• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940's - 60's Raunchy Humor Cartoon Magazines

31 posts in this topic

I have a magzine box full of these sorts of things. Mostly raunchy type humor, short cartoon strips, jokes, etc. Some even published by Dell, etc. The ones from the 40's have nice painted covers. Other than looking each on up on ebay, is there a site/source that has "values". I know at the end of the day I'll still need to look them up, but I'm just curious (and why doesn't OPG list these!?!).

I have a magzine box full of these sorts of things. Mostly raunchy type humor, short cartoon strips, jokes, etc. Some even published by Dell, etc. The ones from the 40's have nice painted covers. Other than looking each on up on ebay, is there a site/source that has "values". I know at the end of the day I'll still need to look them up, but I'm just curious (and why doesn't OPG list these!?!).

Good question and I look forward to other people's answers. I don't know if there's anything out there as a reliable resource. (There's an Antique Trader Guide to Magazines, but I am pretty sure it focuses more on the common magazine titles and not this obscure stuff.) Be sure to check the '60s mags to see if they have Bill Ward art, because if they do, they are probably worth more than you think. Oh yeah, also be sure to post some photos here!

Yeah, these are like that with the one page gags/cartoons but they do have the pin-ups.

True, I guess I wasn't looking that closely at the details of the mags. I like how those are colored, kind of a duotone thing. Take note of the signature(s) of the artists doing the cartoons. Some of those guys are famous in their own right, and some went on to work for Playboy, Penthouse, etc. Here's a pic I posted in this forum a few months ago, with the top area showing some of the one-panel girly cartoon mags in my collection. I have no idea what these are worth either, because they don't show up on eBay often and even when they do, I usually don't notice them (they're often buried in different categories, and I don't have keyword searches for them because they mostly tend to have unique titles).

magazines-rare.jpg

Yeah, the Cartoon Humor cover gets better the more you look at it. "Student body," hmm...

Regarding the Man's Story mags, the prices of those have skyrocketed in just the last year alone. I don't know what happened -- there must have been a story published somewhere, or ...? But awareness of them or competition has really gone up, or seems to have.

Jaded Savage: I notice those mags in your pic all have the same publisher and similar vertical titling along the left edge. Who is the publisher?

Regarding the Man's Story mags, the prices of those have skyrocketed in just the last year alone. I don't know what happened -- there must have been a story published somewhere, or ...? But awareness of them or competition has really gone up, or seems to have.

Man's Story and Man's Book have long been the pricier men's sweats when it comes to Commie/Nazi Torture covers, but there's always been volalitility. I can recall ten years ago random issues topping $200 due to spirited bidding, when another issue with an equally outrageous cover might go for $40. Condition seems to matter in only the more general sense of whether the book has spine splits and cover creases or not.

It seemed that titles like Daring and Wildcat were more affordable even with over-the-top covers. I don't know if that's true anymore.

There really is no rhyme or reason to what these Men's magazines bring at auction. Was recently bidding on these two mags and was no where near the final prices.

th_100_5433.jpg

$57.00

th_100_5425.jpg

$252.50

The final price on that True Men is incredible - considering there is no babe on bondage on the cover.

Yeah, these are like that with the one page gags/cartoons but they do have the pin-ups.

True, I guess I wasn't looking that closely at the details of the mags. I like how those are colored, kind of a duotone thing. Take note of the signature(s) of the artists doing the cartoons. Some of those guys are famous in their own right, and some went on to work for Playboy, Penthouse, etc. Here's a pic I posted in this forum a few months ago, with the top area showing some of the one-panel girly cartoon mags in my collection. I have no idea what these are worth either, because they don't show up on eBay often and even when they do, I usually don't notice them (they're often buried in different categories, and I don't have keyword searches for them because they mostly tend to have unique titles).

magazines-rare.jpg

The Flimsey Report and several issues with painted covers of Cartoon Humor from the 40's are indeed in my box oh stuff. I have a diffferent box with those photo type magazines like Jest.

Alas, I don't think I have any of those "Man's" magazine type nazi bondage covers. Bummer. Mostly Bill Ward style sexist cartoons.... and a bunch of the racing cartoon magazines, which I had hoped were worth more, but seem to tend to be $7-$10 a pop on ebay (not bad as a lot though I guess).

I also have a bunch of copies of "Smokehouse", which was a Cuusin to Captain BIlly's Whiz Bang, sort of a 1920's version of these humor magazines, but without the nudity and such as I don't think that would have been allowed in the 20's.