• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 on Pawn Stars tonight

134 posts in this topic

I'm sure the show has some moments that are legit, but I just think so much of it looks fake. The fact that Rick knows so much about this stuff makes me believe that show is incredibly fake. What does the guy have a PHD or something? Because I have a Bachelors in history and don't know half of what he knows. The guy knows the history of random objects from hundreds of years ago.

Whether you have a PhD or not is irrelevant. It's called experience. o :makepoint:

Experience is great and all, but I'm sure it doesn't help with the random facts like knowing how hot it was at the 1st Constitutional Convention and how important it was to the outcome. What kind of pawn shop experience is that?

The fact is that the show is on the History Channel, and it helps him to "know" all these things.

I saw a triangular crease at the bottom right corner and of course the top staple has some minor wear and looks to be that there is a minute hole on the binding

I rewound the DVR a couple of times and I didn't see it. If it had a CBC then it may not crack 6.0.

Definitely had about a 1 1/2 inch color breaking crease at bottom right hand corner. about 1/2 in along bottom and up over an inch. And had a hole at the staple about the size of a bb. Wear at top of spine, inside cover was pretty tan. I think the guy did pretty well on the book.

Great colors. I would guess it is probably a 4500 - 6500 dollar book. Don't see any way it grades higher than a 6.5, and doubtful more than a 6.0.

Side note....they totally lowballed that guy with the 1860 Colt .44.

It shot perfect, had perfect action and bore, and came complete with presentation case and all original accessories.

It was worth a good double what their "appraiser" estimated.

I saw a triangular crease at the bottom right corner and of course the top staple has some minor wear and looks to be that there is a minute hole on the binding

I rewound the DVR a couple of times and I didn't see it. If it had a CBC then it may not crack 6.0.

Definitely had about a 1 1/2 inch color breaking crease at bottom right hand corner. about 1/2 in along bottom and up over an inch. And had a hole at the staple about the size of a bb. Wear at top of spine, inside cover was pretty tan. I think the guy did pretty well on the book.

Great colors. I would guess it is probably a 4500 - 6500 dollar book. Don't see any way it grades higher than a 6.5, and doubtful more than a 6.0.

My concern is how well can that toy store owner detect restoration. I'm willing to bet not very well if it's done right.

My concern is how well can that toy store owner detect restoration. I'm willing to bet not very well if it's done right.

Exactly, now if I wanted to know where the nearest buffet was Id call him for sure

I would bet the toy guy knows nothing about restoration. Rick could take a chance and send it to CGC for a real grading and certification. I doubt if any experienced collector is going to come in and lay out $6000 for a book that might have restoration.

Chumly better not get caught reading the Spidey book on his break eating Cheetos!

I have enjoyed this show, staged or not.

I'm watching the episode now. I laughed out loud when Corey said the book was rare. My butt it's rare!

Not really rare...just highly desired.

Be funny if they do a show recap and they find out it's restored!

Rare and highly desired are two different things. Which is my point.

And yes! I would laugh if the book was restored!

I'm watching the episode now. I laughed out loud when Corey said the book was rare. My butt it's rare!

I would love to see their reaction when they find out it's been restored and worth half of what they paid for :roflmao:

I would love to see their reaction when they find out it's been restored and worth half of what they paid for :roflmao:

Or they sold it to someone who had it submitted only to find out it was restored :o

Or they sold it to someone who had it submitted only to find out it was restored :o

:facepalm:

As to why someone would sell a book to a pawn shop......

About a year ago I had a meeting setup with Conrad from Desert Winds to drop off some books to be signed by Stan Lee and Joe Simon. As I had a couple of days from the time the books arrived until the meeting, I shopped them around in case I got an offer I couldn't refuse. Cosmic Comics offered me $500 in trade for two books- An Avengers #1 CGC 3.0 and a Avengers #4 CGC 4.0. Comics Oasis offered me $300 cash for the #4 and wasn't interested in the #1, and a store in Henderson offered me $500 cash and $200 trade for those two plus a few other SA books I had with me.

I seriously doubt any of those stores would have come close to $4,000 for that book. I'm not sure many dealers would either.

I'm sure the show has some moments that are legit, but I just think so much of it looks fake. The fact that Rick knows so much about this stuff makes me believe that show is incredibly fake. What does the guy have a PHD or something? Because I have a Bachelors in history and don't know half of what he knows. The guy knows the history of random objects from hundreds of years ago.

Whether you have a PhD or not is irrelevant. It's called experience. o :makepoint:

If you think he knows all that from experience, then :makepoint: .

The show is heavily scripted especially the parts where Rick does his whole spiel on the items that come into his shop. He doesn't strike me as incredibly bright and I often find myself laughing at the stupidity of the dialogue. He has too seem that he is informed about everything that comes into his shop for the sake of the show. No doubt he has a lot of knowledge, but I'm sure the -script has much influence on the tidbits he conveys to the audience.

Granted, It's all for entertainment. Everything from the stupid interplay to the sweet items that come into the shop (whether staged or not).

I still hate Rick's laugh though. :/

As to why someone would sell a book to a pawn shop......

About a year ago I had a meeting setup with Conrad from Desert Winds to drop off some books to be signed by Stan Lee and Joe Simon. As I had a couple of days from the time the books arrived until the meeting, I shopped them around in case I got an offer I couldn't refuse. Cosmic Comics offered me $500 in trade for two books- An Avengers #1 CGC 3.0 and a Avengers #4 CGC 4.0. Comics Oasis offered me $300 cash for the #4 and wasn't interested in the #1, and a store in Henderson offered me $500 cash and $200 trade for those two plus a few other SA books I had with me.

I seriously doubt any of those stores would have come close to $4,000 for that book. I'm not sure many dealers would either.

From my experience coin dealers come way closer to FMV than comic dealers.

Wasn't that Robojo on the show? (shrug)

Wasn't that Robojo on the show? (shrug)

lol

If it was him then the book would've been a NM+ :insane: