• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's the Glue, and why would someone apply it?

23 posts in this topic

I thought I would throw this one out to the boards.....one of my first three submissions last fall (on my free certificate), came back a PLOD (so don't feel bad, Steve). The label stated: "Restoration includes small amount of glue on spine of cover."

This always puzzled me, because for the life of me, not only can I not see any glue applied, but am wondering why someone would apply glue to the spine.......it's not like the spine has any visible tears....structurally the book is in perfect shape, at least to the naked eye. I probably will call for the graders notes, but I thought I would throw it out there before I did. Is it possible it was applied around a staple to forestall tearing?

asm62slab.jpg

Sorry have no idea...I would wager someone thought it would strenghten a possible weak staple.....but OOOOOOOOOh I LOVE that cover, prolly my fav ASM cover, I believe it went on sale the week I was born thumbsup2.gif

Kids...they do the darnedest things.... foreheadslap.gif

I remember Steve saying that one of the first detectors of glue being applied to the spine was "the feel"...apparently when the glue hardens it is quickly apparent to the touch...

Yeah, I love this book too.....one of my favorite Spidey covers. When I first sent it in I thought it might be a 9.2 or 9.4. The cover is pure white and the edges are razor sharp. Since Comicmankev has declined it (I wanted too much dough! - hey you guys HAVE to switch to the Euro at some point! 27_laughing.gif ), I may end up holding onto it. It's the only PLOD in my collection and is the only restored copy of ASM 62 in the registry. Wonder if a pro could safely detect the glue and remove it.....at a price I am sure.

My bet would be the bottom of the top staple.

Well, luckily I made a hi-rez scan of the raw book before I sent it in. I think you may be right. It would be nice if CGC added a bit more detail to the notes on a label when the PLOD a book. It would be very helpful.

AS62staple.jpg

My bet would be the bottom of the top staple.

Well, luckily I made a hi-rez scan of the raw book before I sent it in. I think you may be right. It would be nice if CGC added a bit more detail to the notes on a label when the PLOD a book. It would be very helpful.

AS62staple.jpg

Most likely the whole length of the top staple, the left side of it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Call 'em...I had the exact same thing "glue on cover" on a Golden Age book, so I called CGC, spoke to Mark, and the grader's notes identified where the glue was.

Since it's a PLOD anyway, why don't you crack it open and give it the once-over?

Sorry have no idea...I would wager someone thought it would strenghten a possible weak staple.....but OOOOOOOOOh I LOVE that cover, prolly my fav ASM cover, I believe it went on sale the week I was born thumbsup2.gif

I love that cover too! thumbsup2.gif

I guess all is revealed by the black light!

confused-smiley-013.gif

AS62botstaple.jpg

Given the nature of the cover, perhaps it is some other natural adhesive substance, and not glue... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Like Hair Gel?...

27_laughing.gif