• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do the dealers come up with their prices ???

115 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been mentioned before on the forum, but I am going to throw it out there again. - I am often puzzled as to where dealers come up with their prices if they clain "Ebay isn't a price guide !" - I have problems with this reasoning.

Now, say that a dealer has a Defenders 10 that guides for $40.00 in NM according to Overstreet. This book in CGC 9.4 is being offered for $350.00 - So, if this is a multiple of guide and it works out to almost 9 times guide. Based on what ?? - To take this point further , if a Defenders 10 in 9.4 is worth 9 times guide, then say a Batman 251 9.4 is 250.00 - This works out to 5 times guide. These are both great books, extremely sought after, and difficult in high grade....yet they guide for vastly different amounts. Metropolis Comics has a GL 76 9.2 that they have for 1200.00 --- Now, I have sold this book in this grade for $810. - which was very high. - And I have seen others sell it for 700-800 range a couple of times...both on ebay and on other sites. - WHERE DOES METROPOLIS get off selling it for that price ??!! - And I am not isolating Metropolis. Or Blazing or Harley Yee or Comic Link etc...

I could go on forever. My point is that is it a dollar amount or a multiple of guide that dealers come up with to determine what they will sell the books at ?? - Or is it based on what they pay ??

I would love input and opinions.

They've got a lot of customers, and they're often willing to haggle a bit. From a business perspective, it's better to slightly overprice rare, popular items you can't restock than to underprice them. At the worst, you're stuck with a book that a ton of people want for a few months, a year or two at the most. If the need for quick cash comes up, you can just offer the book to regular customers at a lower price.

Where else you gonna go to get books like that? Usually, nowhere. Offering highly reasonable prices is something 90% of retail businesses have to do, but high grade old comics isn't a typical retail business. Sucks from a collector's perspective, but it's understandable if you step back and think about it. I've tried to talk Storms down on his Fantastic Four #49 CGC 9.2 at $850 a few times, but he won't budge. I see his perspective--that it's a tough book to find in grade--and I understand completely.

Metropolis Comics has a GL 76 9.2 that they have for 1200.00 --- Now, I have sold this book in this grade for $810. - which was very high. - And I have seen others sell it for 700-800 range a couple of times...both on ebay and on other sites. - WHERE DOES METROPOLIS get off selling it for that price ?

I paid about $950 for this book. I priced it at $1200. I really didn't mean to insult you. Am I supposed to contact the entire collecting public before I decide on how to price one of my comics in order to prevent the possibility that someone out there may be offended.

I have not seen 9.2s of this book for $700. Maybe I am not looking in the right places. I seem to remember a 9.4 selling on eBay about 6 months ago for a bit over $2100. I based my price on this sale.

I really didn't mean to insult you. Am I supposed to contact the entire collecting public before I decide on how to price one of my comics in order to prevent the possibility that someone out there may be

See...this is exactly the type of caustic , juvenille, immature response that I was expecting. I don't expect ANY dealer to check with ANYONE regarding prices. I even said in my post that this was no jab at Metropolis or Blazing, or Harley or Motor City or anyone else. I also said that " is it based on what they paid ??"

Some books are priced at a really good price, others are about right and others are way out there.....just wanted the dealers intput.

A funny story.

About a year and a half ago, I was offered a 9.4 X-Men #4 for a price that I felt was too high. When I passed on the book, the seller got rather angry. I received an insulting email that stated since I have the phrase "highest prices paid", I should somehow be obligated to pay his price. It was the only time I have ever been attacked by a seller because I wouldn't pay his price. That email came from a Mr. Shuley

Now I am being attacked because someone feels that I should not ask $1200 for a CGC 9.2 Green Lantern 76. "Where do dealers come up with their prices" That attack is also coming from a Mr. Shuley.

It really is a small world.

Listen, I am not attacking you... and as far as my family relations, we all have our crosses to bear. - There is defintely a failure to communicate. I am not attacking anyone, but you what, if you feel that I am, then so be it. re-read the post.....I have never bought or dealt with you guys over at Metroplis, so I can't say I had a bad experiance. - But, I think I am getting a pretty good idea ....

