• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stains & Grading?

17 posts in this topic

From a CGC standpoint it is a disaster. Since we can't see the book in it's entirety it is difficult to estimate the downgrade. The higher the grade without the flaw, the more it will drop. It is a big stain on the FC permeating the whole book, it will get slammed.

Stains from water, food or other solvents are graded very different. CGC will assign grades as high as 9.8 for books with some distributor ink. The same book would only get an 8.0 or 8.5 if it was a stain from any other source.

I think Blob meant why does non-distributor ink get treated differently than water?

I've actually got the same question. :grin:

877-662-6642

From a CGC standpoint it is a disaster. Since we can't see the book in it's entirety it is difficult to estimate the downgrade. The higher the grade without the flaw, the more it will drop. It is a big stain on the FC permeating the whole book, it will get slammed.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo70/Legion1937/KGrHqMOKpE4jek8c44BOSy3tiHM48_31.jpg[/img]]fff http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo70/Legion1937/KGrHqZg4E45V2wBEBOSy3tevnw48_31.jpg[/img]]fffff

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo70/Legion1937/KGrHqMOKpE4jek8c44BOSy3tiHM48_31.jpg[/img]]fff http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo70/Legion1937/KGrHqZg4E45V2wBEBOSy3tevnw48_31.jpg[/img]]fffff

I dont see the book being any higher than 4.5 without the stain, that is a big right front lower corner crease.

I will say 3.0?

I think Blob meant why does non-distributor ink get treated differently than water?

Well, I don't think the stain on this book is distributor spray - it looks as though the corner of the book was "flooded", i.e. sitting close enough to [near (or in)] a puddle of liquid which "wicked" into the book.

I believe that the rationale for grading distributor ink or spray differently from other stains, is that the consumer didn't cause the damage to the book, and often didn't even have a choice when purchasing it. Many SA books have some incidences of distributor ink, as it was a wide-spread practice (before the direct market) of distributors to mark their deliveries.

Once it passes a certain (obtrusive) point, it is graded no differently than any other stain. IMHO in this instance, the source of the stain is irrelevant, as the the stain is quite significant. :)

I agree with it grading about a 3.0. However, it will be a fugly 3.0 and would probably sell at less than a 3.0 FMV price. Chances are the page quality will be no better than CR/OW, it is very brown, and the stains slap you in the face. I would not get it slabbed. Sorry.

I think I understand your question with regards to non-distributer ink stains. For the most part any stain the has a water base is going to cause structial damage to the paper such as washing to gloss coating off of SA books, rusting the staples and having rust spread to the paper and warping.