• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - ok. I'm shocked. What do I do?

115 posts in this topic

On a side note - does anyone else recall back in the 90s when the letter pages in CBM had a running debate as to whether split grades ( like VG/F, etc) were "legitimate' grades or not? This was at least 20 years after people had started using them.

I never used split grades until CGC came along, as I saw it as a way to fudge grades.

I remember when CGC first indicated that it would assign 9.0 to VF/NM books, a lot of collectors were upset as the 9 would seem to elevate such books into NM realm, whereas the letter grade seemed to put more emphasis on the VF part of the grade. So in a way, one could argue that the number grades fudge things even more. hm

I won't even ask what you thought of the "double plus" grades - VG++ apparently a dealer favorite back in the day.

I used to see grades like that and worse in CBG back in the 90s ("FVF / VF-" was a favorite).

So I woke up this morning to read this message from a buyer of a Detective #871 9.2 for $17.95:

Dear 400yrs,i paid wayyyyy too much for this because you put it as a 9.2 but when i recieved the item there was no cgc packaging. in other words you just bullted saying this was a 9.2 you cant eye a comic and give it your own personal grade. i will be reporting you for lying about what you sold. thanks for nothing buddy- karl122344

I politely responded to the guy, but I can't seem to get to my response in ebay.

What do I do? I'm hoping this is a joke.

Did you post a photo? It's worth a thousand words I hear both for buyer and seller.

If you get a neg, just politely respond that photo clearly showed no CGC. I defintely have bought from folks with negs but I always look at the neg and pay attention to response. If response shows jerkitude, I just move on. I also look to see if the negs are consistent or if one guy had a bad transaction and left 12 negs.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here but I don't know if I'd even offer a return as guy may likely give you a neg anyway based on his language and demeanor.

So I woke up this morning to read this message from a buyer of a Detective #871 9.2 for $17.95:

Dear 400yrs,i paid wayyyyy too much for this because you put it as a 9.2 but when i recieved the item there was no cgc packaging. in other words you just bullted saying this was a 9.2 you cant eye a comic and give it your own personal grade. i will be reporting you for lying about what you sold. thanks for nothing buddy- karl122344

I politely responded to the guy, but I can't seem to get to my response in ebay.

Did you post a photo? It's worth a thousand words I hear both for buyer and seller.

If you get a neg, just politely respond that photo clearly showed no CGC. I defintely have bought from folks with negs but I always look at the neg and pay attention to response. If response shows jerkitude, I just move on. I also look to see if the negs are consistent or if one guy had a bad transaction and left 12 negs.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here but I don't know if I'd even offer a return as guy may likely give you a neg anyway based on his language and demeanor.

+1

I frequently do a search for negs on eBay sellers before I buy here: http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=&Dirn=Received+by

A negative left by a :censored: or a neg that has a response like "i admit I screwed up and refunded him his money" doesn't stop me from buying.

There has been a lot of over thinking in this thread. Some sellers are scam artists and some buyers are :censored: on eBay. Period.

It has become the norm to grade books using the numerical system. Some people like the old system, some like the numbers. F em if they don't do a little freakin research before they buy, or actually LOOK at the pictures. :facepalm:

Start thinking about what you're going to say in response to the future neg you will receive. Like the above post says, be clear and state the facts to contradict what he says. But don't go the route getting personal. 2c

doh!

For the sake of $17.95 I'd offer a full refund and block him from bidding again. Do everything through ebay's messaging system so you have a record of being prepared to make 'amends' - even though you really don't have to.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't care about the $20+ I'll be out, but I just don't want to get a neg from this momo.

Sounds like you are getting a neg.

Actually, while avoiding the neg is best, I do not think negs where the buyer is clealy loopy hurt. They can actually help, as it can be argued that people pay attention to the negative feedback more than the positive. Now if it kills your Top Rated Seller status, that really sucks.

Just reply to his feedback with something like:

Listing states ungraded, buyer assumed CGC graded. Buyer blames me. :)

There really is no problem here.

1. Politely reply back saying this:

Hey,

Sorry you are unhappy with your purchase.

If you go back and read my auction it never gives the impression his was a CGC graded comic book as you can even tell by the scan is a "raw" book. The numerical grading system has been around for many years and many dealers use as such when they personally assign a grade. However since you are unhappy please return the book to me for a full refund.

thanks,

(Your name here)

2. Of course what I would say (would not recommend though): ;)

Hey,

I see from your babbling email you obviously are a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. How can you confuse this auction with a CGC graded book. In no way can this auction in any shape or form be misunderstood. Just from the clear scan alone you can see it is a raw or ungraded CGC book. People like you are killing the USA economy with your beyond terrible education level. Please return the book to me for a full refund because I think you might need the $18.00 because your welfare check may not completely cover how ungodly stupid you are,

thanks,

SOT

3. If you go with #1 they probably will not leave you a negative, and if they do you can call eBay and 100% get it removed

4. If you go with #2 they probably will leave you a negative, but you will feel better about yourself.

I kid I kid, but not really

BAZINGA !!! :shy:

Wait -- you posted a scan of the comic, right? And your listing didn't show a CGC label/case, nor did you write "CGC" anywhere in your listing, correct?

