• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic gradeing

11 posts in this topic

I have been collecting comics for years and have quite a collection.can someone "please" point me in the right direction to have my comics graded? a website an address ,anything.I cannot find any information on gradeing what so ever.Any information would be greatly appreciated.mike

I would recomend this place and get the 20 percent off.

http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?GradingCompany=CGC&affiliate=HC

Davidking623

I have been collecting comics for years and have quite a collection.can someone "please" point me in the right direction to have my comics graded? a website an address ,anything.I cannot find any information on gradeing what so ever.Any information would be greatly appreciated.mike

Buy this book immediately. Overstreet Grading Guide

Yes - buy the book - be TOTALLY OBJECTIVE. Be so objective pick up each of your books and pretend you are BUYING them and then comapre to the grading guide, if you want to start learning how to grade. You can do it!

Yes - buy the book - be TOTALLY OBJECTIVE. Be so objective pick up each of your books and pretend you are BUYING them and then comapre to the grading guide, if you want to start learning how to grade. You can do it!

Along these lines -- I have found that the best way to be completely objective when grading my own books is to write down grading notes as I examine the book. Look at the book very closely, measure and write down each defect, examine the book from different angles, especially with the book at a raking angle towards a light source so that you can see surface impressions and other non-color-breaking defects. Note defects to the interior pages as well as the exterior. When you've written down all of the defects you can see, put the book away, and compare the written defects to the examples in the Overstreet Grading Guide. Only after you have pinned the grade down to a tight range of one or two possible grades should you pull the book out again and compare it to the examples in the two grade levels you are looking at.

You may find that it is a lot easier to grade your own books objectively by using this method, as it can be tough to be objective when you're looking at a VF/NM book with super gloss and just one or two tiny defects that take the book out of NM.

When you've written down all of the defects you can see, put the book away, and compare the written defects to the examples in the Overstreet Grading Guide.

I admit that is a sweet way of doing it. I might add to wait a few days or so before doing that, so the image is not still fresh in your mind. But excellent advice! You betcha!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Get together with a few Comic Book Buddies and get them to show you a few things. That is probaly the best way. Try a Comic shop and ask someone who works there. Grading is crucial in this hobby.

CAL hi.gif

Welcome to the boards!

You're already miles ahead of most "uninformed" collectors simply because you're here - in the CGC boards! Read through the Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues and check out the pics and posts - that'll give you a good idea of what some grades are. And don't be like me and only look at the CGC number - I was disappointed with CGC 9.0's until I realized that those are VFNM books!

WELCOME TO THE FREAKIN' BOARDS

Now, go get a spell-checker, newbie! 27_laughing.gif

He needs a new space bar more than a spell checker. smirk.gif