• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees, Pressing, and Population.

68 posts in this topic

So I have made my way back to posting. I stopped reading the boards, stopped watching auctions, and stopped reading comics. Now before I get started understand I am NOT quitting collecting comics, but I do have a VERY different view on the hobby.

In Nov. my family and I packed our little house and moved. We need a fighting chance, and luckily some nice folks are giving us enough time to amass a large downpayment for a home. So being somewhat depressed probably didnt help, but it is for the greater good. We have to spend time here and nobody is particularly thrilled. Also, I decided comics purchases had to stop for a bit. Minus one last pending deal.

So that brings up the past year. I really did not care for the past year in comics.. I saw pedigree after pedigree come to market, to the point I do not have any more interest in pedigrees. The HG market seems to have populated the census a bit, and SA/BA has lost all luster with me. I mean there is just so many times I can wade through a sh*t fest of HG marvels at every single auction. And it seemed like everything else was on a rollercoaster. So with that starting I sold 90% of my SA/BA books. The Tecs are all that really survived.

So knocking out essentially 75% of everything I collected left me pretty limited. I decided to start buying pre code horror to break up the stagnant feeling. And I still enjoy them, but havent been buying. Also I have been submitting here and there for my own collection, and realised I have no connection with books I just like covers. So that is a whole other thing to think about..

And then there is the final part. Pressing.. I press books, have for a bit and always disclose. But what finally irked me was selling books and having people ask me if a book had pressable defects. ing really??? And then add on top every new poster that comes here asks within 50 posts who presses, whats worth pressing etc.. Also the 10 threads a month about what books were upgraded, what books got extra juice from preview night.. It just became sad.. I mean, I collect covers. Thats what I like. Not complete runs, not specific artists, just covers. But damn, these people are just trying to make money. Do they care at ALL about comics or history?

So who knows, and who cares right. I just kind of disconnected at this point. I have my friends here, I still love to talk about the books. But really just have a very different view on the hobby.

Hey Joey, wheres my books.

Pat, ignore all the mess that irritates, irks, annoys, aggravates, bothers, angers, & offends you & do your own thing.

Ignore everybody & everything which stands in the way of your enjoyment of comics.

That's what I do.

I do my own thing as I always have. All the surrounding stuff is just background static or flashing lights & colors in my rear view mirror.

As I've posted before, nothing can ever come between a boy & his comics so long as I am that boy & those are my comics.

It's impossible for anything to come between me & my love affair with comics. Impossible.

Pat, ignore all the mess that irritates, irks, annoys, aggravates, bothers, angers, & offends you & do your own thing.

Ignore everybody & everything which stands in the way of your enjoyment of comics.

That's what I do.

I do my own thing as I always have. All the surrounding stuff is just background static or flashing lights & colors in my rear view mirror.

As I've posted before, nothing can ever come between a boy & his comics so long as I am that boy & those are my comics.

It's impossible for anything to come between me & my love affair with comics. Impossible.

:applause:

*you are ignoring this user*

Never you :sumo:

The cliff notes version of your wall of text is:

"Fuq 'em - do what you like"

Which I wholeheartedly agree.

That's close. This is better:

Do what you like -- Eff 'em if you have to.

I mean there is just so many times I can wade through a sh*t fest of HG marvels at every single auction. And it seemed like everything else was on a rollercoaster.

I hear you on this comment. Case in point : the current auction on Pedigreecomics comes to mind. With no disrespect to Pedigree, this is the most boring auction I have ever seen. Nothing but uber graded, SA Marvels.

Where's the DC, where's the GA, where's the esoteric, where's the fun stuff.

Marvel junkies with tunnel vision should not be allowed to run auctions.

Especially if you like eff'n 'em.

banana096.gif

I mean there is just so many times I can wade through a sh*t fest of HG marvels at every single auction. And it seemed like everything else was on a rollercoaster.

I hear you on this comment. Case in point : the current auction on Pedigreecomics comes to mind. With no disrespect to Pedigree, this is the most boring auction I have ever seen. Nothing but uber graded, SA Marvels.

Marvel junkies Disbarred shyster lawyers with tunnel vision should not be allowed to run auctions.

(thumbs u

I've always wondered if the SA Marvel fans ever get sick of all the HG stuff constantly for sale.
I'm a fan, but still don't consider most of it affordable - so, I'm not :sick: yet :thumbsup:

I've always wondered if the SA Marvel fans ever get sick of all the HG stuff constantly for sale.

I don't how they couldn't. Everytime I check out a new CLink auction, I always skip from page 2 to page 7 as I know it will be nothing but high grade Spider-Man books. I realize people love them, but it does get tiresome seeing the same books 6 times a year.

Especially if you like eff'n 'em.

banana096.gif

:facepalm:

I don't how they couldn't. Everytime I check out a new CLink auction, I always skip from page 2 to page 7 as I know it will be nothing but high grade Spider-Man books. I realize people love them, but it does get tiresome seeing the same books 6 times a year.

Exactly (thumbs u

Exactly (thumbs u

That's why I stick with the three Es:

ECs

Captain Marvel

Aquaman

I haven't seen so much crybaby butthurt in one thread in quite some time.

:whatev:

Was that really necessary Jim?

I don't have a dog in this fight and was making what I felt was a legitimate observation based on a previous poster's statement.

The lack of any perceived variety in all of these auctions is warranted in my opinion.

Marvel junkies with tunnel vision should not be allowed to run auctions.

Bomber is the voice of reason.

Welcome back Pat. I've felt much the same as you. I'm tired of the what

seems like an endless focus on high grade and profit rather than the love of

the comic medium. I'm also finding it less interesting to collect SA Marvel, it

is everywhere.

Looking at my purchases over the last year I'm rather surprised to see that the

vast majority are GA or 50s books. Seems that my focus has changed to mid

grade, esoteric, interesting gems and I've climbed off the expensive HG Marveltrain.

Pat, consider some of my recent purchases that didn't break the bank and

make me smile every time I whip them out.

th_battlecry1-VG-50.jpgth_gijoe35-35-25-1.jpgth_hedydevine25-60-40.jpgth_humantorch30-vg-270.jpgth_Jeepcomics1-60-150.jpgth_NewActive30-55-50.jpg

th_talesofhorror10-65-80.jpgth_wings101-85-115.jpg