So let me get this straight - the "WHERE DOES METROPOLIS get off selling it for that price ??!!" from your first post wasn't meant to be a jab at Metropolis??? Yeah....right.... smirk.gif I think you might have been surprised that someone from Metropolis actually replied to your message.

Anyways, just stating the obvious - I think the larger dealers, Metropolis, Harley, etc. have such a reputation and large customer base that they can get away with charging a little more than the average joe. Of course, what they paid for the comic would come in to play since they aren't in the business to lose money.

I'm also sure that they aren't hurting for cash enough that if the book doesn't sell at the higher price right away that they would need to drop the price. They can just keep it and wait until the right buyer comes along.

Yeah, I guess your right.....maybe that was a jab at Metropolis, a little one, but a jab nonetheless.

And speaking of Metropolis, Vincent (I 'm assuming this is you, I could be wrong)

reciting a story about what my brother did or said has nothing to do with me. I am not responsible for what a 25 yr. old man does or doesn't do. We aren't the same person, but everyone on this board thinks so. And you obviously don't hold too much of a gruge against him....you had NO PROBLEM taking the two grand for the Journey into Mystery. smirk.gif

this thread is too funny I figured Metropolis based his price on what he paid. Being one of the largest dealers they can afford to pay more and hence have to charge more to keep the high demand books in stock. I think collectors falsely assume all the dealers buy their stock for pennies on the dollar. I am sure they do get finds from time to time but I think most of the better quality stuff is already within the hobby and no matter who you are you will pay a good percentage or even multiple to obtain it. Still funny stuff!

I would guess that they price their stuff based on what they think the market will bear. For example, I bought a comic from a Dealer for $1500 knowing exactly what they paid for it (it was from Heritage's July Auction that I missed). They paid about $1200 in July and I paid $1500 in December. I'm not going to begrudge them their profit. I wish it had been less, but who wouldn't? This was a very scarce comic, in fact the highest graded CGC copy and I should have bought it in July.

But I still paid less than Heritage's expected sale amount, which was around $1800 so looking at it that way, we both got a deal.

Then there's another dealer with a Superboy 123 CGC 9.4 that's listed for $375. HAR HAR HAR HAR! I can't imaging anyone is going to pay that. The book is not scarce. While the 9.4 is currently the highest graded, I don't want it that badly. It's not like it's a key issue or anything. But more power to him if he can get that for it!

Naming me in the post and then not mentioning that I sold you that GL #76 9.2 for $500 which you sold for $810 is something I have a bit of an issue with. Questioning how I price something yet failing to note that the book you made $310 off after buying it from me is a little bit unfair. Sorry GMAN, but Shuley did make a profit on this deal grin.gif

Happy New year!

well dealers and stores have over-head as well as the cost of the books so that might factor in to the cost as well as the ability to negotiate down to a reasonable price and still make a decent profit. And many businesses work on a certain percentage basis that they do not want to deviate from. Maybe it is 20%, maybe 40%. Who knows? If I purchase a book for $100 and then 6 months later sell it at $110, if I am a business, I would have to close the doors and head for the poor house.

Private buyers and sellers usually can't compete with the dealers in purchasing large collections but we can have an advantage on the individual books because can or sometimes want to pay the extra price.

I think the point is - if no one ever bought from them because their prices were too high, they would lower them. If their prices are too high for you - don't buy from them. It's that simple.

If everyone's prices are too high for you - then maybe you need to re-evaluate what fair market price is in your mind.

CGC graded comics 9.4 and up on pre-75 stuff always goes for multiples of guide - especially key or perceived keys.

Yes Mr. Shuley,

I do believe that you and your brother may be one and the same. Maybe you are and maybe you aren't. And I had a very big problem with dealing with you considering how I have been treated in the past. There was debate as to whether or not to return your deposit check. Vincent and I gave you time payments in order for you to buy your Journey into Mystery. Even after this, your treatment of Metropolis continues to be rather shabby.

The Other Half,

Stephen Fishler