• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

It also looks like he is selling multiple copies of the same book in the auction. There are two copies each of #9, 26, and 31, for example. I know some could be from different consignors, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

This is actually probably very likely (different consignors).

The second FF #26 (CGC 9.6) - for example has a totally different consignor number and it is the same consignor number used to catalog the Twin Cities copy of X-men #1 and a second 8.5 copy of X-men #1 along with other books (I believe it is an internal consignor number used to identify books that Heritage owns).

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

That's some good detective work there. It took me awhile to see you can get the consignor number from the URL. (I was looking for the stickers but didn't see them.)

Consignor number in the URL?

Only thing I see in the URL is the auction number and the lot number.

(shrug)

It also looks like he is selling multiple copies of the same book in the auction. There are two copies each of #9, 26, and 31, for example. I know some could be from different consignors, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

The second FF #26 (CGC 9.6) - for example has a totally different consignor number and it is the same consignor number used to catalog the Twin Cities copy of X-men #1 and a second 8.5 copy of X-men #1 along with other books (I believe it is an internal consignor number used to identify books that Heritage owns).

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

That's some good detective work there. It took me awhile to see you can get the consignor number from the URL. (I was looking for the stickers but didn't see them.)

(shrug)

It's part of the lot number, the first two digits (91) in the examples below, the DD #1 (North Star) and FF #33 (Curator):

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91010

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91042

(shrug)

It's part of the lot number, the first two digits (91) in the examples below, the DD #1 (North Star) and FF #33 (Curator):

Hmmm... interesting.

If you search using the number 91010 the following 13 books pop in the archives.

Were all these book consigned by Dan too?

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=91010&Nty=1&N=52+790+231+&Ns=&&&&&&&&

I'm thinking the number above the name "Jurgens, Dan" on the sticker is the auction number (7054) followed by the lot number (91001).

Although the number 91 appears unique as an identifier, it's gotta be the series number that begins the lot number sequence.

If that's not the case then this guy Jurgens is one heck of a big time collector as the number 91 is realizing a lot of dough in this auction:

http://comics.ha.com/c/print-prices-realized.zx?saleNo=830

Hmmm... interesting.

If you search using the number 91010 the following 13 books pop in the archives.

Were all these book consigned by Dan too?

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=91010&Nty=1&N=52+790+231+&Ns=&&&&&&&&

No.

For now, 91 is the consignor number and 010 is the 10th item cataloged of his consignment (the Daredevil #1) and as Heritage is building the auction you can see all the items added by that particular consignor.

When the auction goes live, those numbers (and urls) are reassigned to their permanent auction lot number, which is the numbers you see in the archive and you will not be able to identify items by their consignor numbers.

watch for the northstars getting a label change!

I beleive Ed jaster and Lon Allen found the northstar books- these guys are pretty cluey about pedigrees, no?

Well, apparently they didn't realize, which kind of shocks me.

Seriously, even if they didn't know it was Jurgens, it definitely was commonly known that most of the Curator FF run was owned by one comic artist, and I would have expected guys whose business is to know the business inside out to have known that. So when Jurgens suddenly started consigning these uber-HG FFs to them, even if he didn't tell them they were Curators, they should've put two and two together, particularly if putting all the pieces together meant more $$$.

+2

Yes, if the North Stars are actually Curator books, then this would appear to be a major blunder on Heritage's part, since they are being paid by their consignors to be the acknowledged experts in this area. Especially if both sets of books were coming from the same one consignor. doh!

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

Sounds logical and makes perfect sense to me! hm

You have to realize that the Curators were deemed to be a pedigree by CGC right from the get-go. Well, after being in business for over a decade, CGC has now refined and tightened their peidgree standards with all of these uber HG SA collections coming into the marketplace.

As a result, although the North Star (Curator 2) books were of uber HG quality with respect to condition, they were now deemed to be not pedigree worthy by CGC. Based upon this line of thinking, it only follows that CGC is using this situation as an opportunity to correct their past error and removing the pedigree status of the Curator books.

Seeing as how this is the season of giving and all former Curator purchasers are now faced with a huge financial loss, let it be known that I am willing to MANNUP and take the hit for all of these poor suffering fools by offering a generous and full 50% of the latest OS guide for their Curator books. As a result, no need to toss your Curator books into the trash pile next to your Ewert micro-trimmed books, just send me a PM and you just might get something back for your errant investment. :gossip:

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

Sounds logical and makes perfect sense to me! hm

You have to realize that the Curators were deemed to be a pedigree by CGC right from the get-go. Well, after being in business for over a decade, CGC has now refined and tightened their peidgree standards with all of these uber HG SA collections coming into the marketplace.

As a result, although the North Star (Curator 2) books were of uber HG quality with respect to condition, they were now deemed to be not pedigree worthy by CGC. Based upon this line of thinking, it only follows that CGC is using this situation as an opportunity to correct their past error and removing the pedigree status of the Curator books.

Seeing as how this is the season of giving and all former Curator purchasers are now faced with a huge financial loss, let it be known that I am willing to MANNUP and take the hit for all of these poor suffering fools by offering a generous and full 50% of the latest OS guide for their Curator books. As a result, no need to toss your Curator books into the trash pile next to your Ewert micro-trimmed books, just send me a PM and you just might get something back for your errant investment. :gossip:

You must be leveling.

I'm sure Heritage will have clarified the provenance of their North Star offerings by the time the February auction goes live.

Looks like the DD #1 and the Showcase #34-36 all got the Curator designation.

They'll be too rich for my budget, but I hope to get to NYC ahead of the auction to have a look at the run. The Heritage scans certainly make the paper preservation look spectacular.

Hey Bob --

Do you know if they have hours to visit their collections before the auction? I won't be able to be there in person, but would love to look at the books in person as well. I guess I should check the website...

...and rob that bank...

Dan

For the NYC auction of the Twin Cities pedigree, the comics were available for viewing for something like 3-4 days before the auction was held. Hopefully, they'll be a similar viewing period for this auction (which also introduces the Billy Wright pedigree to market).