• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

No love for the #4? That banana yellow cover is :o

Colors are extraordinary. Shame about the impacted top staple.

the staples are pushed in too on the FF 52.

I honestly don't see it on that ish, at least not to the degree that it's apparent on the ones I mentioned earlier and others, like issues 3 and 6.

I honestly don't see it on that ish, at least not to the degree that it's apparent on the ones I mentioned earlier and others, like ish 3. Somebody ought to go a little easier on applying the pressure, if you know what I mean.

I've been noticing the impacted staple phenomenon on many uber graded books lately. I didn't realize this can be a result of pressing. I'm not sure of the physics involved as the press is applying a vertical pressure. I guess the pressure is moving the paper away from the staple ? I'm disappointed CGC does not deduct more for this serious, self afflicted flaw. It is rather fugly and does not look natural.

I honestly don't see it on that ish, at least not to the degree that it's apparent on the ones I mentioned earlier and others, like ish 3. Somebody ought to go a little easier on applying the pressure, if you know what I mean.

I've been noticing the impacted staple phenomenon on many uber graded books lately. I didn't realize this can be a result of pressing. I'm not sure of the physics involved as the press is applying a vertical pressure. I guess the pressure is moving the paper away from the staple ? I'm disappointed CGC does not deduct more for this serious, self afflicted flaw. It is rather fugly and does not look natural.

According to Dr. Sheldon Cooper, it is not from pressing but from the Earth's gravitational pull on the books over the past 40-50 years. Hope that helps.

Staples have never bothered me.

Me neither.

It appears to be a mixed bag, not surprisingly. There are issues that to me seem overgraded, including the #2 that got a 9.4 with rusted staples, the #13 (a 9.4) with color breaking wear along the spine beneath the lower staple, the #18 (a 9.4) with several pre-chips along the right edge, and the #39 (a 9.4) with a significant color breaking corner crease. The #12 got a 9.6 with two impacted staples, as did the #29. The #10 (9.6) has an impacted lower staple. I'm left wondering whether these issues with impacted staples and vertical stress lines near the staples (there are even more examples) were damaged during pressing.

Then there are the stunning issues like #s 5, 15, 25, 31, 41, 47 and 52 that blow away other copies I've seen in person or from scans.

That would be my guess. I know Roy said CGC downgrades for poor pressing but I am not so sure.

Me neither.

:o

Don't get sweet on me, there's not much else we agree on.

:makepoint:

Me neither.

I prefer staples myself, they keep the book together.

Why the heck is Tim bidding on Marvels?

I'm left wondering whether these issues with impacted staples and vertical stress lines near the staples (there are even more examples) were damaged during pressing.

That would be my guess. I know Roy said CGC downgrades for poor pressing but I am not so sure.

It was actually a CGC grader that told me what I repeated on here about downgrading books that were pressed poorly. :shy:

We're only assuming that the impacted staples were created by pressing. I could be wrong but I doubt pressing can create that problem. I'm pretty sure I've seen lots of early FF books with impacted staples...maybe more than any other title and these were raw books in varying grades that were likely not pressed.

Seems to be common on FF #12 in particular. Can't remember the other issues I've seen it on.

I'm left wondering whether these issues with impacted staples and vertical stress lines near the staples (there are even more examples) were damaged during pressing.

It was actually a CGC grader that told me what I repeated on here about downgrading books that were pressed poorly. :shy:

We're only assuming that the impacted staples were created by pressing. I could be wrong but I doubt pressing can create that problem. I'm pretty sure I've seen lots of early FF books with impacted staples...maybe more than any other title and these were raw books in varying grades that were likely not pressed.

Seems to be common on FF #12 in particular. Can't remember the other issues I've seen it on.

You would have to be using a hydraulic press to damage staples like that.

Me neither.

Same here. I'll take a dented or even a slightly rusted staple over a corner crease all day long. :cloud9:

Correct Roy.

The "recessed" staples are a result of the production/assembly process and not a rare occurrence. It's not a result of pressing.

If this result were achievable at all by pressing. It would take an extreme amount of pressure for the paper to push back that far and would most likely result in a popped staple rather than a what we see.

If that were damage caused by pressing CGC would down grade for it. Same as any other damage not related to production.

Lesson: Don't believe everything someone insinuates on the interwebs.

I hate indented staples.

To me, indented staples on an otherwise flawless, or near-flawless spine, is like a hot chick with a missing front tooth.

I hate indented staples.

To me, indented staples on an otherwise flawless, or near-flawless spine, is like a hot chick with a missing front tooth.

Nope. Poor analogy. Crooked teeth.

Fixed.

Next?

I hate indented staples.

Or like a hot chick that you can get a bonding job for and nobody will ever know the difference.