preserve one copy of each for long-term, he would wrap it in material readily available to him, namely butcher paper. In the early 1980s the collection was sold to a local dealer. Our consignor [my addition: now revealed to be Dan Jurgens] got a look at the books in 1983. The price stickers were very aggressive for the time, but given the incredible quality of the books our consignor quickly struck a deal to purchase as many Fantastic Fours as he could afford, and has kept them in storage ever since."

where's the part about keeping them in the vault at the museum he worked at?

where's the part about keeping them in the vault at the museum he worked at?

They left part on the cutting room floor.

It doesn't say anything about him slicing his wiener off.

Does this disappoint you?

Besides, I'm betting he didn't do it himself.

Not willy, but it is an integral part of the story.

Did this really happen or is this some cooky Watson tale?

It's supposedly true.

Hauser himself told it to me it was true. Hauser was the guy that brought the books to market.

He told me he sold the books because the museum was being remodelled and used the proceeds to fund the sex change.

The guy stayed married to his wife after the sex change and apparently they lived happily ever after.

Hauser himself told it to me it was true. Hauser was the guy that brought the books to market.

He told me he sold the books because the museum was being remodelled and used the proceeds to fund the sex change.

The guy stayed married to his wife after the sex change and apparently they lived happily ever after.

Oh hell. I thought he just took a knife and cut his off. :eek:

Oh hell. I thought he just took a knife and cut his off. :eek:

And you wanted photos?

You sick *spoon*