• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was watching a show called Toy Hunters and...

29 posts in this topic

You're missing the point.

Instead of saying this fanboy cliche, why not just say what you think:

I am sooooo angry you don't agree with meeee!! :insane:

Again you didn't read what I said. I know that many won't agree with me because they've already made up their minds.

Trust me, I am no Star Wars fanboy. I profited for many years on the merchandise and I happen to know a lot more about the movies from a film-making perspective then the average fan but that doesn't make me a fanboy.

Another interesting edit after I've already captured a quote.

Stop following me around and quoting 2 nanoseconds after it posts. These forums are all flucked up, and when I try to hit standard short-cuts (like ctrl-b or ctrl-i) it auto-posts it. doh!

Another interesting edit after I've already captured a quote.

Stop following me around and quoting 2 nanoseconds after it posts. These forums are all flucked up, and when I try to hit standard short-cuts (like ctrl-b or ctrl-i) it auto-posts it. doh!

:foryou:

No matter what you thought of ROTJ, the Ewoks were a stroke of merchandising genius.

For better or worse, the Holiday Special was clearly the last time a Wookie clan or family would ever be seen on a set.

There were only so many variations of Princess Leia that LFL could market to young girls.

Toy licensing was (and to a large extent, still is) a big deal from a revenue standpoint, and the iron remained hot for Kenner line toys right up until the late 80's.

The Ewoks provided LFL a tremendous merchandising opportunity to overcome the barrier of selling toys to young boys, and crossed into a demographic opportunity that included an engaging character experience for both boys and girls.

Keep in mind that the year prior, E.T. captivated the hearts of young audiences, and while the first two Star Wars films were hugely successful, the battle scenes were combative, the characters weren't exactly needle-felted, warm or fuzzy, and with the exception of a Grampa role played by a 900+ year old Jedi Master, these were for the most part dynamic and complex characters which made it difficult for younger audiences to relate to and adore.

The Ewoks changed this, and the response to merchandise clearly showed that kids loved Ewoks. As a buyer of vintage toys, Ewok action figures seem to have been strong sellers and have a strong presence in collections which pop-up for sale. The 4 Ewoks part of the last 17 POTF line are some of the more desirable and harder to find amongst action figure collectors.

If ROTJ never gave us Ewoks then were would we be today in society if we never had the great spinoff movies of Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. Wiford Brimley and his diabetes for the WIN!!!!

I am not old enough to have had the chance to see these originally in the theatres, my first threatre experience was with them being rereleased as the Special Editions and I enjoyed all of them. I also made a lot of money selling Star Wars stuff to people around the world from 1996 to 2000 and from my perspective I agree that ROTJ has the best storyline of them all. I have no problem with the Ewoks being what they are either when it comes to the overall storyline. Sure compared to the overall battles in ESB this movie is a little weak, but the overall storyline is better.