• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel - 2013

52 posts in this topic

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro

Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw.

Had two big horns and a wooly jaw.

Wooly bully, wooly bully.

Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully.

Hatty told Matty, "Let's don't take no chance.

Let's not be L-seven, come and learn to dance."

Wooly bully, wooly bully

Matty told Hatty, "That's the thing to do.

Get you someone really to pull the wool with you."

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro

Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw.

Had two big horns and a wooly jaw.

Hatty told Matty, "Let's don't take no chance.

Let's not be L-seven, come and learn to dance."

Wooly bully, wooly bully

Matty told Hatty, "That's the thing to do.

Get you someone really to pull the wool with you."

Reads to me like it's going to follow the Smallville formula. I think that's a good thing. The first few seasons of that show were outstanding.

I agree, although the formula was made more popular by Marvel's characters. With a good balance of trying to make a Golden Age hero relevant in today's times while acknowledging the character's heritage may provide the key to success here. There has to be a struggle here outside of simply "bad guys"--that plot worked in 1930, doesn't work today. Sorry.

So the noir, gritty take on Batman from the 1930's doesn't work either?

Tell that to Nolan...

Point being, if you frame it correctly the blue boy scout can be relevant today. You focus on sacrifice and the caring nature of a supreme being (ala the Christ comparison) taking care of us poor mortal while at the same time living as one of them.

More specifically, Superman suffers from being too "super"; Bat-man's gritty universe (I'll ignore silver age) and the fact that there is REAL danger there (being a mere mortal and all) makes it appealing--to me at least.

Frankly, I have no desire for Superman to "save" anyone. Internal conflict has always generally appealed to me.

Who's playing Lex Luthor in this one?

That's the other problem--the villans. I'd appreciate Darkseid if it can be done tastefully. If posing Supes as Christ what better than the threat of an actual DOOMSDAY?

And it need not be rushed...they can make it a two parter and end on a CLIFFHANGER.

I'm not sure what the problem is -- even though I understand all the color & style preferences. This looks badass. Superman looks like Superman & looks badass. I don't think I've ever seen a live action version of Superman that was anything close to looking badass. Superman looks like a badass.

cavill_superman_onset.jpg

I'm not sure what the problem is -- even though I understand all the color & style preferences. This looks badass. Superman looks like Superman & looks badass. I don't think I've ever seen a live action version of Superman that was anything close to looking badass. Superman looks like a badass.

Wetsuit... with piping. hm

Superman looks badass kickass! (thumbs u

1222365-kick_ass_graphic_novel_super.jpg

:):jokealert:

The desturated colors make it look like he's been rolling in ashes. I guess that could be one criteria of a badass. :P Cavill is dead on though.

Is it just me or does this read like Superman meets Twilight?

Not feeling it for this one...when will Hollywood understand this character...the angst thing is for the weak not the most powerful force of good in comics.

I think the key to translating Superman to film is how they portray the Clark Kent persona.

The over-the-top, stumbling bumbling buffoon ruins it. The two best adaptations to date, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman and Bruce Timm's Superman: The Animated Series, treated Kent as a respectable "mild mannered" investigative reporter. No cheese.

And personally I think the old style Circus Strongman costume works better than a tricked-out unicolor wetsuit. The middle-Red color visually balanced out the overall costume design.

Ugh. He looks like he's made out of plastic. doh! I'll watch it, but I'm not sure this one is going to come out strong. Still, I'm always happy to see a comic movie do well, so here's hoping :wishluck: