• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The John Carter of Mars GA Scanning Project
2 2

366 posts in this topic

Awesome David! Especially that Al Williamson sketch! :applause:

I appreciate all the kind words from everbody and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. I had a great time doing it.

I've had a request to post the JC covers one last time, so I'll close with that.

Kaor!

Funnies35FileCGC85fc-1.jpg

This thread is like an old friend who died, and you try to call a week later. I keep looking at it hoping that someone has added something interesting, but I guess it really is over. Thanks again, Jeff, for a great read and a chance to see those pages, many for the first time.

This thread is like an old friend who died, and you try to call a week later. I keep looking at it hoping that someone has added something interesting, but I guess it really is over. Thanks again, Jeff, for a great read and a chance to see those pages, many for the first time.

I miss it too. :(

I sent this to Rich (Yellow Kid) but for anyone interested in the business side of the movies, Disney, Pixar or even why Hollywood is different than Main Street the linked article is an interesting read.

I don't suppose these scans are available in one place? I plan on downloading them one at a time and printing to read the old fashioned way! Thanks for putting this together.

John Carter Movie

I sent this to Rich (Yellow Kid) but for anyone interested in the business side of the movies, Disney, Pixar or even why Hollywood is different than Main Street the linked article is an interesting read.

I don't suppose these scans are available in one place? I plan on downloading them one at a time and printing to read the old fashioned way! Thanks for putting this together.

John Carter Movie

A lot of them are also being uploaded at ERBzine. They've used some of mine and I've used some of theirs.

That article is really one-sided and misleading. Check out the John Carter thread in General for a number of articles that take on this type of unfair, lazy "journalism."

The bottom line is, the movie really good. The critics should have been reviewing the movie---not the budget. Here is a good article dicussing the media and critical reception this film has received:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/03/11/john-carter-opens-with-100-million-worldwide/

Edit: this comment was a response to the NYT article posted by 40Yrs.

I read this article last Sunday and liked it a lot. When things don't go as planned, the press is often quick to use the word failure, but the angle in this article was interesting and constructive. One of the things that struck me is how Disney's management is protective of their talent, in particular Iger's emphasis of learning from a failure rather than pointing fingers. I didn't get to interact with Andrew Stanton myself when I was at Pixar, but many of my friends worked for him on "Finding Nemo". Lasseter and Catmull are both exceptionally nice and sensitive people and they took always very good care of the directors. Being a director on one of these movies is hard enough when the outcome is a success, and I can only imagine what it must be like to be in Mr. Stanton's shoes right now.

Edited by tb

John Carter Movie

A lot of them are also being uploaded at ERBzine. They've used some of mine and I've used some of theirs.

That article is really one-sided and misleading. Check out the John Carter thread in General for a number of articles that take on this type of unfair, lazy "journalism."

The bottom line is, the movie really good. The critics should have been reviewing the movie---not the budget. Here is a good article dicussing the media and critical reception this film has received:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/03/11/john-carter-opens-with-100-million-worldwide/

The article addresses the business side of the movie and the internal politics; not the movie itself. From that aspect I found it both interesting and insightful. I can't address the merits of this movie as I have not seen it. I agree that the media focuses on the initial weekend numbers to the detriment of the story; I find that reporting much more biased than this article.

For several years now I have been particularly annoyed with NPR's Monday morning report on the weekend's movie showing; it might as well be a sports report. Just a listing of the gross receipts with a movie called a winner if it makes big money with no recognition of its critical attributes.

The fact is is that the movie business is driven by gross receipts and it is the rare studio that makes an exception to that rule when making a film. In fact John Carter got a lot of leeway and it will be talked about at the Disney studio for a long time. We can only hope that the international numbers continue strong so it might show less of a loss at this point.

A few years back on the 100th anniversary of Buster Brown, NPR called me for a phone interview. It didn't go well. They wanted a liberal analysis of the strip and a condemnation of Outcault. I pointed out that every Sunday, Buster was punished for his transgressions and the final panel was always title: "Resolved" and Buster promised to be good. I can see why someone might not like the Yellow Kid and his gang of street urchins, but I would have thought all parents would like the message in Buster Brown. My interviewer also said she wished I would do more of a psychological analysis of the strip, I refused, and the interview came to an untimely end. I no longer listen to NPR unless it is a musical program.

A few years back on the 100th anniversary of Buster Brown, NPR called me for a phone interview. It didn't go well. They wanted a liberal analysis of the strip and a condemnation of Outcault. I pointed out that every Sunday, Buster was punished for his transgressions and the final panel was always title: "Resolved" and Buster promised to be good. I can see why someone might not like the Yellow Kid and his gang of street urchins, but I would have thought all parents would like the message in Buster Brown. My interviewer also said she wished I would do more of a psychological analysis of the strip, I refused, and the interview came to an untimely end. I no longer listen to NPR unless it is a musical program.

I thought it was just me but I find myself tuning them out more often than not other than the headline portion. I wish I had heard the Buster Brown piece; trying to place contemporary mores on a hundred year old strip just strikes me as ignorance. I also notice that their current reporters don't seem to have a firm grasp of chronological history. My Iphone plays through the radio, I tend to listen to podcasts anymore. I will stick to the paper.

The fact is is that the movie business is driven by gross receipts and it is the rare studio that makes an exception to that rule when making a film. In fact John Carter got a lot of leeway and it will be talked about at the Disney studio for a long time. We can only hope that the international numbers continue strong so it might show less of a loss at this point.

That is my hope and that if it manages to break even maybe a lower budget sequel will be possible. But it's a slim hope. And it's a real shame. I just got back from my second viewing and I think I enjoyed it even more this time.