• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The John Carter of Mars GA Scanning Project
2 2

366 posts in this topic

What happened to Sab Than? Going back a few panels, John Carter threw him into several of his own men. Then Carter dispatches some other fighters, and also disposes of Than Kosis. Tars Tarkas eventually breaks through and takes care of the rest of the Zodangans. It appears the fate of Sab Than is still uncertain. Did he die, escape, or move to the side lines of the battle after being thrown by John Carter into his own onrushing men? Or did he die along with the rest of the Zodagans after Tars Tarkas and his men arrived and won the battle?

What happened to Sab Than? Going back a few panels, John Carter threw him into several of his own men. Then Carter dispatches some other fighters, and also disposes of Than Kosis. Tars Tarkas eventually breaks through and takes care of the rest of the Zodangans. It appears the fate of Sab Than is still uncertain. Did he die, escape, or move to the side lines of the battle after being thrown by John Carter into his own onrushing men? Or did he die along with the rest of the Zodagans after Tars Tarkas and his men arrived and won the battle?

The comic version here doesn't really make it clear, but in the original novel he is killed in the fight with the Tharks along with along with the rest of the Zogandans. His death isn't described though; his body is just mentioned as lying next to his father's in the aftermath of the battle.

I don't know if it's poor coloring or printing, but the art seems to fall off in quality around #46.

I think on some pages that is the case, but I also think JCB's art looks weaker in some places too, like he was rushed or something.

I just finished reading the 73 John Carter Sunday tear sheets from December, 1941, through April, 1943, and found it interesting that p.73 corresponded with p.31 of the John Carter story in The Funnies. I assume that means that all pages after p.31 represent original art drawn for The Funnies, which might account for some difference in appearance after p.31 as Burroughs now had deadlnes to meet.