If the answers to the above questions are all "Yes!", then the buyer is a half-witted dillweed. I know that doesn't help you figure out what to do, but I just wanted to say that.

In other news, somebody on eBay just wrote me to say that one of the comics he bought from me was in a lower grade than he expected. The problem is, he bought it from me more than 2 months ago. He says that the comics were being held for him by a friend, and he only just saw them a few days ago. The listings have expired from eBay and in any case, I took great pains to list the comic as being very low grade, and I mentioned all flaws. Furthermore, he won the auction at 1/2 of guide price. I have no idea why somebody would write after 2 months to complain about something.

I just received a postive feedback indicating "Fast shipping, but should have scanned the back of the comic (dirty)" It was an original art sketch on a blank sketch cover CGC 9.4, not 9.8. Should I have posted a scan of the back? (dirty from artist handling while sketching) I figured CGC 9.4 indicated enough, plus buy the art, not the grade right?

This entire scenario is mitigated by the fact that the buyer left a positive feedback. Consider it a suggestion-box note left by a happy customer.

When I see a number grade assigned to a book I do make the assumption that it is a third party graded book.

Thoughts?

You've just made an out of u and me.

Wow, when I wrote that statement that someone would quote that statement; that took longer than I thought :facepalm:

I have no idea why somebody would write after 2 months to complain about something.

I just had someone complain about some coupons I sold back in November. They wrote me 3 days ago to claim that I sent them coupons that had expired back in February 2011 even though I had never dealt in those particular coupons. I pointed this out to them, and asked why they had taken 2 months to complain about coupons that were 6 months expired the day they got them, and have yet to hear anything else back. And all this over a $4 transaction.

There really is no problem here.

1. Politely reply back saying this:

Hey,

Sorry you are unhappy with your purchase.

If you go back and read my auction it never gives the impression his was a CGC graded comic book as you can even tell by the scan is a "raw" book. The numerical grading system has been around for many years and many dealers use as such when they personally assign a grade. However since you are unhappy please return the book to me for a full refund.

thanks,

(Your name here)

Hey,

I see from your babbling email you obviously are a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. How can you confuse this auction with a CGC graded book. In no way can this auction in any shape or form be misunderstood. Just from the clear scan alone you can see it is a raw or ungraded CGC book. People like you are killing the USA economy with your beyond terrible education level. Please return the book to me for a full refund because I think you might need the $18.00 because your welfare check may not completely cover how ungodly stupid you are,

thanks,

SOT

3. If you go with #1 they probably will not leave you a negative, and if they do you can call eBay and 100% get it removed

4. If you go with #2 they probably will leave you a negative, but you will feel better about yourself.

I kid I kid, but not really

Response #2 ^^

You could hold an eBay buyers hand from start to finish through an auction and they still will find a way to claim you lied these days. :(

I hate eBay and even though I had over $33K in sales on eBay last year I plan to cut it back drastically.

Maybe we should all get together and write a best seller on eBay auctions gone bad from the sellers point of view.

So OP did you have a picture of this comic showing that it was RAW?

Hey,

thanks,

SOT

(worship)

The voice of reason.

Nevermind found the completed auction. Your up close picture to me is obvious that the comic is raw, but if the person is fairly new I could see an insufficiently_thoughtful_person thinking you just took an up close picture of a book in the case.

I did notice that you don't say anywhere in the auction that the book is graded or raw. Would recommend stating that it is raw so there is zero questions about it when it comes to an insufficiently_thoughtful_person winning anymore auctions of yours. Your response then would be to go back and reread the auction, it clearly states raw.

Nevermind found the completed auction. Your up close picture to me is obvious that the comic is raw, but if the person is fairly new I could see an insufficiently_thoughtful_person thinking you just took an up close picture of a book in the case.

I did notice that you don't say anywhere in the auction that the book is graded or raw. Would recommend stating that it is raw so there is zero questions about it when it comes to an insufficiently_thoughtful_person winning anymore auctions of yours. Your response then would be to go back and reread the auction, it clearly states raw.

eBay actually has a specific box in the description area of the listing where you can check that it's graded and by whom. Not that all sellers actually use this, or that a novice buyer would know to look for it.

Here's your appropriate response;

Dear stupid,

Please accept my apologies for failing to realise that some people in this day and age still smoke and drink during pregnancy, thus leading to brainless rhymes-with-stunts like you who further pollute the online sewer that is eBay.

If you can figure out the process by which the US Postal Service works and can manage to mow enough lawns to cover postage, go ahead and send the comic book that you bought back to me. When it arrives, I will refund your money so you can go do something equally stupid with it.

Were I you, I would go to my mother and punch her in the face for birthing such a cretinous simpleton. I'm sure she would understand, unless your IQ is attributable to genetics and not outside factors. I would feel sorry for you, excepting that you're an incredibly ill-mannered, spoiled, moronic douchebagatron.

A lesser man than I would ask that you die in a fire, but I suspect either a drug overdose or drowning in a septic pit would be a more likely end for you. Either way, I hope you have a great day.

Yours etc