• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone been charged 'courier fees' by shipping to Canada?

10 posts in this topic

I recently emailed an Ebay Seller for permisson to bid on a number of CGC books on auction. I live in Canada and the seller stated that they did not ship outside the "Continental US" - I have 1900 impeccable feedback and stated in my email that I paid day after auction end with a US Money Order drawn on the Partner of my Canadian Bank, that being a Chase Manhattan in Syracuse NY. I also stated that I would pay for 'Global Priority' at "full declared value" - They were good books. I received the following reply (cut and pasted from her email):

I don't have a problem with you bidding on our books as long as you have an address in the US we can ship to. It's the extra shipping problems that we want to avoid. (The last 2 times I accepted bids from Canada I got hit with courier fees.) I will ship to any address in the US. If you have someone that will accept the books for you and then mail them to you, that would be fine. Hope this answers your question.

My question is has anyone else encountered these "fees"?

I've sent plenty of orders to Canada, amongst other locales outside the US and I have no idea what "courier fees' are. I ship via USPS- there, the rate is the rate. Maybe this has something to do with a seller who's using UPS or Fed Ex? Anyone else?

I've sent plenty of orders to Canada, amongst other locales outside the US and I have no idea what "courier fees' are. I ship via USPS- there, the rate is the rate. Maybe this has something to do with a seller who's using UPS or Fed Ex? Anyone else?
It could relate to fed-ex or UPS. The fed-ex waybill usually has a space regarding who's responsible for paying the duties. Maybe the seller checked the wrong box. Otherwise, I don't know of any fees that the seller would have to endure other than the shipping cost! confused-smiley-013.gif

I ship to Canada all the time for my website ( computer stuff not comics ) the only problem I have with shipping to Canada is CUSTOMS...everything must go through Customs and they are rather harsh on your stuff, it never gets re-wrapped the way it is supposed to and so on. I have had stuff missing and broken because of customs (well, I can't PROVE that) and so on. At the very minimum, it adds time onto shipping.

I use FedEx now exclusively because the get everything through fast, and they insure everything etc. etc. and so on.

So yes, I can see people NOT wanting to ship to Canada... not sure about a duty/tax/fee though...never heard of that.

I also have a question. I had a buyer ask me to check the GIFT box and mark the value as $5.00. Is this common???

Basically, checking the GIFT box means nothing as long as the declared value is high, so that's why the GIFT box as well as a minimal declared value. Some sellers are willing to do this and some state clearly in their auction details that they will not falsify documents. Personally, I've never understood why a seller would declare high values for comic books specifically on that green customs sticker. It's not as if they'll get any part of the customs fee that the government collects. Worse, if the package is lost, it's not like the declared value on the sticker will be reimbursed to anyone. Only insurance will do that. Worse, I've personally experienced sellers who over-inflate the value and I end up footing the customs bill for a value greater than the actual one of the book. This, I've never understood.

Worse, I've personally experienced sellers who over-inflate the value and I end up footing the customs bill for a value greater than the actual one of the book. This, I've never understood.

Stating the correct value (ie. EBay sale amount not including shipping) I can understand, but some dolts sell a $5 book, and put $100 on the customs sticker. And like you said, it's not like anyone is going to get reimbursed for an uninsured package.

Personally, I think it's the seller's way of getting back at you for getting what they see as "a deal".

More than likely, the seller shipped to Canada via UPS or FedEx - and because of the customs charges, the buyer did not accept the package. At that point, the seller is responsible for the payment. Absurd, but true.

Let the seller know that by using USPS Globabl Priority Mail that can't happen. He can check on the USPS web site if need be.

As for marking the Customs form Gift / $5.00 - I don't do it. I put down Comic books as the item's description and list the acutal purchase price. I make it clear in my listings and follow-on e-mails that customs charges are the winner's responsibility.

Of course, Canadian Customs can open any package and assess a fee just for their "service." Winners just have to love that one!

Larry

/ps/ Info from CanadaPost web site:

All prices and fees published in the Canada Postal Guide are subject to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), and to the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) or to the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), where applicable. However, prices and fees for items mailed to foreign destinations or Canadian Forces Post Offices are not subject to sales taxes if the total price per transaction is $5 or more. Unless covered by a contract or sales agreement, all prices and fees may be changed without notice.

Parcels entering Canada through Canada Post screening centres will be inspected by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers and assessed for applicable Customs duties, taxes and charges. Items will be delivered along with the E14 Customs Invoice affixed indicating the assessed taxes, duties and charges that must be paid by the addressee before the package can be released to them.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) collects provincial retail sales taxes (PST) on most taxable imports valued at over $20CDN entering Québec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The CBSA also collects Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) on most taxable imports entering Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Collection of the PST and HST is done in accordance with CBSA and provincial governments' agreements.

Yep, I know UPS has some kind of fee to serve as the shipper's "broker" to get the package through customs, at least to Canada anyway.