• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics that have a musty smell - damaged?

38 posts in this topic

Put in a container with an open box of baking soda. I had a musty book once that I wanted to give as a gift (bought it on ebay) and the baking soda trick worked really well.

Definitely, and the clay kitty litter example is intended for multiple books. If you've just got one, baking soda would probably work better.

Not the musty kind, but I like the smell of old comics...

I went to a Con this weekend and I was over an old couple of boxes and Man!

that old smell of old ink and paper sent me way back in the old days of going to

the Flea Market and dreaming of having the nice books I have today. grin.gif

I was thinking of sealing it in an air tight box with a bunch of cedar blocks for about a month... perhaps the cedar will absorb the remaining musty smell and leave it cedar fresh. grin.gif If I do my experiment, I will report back. hi.gif

Try clay-based kitty litter.

Make sure the comic is protected (cardboard between it and the litter, bagged but open, and then seal it in a box with the kitty litter. thumbsup2.gif

Just make sure the kitty doesn't get near it.....

kittypee.jpg

The single most telling smell. in my opinion, is not "musty" but "vinegary". A vinegar smell indicates acetic acid. Acetic acid is the stuff cast when paper begins to acidify. A bad thing. It means the book is already rather acid and, even with proper storage, will break down sooner than non-acetic acid smell books.

And if anyone here knows about the long term effects of acid it would be POV.

The single most telling smell. in my opinion, is not "musty" but "vinegary". A vinegar smell indicates acetic acid. Acetic acid is the stuff cast when paper begins to acidify. A bad thing. It means the book is already rather acid and, even with proper storage, will break down sooner than non-acetic acid smell books.

why???? did he used to "drop" back in the day????devil.gif

By the looks of things, yes.

Moi? Not at all!!!!

WHOAH!!!!!!! Did you just see THAT?????? COOL!!!!!

17 year old thread!

Is a seller that attends local comic conventions and his comics all have a strong cigarette smell to them. I wont buy books from him anymore because of the smell. Is to bad as he has a lot of golden age books.

I tried putting a musty comic book into the freezer for a week , I think it helped a little bit , I tried using a dryer clothe inside a musty comic , I don’t think that one works, I dislike musty comics , they are deal breaker for me, they make a whole room smell😡😡😷