• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's first female

42 posts in this topic

Was wondering who was the first Marvel female character to have her own ongoing solo series...?

WONDER WOMEN!!!! thumbsup2.gif

(oh, you said Marvel, didnt you.... blush.gif)

Probably Mille the Model (actually started in the pre-Marvel Atlas days), but I'm not sure about female super-heroes.

As a "superhero", Millie becomes "The Blonde Phantom" in issue #2 according to OS.

But "Blonde Phantom" (formerly All-Select Comics) isn't Millie. Huh. thumbsup2.gif

Probably Mille the Model (actually started in the pre-Marvel Atlas days), but I'm not sure about female super-heroes.

As a "superhero", Millie becomes "The Blonde Phantom" in issue #2 according to OS.

But "Blonde Phantom" (formerly All-Select Comics) isn't Millie. Huh. thumbsup2.gif

Just found this bit of info about # 2 at the Silver Age Marvel Comics Cover Index:

http://www.samcci.comics.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------

"In this issue, Millie appears in an ad campaign dressed as "the Blonde Phantom," a character which debuted later that year as a Timely Comics super-hero (All-Select #11)."

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's also interesting about Mille the Model is that some issues (as early as # 4 from 1947) are denoted on the cover as "A Marvel Magazine". Fun stuff. Definitely an underappreciated comic and one that I haven't seen many of. I wonder if LucyBop has any of these... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Was it Red Sonja in '75? She-Hulk in '76?

The Cat was way before those. It was a 20c book- 1972.

Blonde Phantom was '46 which is earlier than both Namora and Venus. I can't think of anything earlier.

I was thinking Marvel as in Fantastic Four #1 on, but any information is cool.

Then it would likely be one of the following:

Black Widow shared a book with the Inhumans, but her name was on the cover.

The trio of The Cat, Shanna the She-Devil and Night Nurse (okay, not a super hero, but they were trying).

Blonde Phantom was '46 which is earlier than both Namora and Venus. I can't think of anything earlier.

Yep... Blonde Phantom got her own title, but it started with #12. (All-Select #1-#11.)

The "first issue" (#12) also says "A Marvel Magazine" in the top left of the cover.

http://www.toonopedia.com/blondeph.htm

Yep... Blonde Phantom got her own title, but it started with #12. (All-Select #1-#11.)

#12, which was the Winter '46/47 issue. Venus was '48 and Namora was either '48 or '49.

Right you are, Rob. The Cat was circa '73, and obviously borrowed from Catwoman.

485908-Image_1.jpg

even back then the proportions were, ah...slightly exaggerated, eh!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're talking a/b Marvel as we know it now (post FF 1) it would have to be The Cat (Nov '72) followed by Shanna the She Devil (Dec '72).

Funny thing a/b The Cat... She gets this suit and then get's turned into Tigra and ditches the suit. Patsy Walker get the suit and becomes the new Cat. Then finds out she is the Daughter of Satan devil.gif and changes her name to Hellcat!!!

Daughter of Satan devil.gif!!! WTF!!! I bet those boys back in the '50 wish they had tried to get a little farther with her. Daughter of Satan devil.gif has to put out -- it's the law.

Wow! Blonde Phantom 22 had the Marvel Logo in March 1949. Venus 4 had the Marvel logo in April 1949. GREAT CALL!!!!!!!!!!!