• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

School me on the current Marvel re-boots

14 posts in this topic

I was at a comic shop the other day to kill some time. It's not one of the places that I normally go since this was all just moderns stuff and TPBs. I was looking at the wall comics and noticed that Captain America now also included Bucky....ok no problem...but then I saw Journey into Mystery 600 and some odd. I asked the guy at the counter which book did this continue from to which the guy was clueless. I still saw the Thor title still going, so answer me this, oh modern comic knowing people, how in the heck did JIM get over 600 and what did it continue from? :ohnoez:

I find the current Fantastic Four and FF numbering drop / join / split combination rather head-spinning and I am happy not to have to figure out a way to organize them in long boxes!!

For those not in the loop, IIRC, Fantastic Four ended then FF started and after 12 issues or so, Fantastic Four reappeared for # 600, meaning that the numbering kept going during the FF series but after the 600, the TWO series continued with a Fantastic Four 601 and a FF 13 or 14. A headache to file.

I don't know anything about the Cap or Hulk ones but I think v2 of the Hulk series that became Hercules set up the new MO that Marvel follows - publish 'core' title, establish numbering, pull switcheroo that gets some collectors to continue to pick up now secondary title w/established numbering plus add'l core title that is either an anniversary issue or #1.

Fantastic Four stopped at 588, continued in FF 1 to 11, then rebooted at 600 with FF 12 continuing as a secondary FF title until it eventually gets cancelled.

Thor title after new series went 1-12 it went back to numbering at 600 then went back to JIM at 622 or something, w/Mighty Thor #1 rebooting Thor stories while JIM continues w/kid Loki until it eventually gets cancelled.

Daredevil v2 went to 119 flipped to #500, ran for 12 issues then became Black Panther which is now scheduled for cancellation; DD rebooted at 1 after 4 issue Reborn mini.

Iron Man's recently went back to 500 - I think the history for the Iron Man title is as complicated as Cap or Hulk so I won't go into it as I'd like to avoid the exploding head thing alluded to earlier in this thread.

I think the Avengers to New Avengers to the current four title split is one that challenges them a bit but it wouldn't surprise me too much to see Avengers 600 in a year; 503 + finale, New Avengers v1 plus finale followed by latest rebooted Avengers title which will end in the low 30's. By then it'll probably be down to only 2 Avengers titles with Avengers getting the #600 with New Avengers continuing with current low numbering.

I find the current Fantastic Four and FF numbering drop / join / split combination rather head-spinning and I am happy not to have to figure out a way to organize them in long boxes!!

For those not in the loop, IIRC, Fantastic Four ended then FF started and after 12 issues or so, Fantastic Four reappeared for # 600, meaning that the numbering kept going during the FF series but after the 600, the TWO series continued with a Fantastic Four 601 and a FF 13 or 14. A headache to file.

There are two Fantastic Four titles now?

There are two Fantastic Four titles now?

Yes; FF (the new series) includes all the Fantastic Four family (and even Doc Doom). Stands for Future Foundation. This replaced the regular Fantastic Four when Johnny died.

Now that Johnny is back, Fantastic Four (re)started again at #600.

To the OP: Like someone said, don't let the renumbering confuse you. Nothing has been "rebooted"; so the continuity you read before (whenever you collected Marvel, be it the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, or '00s) is still intact. There was a brief *hiccup* in the '90s with Heroes Reborn/Return, but everything is back to "normal" now :insane: Know that the issues numbers (e.g. restarting at #1, renumbering at #500/600/etc.) were mostly just for publicity and/or sales spike.

IF, however, you are looking for a Marvel "reboot", the Ultimate line of Marvel comics started in 2000.

DC recently had a reboot with their new 52 (except for the GL, Batman lines).

There are two Cap books. He has a solo book being written by Ed Brubaker that started with a fresh #1 recently.

The second book you saw on the shelf is Captain America and Bucky which is continuing the ongoing numbering of Captain America (I don't know how Marvel plans to reconcile their numbering long term). This series is currently focusing on the WWII Cap and Bucky years.

There are two Cap books. He has a solo book being written by Ed Brubaker that started with a fresh #1 recently.

The second book you saw on the shelf is Captain America and Bucky which is continuing the ongoing numbering of Captain America (I don't know how Marvel plans to reconcile their numbering long term). This series is currently focusing on the WWII Cap and Bucky years.

They'll probably do the Hulk/Incredible Hulk thing where they merge into one again, albeit briefly.

To the OP: Like someone said, don't let the renumbering confuse you. Nothing has been "rebooted"; but the continuity you read before (whenever you collected Marvel, be it the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, or '00s) is still ignored and mess upon.

Fixed.

As far as renumbering goes, Marvel's plan for this year is to immediately restart all their titles at 1. The numbering will then proceed as follows:

1a

1b

1c

1d

etc.

for a NUMBER 1! or X00th ANNIVERSARY ISSUE! every month!!!! Woo hoo!!

Also, every issue will have 37 variant covers.

don't forget those "blank" covers......

agreed... marvels numbering is just a way to boost sales. just look at the x-men...once in a while they would go back to #1. because "wolverine" is on the title now, or they split-up (blue or gold team anyone) or they have a new home, or wolvie got a new nail polisher for his claws...either way it's all a gimmick

i read them but between all the renaming & the #2 .02 ect honestly its hard to keep track lol

JIM is a great title though ... I'd suggest it & then JMS thor which is already collected in omnibus format for the most part