• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rethinking the "blank" megathreads...

41 posts in this topic

Ok, so it was mid 2007 and Marvel puts out FALLEN SON #3 with a variant "blank" cover. For the 1st time, a major comic company put out a mass-produced comic with a cover specifically made for fans to get sketches on from various artists.

Since there was just the one, people got not just Captain America sketches, but all sorts of different characters sketched on them, sometimes even from other comic companies. And since they were so varied and so cool, why not start a thread here to showcase all the different sketches that ended up on a Fallen Son #3? Cool idea, and so the "Fallen Son #3 megathread" was born. Soon Marvel also put out blank variants for Secret Invasion #1, then Dark Avengers #1, and on-an-on. And each one of those books got their own respective megathread here showing various cool sketches.

The problem (IMHO) though, in retrospect, is that having all these threads divided by the title/issue number doesn't make sense since besides the logo, the blanks are pretty interchangeable. Does a Wolverine sketch really have to be sorted by rather it's on an "X-Men #7" blank? Or a "Wolverine #1" blank? Or a "Marvels Project #1" blank?

What I'm thinking is that it might be better if magathreads were sorted by artists instead of title/issue number. You know, if it was "John Cassaday megathread", "George Perez megathread", "Stuart Sayger megathread" etc. instead. For one thing, the various threads most likely wouldn't be 60+ pages long, and it would be easier to find a sketch you had once seen here on the boards, but couldn't remember which blank it was on.

A big added benefit would also be with upcoming conventions, you could check out which artists will be attending, and check out their megethread here to get a good sampling of their work.

What do the rest of you guys think? Would it be a good idea to start a whole new batch of megathreads based on artists instead of blanks?

Could care less blah blah blah....

:gossip: *Couldn't* care less

Hahaha I just had to. :shy:

Really though I agree with you that doing a megathread by artist is probably the best option. I think that makes more sense than doing it by character, but by character would be my second choice.

But then we will just have 60+ threads of different artists instead of 12 different megathreads of covers.

Yeah, but is the number of threads a problem?

Each one would obviously be distinctive based on artist. And one could search out an artist's thread easily via the search function.

And at any rate, we're talking the same number of posts. Just divided into something like 100 threads with with 4 or 5 pages instead of 12 threads with 60 pages.

It maybe due to the fact that I dislike change but I really like having each blank have its own mega-thread. As Brian said it is a lot more manageable then having each and every artist have their own thread. There are still a pretty finite amount of blanks and many similar blanks have been lumped into one (ie the Alphatrion SuperPimptacular Megathread) and X-Men Megathread (#1, #7 Uncanny X-men and Wolverine & X-Men can all fit in that one)

I say keep it as it is.

I am with Dan on this one, for a number of reasons. First off, if it aint broke don't fix it. I know exactly where to go to post my new sketches and so does everyone else. Secondly, it will be awful to have to deal with the inevitable duplication that will occur if they are redone by artist or character. Oh boy, there is a fourth megathread for the hot new artist, Donkey McIlhaney.. Finally, it is easy to search by artist name to find what you are looking for without reposting four and a half years of sketches.

It maybe due to the fact that I dislike change but I really like having each blank have its own mega-thread. As Brian said it is a lot more manageable then having each and every artist have their own thread. There are still a pretty finite amount of blanks and many similar blanks have been lumped into one (ie the Alphatrion SuperPimptacular Megathread) and X-Men Megathread (#1, #7 Uncanny X-men and Wolverine & X-Men can all fit in that one)

I say keep it as it is.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Dan. I'm not suggesting Arch or Dena or someone going into the already existing blank megathreads and dividing them up.

There's no reason both ideas couldn't happen concurrently. Someone could come home from a convention with, say, a Deadpool sketch by Greg Kirkpatrick on an an Uncanny X-Force #1 blank, and post a scan in both the "Uncanny X-Force #1 megathread" and the "Greg Kirkpatrick megathread".

And this just occurred to me- when someone here is starting a sketch opp for a particular artist, they could include in the post a link to that artist's megathread.

I am with Dan on this one, for a number of reasons. First off, if it aint broke don't fix it. I know exactly where to go to post my new sketches and so does everyone else. Secondly, it will be awful to have to deal with the inevitable duplication that will occur if they are redone by artist or character. Oh boy, there is a fourth megathread for the hot new artist, Donkey McIlhaney.. Finally, it is easy to search by artist name to find what you are looking for without reposting four and a half years of sketches.

But why would "Donkey McIIhaney" have 4 megathreads? The point is each artist would have their own, single, megathread.

But why would "Donkey McIIhaney" have 4 megathreads? The point is each artist would have

their own, single, megathread.

The mods have had to consolidate megathreads for individual blanks on a couple of occasions. And there are only a dozen and a half of those. With infinitely many artists and Boardies' propensity for being Search functiontards it is a metaphysical certitude that there will be multiple threads all over the place.

Boardies' propensity for being Search functiontards it is a metaphysical certitude that there will be multiple threads all over the place.

lol^^

+1

While it is a good idea. I like the way it is now :)