• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does an extra staple in the spine constitute restoration?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all-- I've got an X-Men #1 i just picked up, and it's got an extra staple in the spine. I wanted to know if this constitutes restoration?

I'd grade the book at about a 1.5- 2.0 depending on how they feel that day. If i get a chance, i'll add pictures.

Much appreciated!

I'm almost sure that an extra staple isn't considered to be a restoration.

No. It's like tape and considered damage. It's a foolish attempt at repair by a youngster that detracts from the grade. Repair is not restoration but merely damage. I know that was a hurdle for me at first with CGC... How could they overlook tape but nail tear seal but that really make sense when you think about it.

Restoration is when you add something or take something away from a comic book to attempt to "restore" it's condition. Repair is when you try to "fix" a tear with tape or a loose cover with new staples that really only damage the book.

And pressing isn't restoration since nothing that can be noticed is being added or taken away from the book. (Heated water vapor can't be noticed after the fact.)