• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Comics

15 posts in this topic

For Collectors of Golden and Silver Age Comics

I was looking for some information on comic Pedigrees and came across a very interesting website, http://www.comicpedigrees.com/. Besides featuring information on dozens of pedigrees it also keeps a database of images of pedigree comics, mostly CGC graded. In many ways it acts as sort of a companion to CGC's own website. One nice thing was that I was able to find scans of five comics that I actually own. The scans were superior to my own images so I swapped them out and improved the presentation of my set without having to do my own scanning. Most of my pedigree comics are not in their database but once I get around to doing my own scanning I'll be sure to submit them. To collectors of golden and silver age comics, if you want to add images to your sets but don't feel like doing the scanning yourself this is an alternative.

14 of the 21 Captain Marvel Adventures I own are Crowley pedigree which pretty much got a *meh* and shoulder shrug (I never intentionally targeted Crowley pedigree comics). But I learned that William Crowley was the editor at Fawcett comics and kept two of most of the issues published by the company. All of a sudden the comics had a greater significance. I own the very comics handled by the editor of Fawcett which is very cool and makes me feel is if I'm now participating in comic history. My comics are famous enough that they are stored, for display, in a very professional looking website, available to the public at large. After reading through the website I discovered that the crown jewels of CMA are Mile High Comics which are often priced double and triple guide. Personally I'd rather pay guide and get a Crowley with an actual tie to Fawcett. Also, the Mile High comics seem to be mostly early issues and I was none below $1000 which is not in my current budget.

See more journals by David Swan

Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter who run the site you mentioned, have been writing a book on comic pedigrees for what seems like eons. It is always 'almost done' and has been since at least 2007 when I first heard about it. It has become a bit of a comedy routine on the boards.

any word on the Toledo pedigree? according to their website they were trying to get CGC to recognize it - yesterday they posted a book for sale with "Toledo" on the label. Could we have another pedigree??

*woob woob woob* *curley shuffle*

No date set, but we have a new incentive to get it done--the Edgar Church movie. Releasing the book at the same time as the movie (if it gets made) would be awesome. Steve and I are working on it right now.