• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Printers ink

9 posts in this topic

Hello Friends :hi:

My FF5 has a white dot behind Sue's leg. CGC stated that it was a stain. Looking at it carefully the dot looks like it had not met the page completly during the application of the printers ink. I have seen this dot on some covers of FF12'S (8.0'S) in the past, but I can't remember what boardies had those book. If it is a printers ink does CGC still classify this as a stain? Or does printers ink have it own designation in the graders notes. (shrug)

ff5.jpg

Without seeing it under the loupe, if there is a distinct change in dot pattern, my guess is that it's ghosting, or at the very least a problem with the ink/water balance on the press in that particular area. If that were the case - you'd have many, many examples of it along the print run.

Someone also could have dropped a dab of WD40 (or anything else that would pick up ink) on the cover and then they immediately soaked it up with a towel (to avoid damaging the book), which would also result in the lifting of the ink and changing the density of the dot. Something like that would leave and/or look like a stain.

That is my production 2c - not my comic grading 2c

Without seeing it under the loupe, if there is a distinct change in dot pattern, my guess is that it's ghosting, or at the very least a problem with the ink/water balance on the press in that particular area. If that were the case - you'd have many, many examples of it along the print run.

Someone also could have dropped a dab of WD40 (or anything else that would pick up ink) on the cover and then they immediately soaked it up with a towel (to avoid damaging the book), which would also result in the lifting of the ink and changing the density of the dot. Something like that would leave and/or look like a stain.

That is my production 2c - not my comic grading 2c

(thumbs u Thank you Sir.

I agree very much here with that analysis. i think in this case it was more likely the wd40 or other solvent. If it were part of a print run we would have seen more issues with that condition. This is a more isolated look. Also these spots when printed tend to be smaller and are often grouped in small groups.

Another example of a cover that suffers from ink issues in the print run is Silver surfer #6 That is a definite print run issue. You can compare to yours.

Nice book none the less.

How about a Hulk 181? I own one that has printer's ink for this issue that is suppose to be common?

Can printer's ink be restored by pressing?

Are you wondering if printer's ink issues can be removed by pressing? I will venture a guess of 'no' - but I'll let the experts on the board give you the definitive answer.

How about a Hulk 181? I own one that has printer's ink for this issue that is suppose to be common?

Are you wondering if printer's ink issues can be removed by pressing? I will venture a guess of 'no' - but I'll let the experts on the board give you the definitive answer.

No.

No.

And there you have it.

No.

And there you have it.

Thanks!