• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Wolverine #102.5

13 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone.

This book has me puzzled.

There is so little data about it on the Internet.

GCD states that this book was a "Mail-away comic somehow connected with the Fleer trading cards produced for Marvel. The cover was used as art for the Fleer Ultra X-Men set and an interior pin-up was used for the Marvel Masterpiece 1996 set. Numbering indicates that this story takes place between Wolverine (Marvel, 1988 series) #102 and 103." and Dan Slott talks about it on this forum thread where he explains the mystery of this book.

"Why the strange numbering? Because continuity-wise the "story" runs between WOLVERINE #102 and #103. 'Duh.

Why is the darn thing such a strange read? Well, let me tell you...

Because each page of WOLVERINE #102.5 is actually 9 trading cards.

Yes, you read that right. Instead of putting stats on the back of the FLEER WOLVERINE '96 card set, each sheet of 9 cards linked together to form a single comic book page-- not a 9 panel comic book page-- a normal comic book page.

FLEER had two stipulations: that every card feature the majority of at least one figure-- and to put as many characters as possible into the 11 page story. It was kinda tricky. But given the weird parameters of the assignment, I was happy with the way it turned out. And, given the bizarre rules, I think Mark Buckingham did an excellent job! (Though part of me wishes that they would've let me write it as eleven 9 panel grids. The flow would've been SO much better!)

The twelfth page was a 1 page story-- it WAS a 9 panel grid-- and the only way you could get it was if you collected all 9 of the hard-to-find chase cards. That was a 9 panel gag about Baby Wolvie from the X-Babies-- and it was drawn by Mike Wieringo. One of the rare times we got to work together. It was a lovely page.

Hope that solves everything for you.

ttyl

Dan"

GPA:

Not seeing any data for the 9.8. It's listed as "Wolverine Special" 102.5

In 9.6, there was one sale in 2011 at $225; also there is a 9.6 SS by Boris Vallejo in 2011 at $412.

One universal sale in 2010 of a 9.4 at $195, ad one Qualified Wizard Authentic Edition/Signed by Boris Vallejo sold at $260.

At 9.0 there was one sale in 2011 at $124.