• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees, Pressing, and Population.

68 posts in this topic

I just got back from my LCS with Walking Dead 92, Star Trek/Legion (very good!) Star Trek (new series) Game of Thrones 3 (decent read if you're a fan of the books) and a couple of the new DC's. Yep...still some good comics out there to read! :banana:

Pedigree's have defintely lost some luster with all the new one's coming out lately but I try and focus on the better looking copies. The Twin Cities for example might not have the ubber high grades that other peds do but they have some of the best gloss I've seen in a long time. That's my lesson for today, proceed.

Comics are cool indeed - and they can hit many positive notes with the collector:

great writing

great art

great cover

nostalgia

stupid, but funny

a collecting challenge

a financial challenge

And so on and on and on.

But in the end they are only ephemera and time and money can be much better spent on family, friends, holidays, wine, women and song.

I stopped buying moderns at the end of last year (had been buying 30+ titles a month) and am now slowly dissembling my collection for the second time (approx 50,000 or so books) so I can spend that money on the people I care about and doing the things I love the most.

I still have the memories and I can always read the digital copies (blasphemy I know) so I'll always be a comic collector/reader/lover at heart.

Last week, I thinned four boxes out of my collection, mostly late copper and 90's, (I did a similar exercise last year, so 8-10 boxes total). Looking at those books, I honestly couldn't believe that I'd bought them. I felt no connection to them at all, the covers were mostly horrible and the stories terrible.

Back in my twenties, with no responsibilities and too much cash, I would just buy stuff for the sake of it, It was a bit of an addiction. Even so, until recently, the thought of getting rid of any of it would have been unthinkable, so ingrained was the collector/hoarder mentality.

Having finally let them go, I feel a sense of relief, added to which my core collection is much more manageable and easy to enjoy. Sometimes you have to fight the OCD that is inside every collector.

Also, as has been said, as we get older our priorities change, and rightly so. My point really, is that if it's not making you happy, stop, or at least slow things down, give some thought to what you want, rather than feel you "need" to do, and remember what was fun about the hobby in the first place.

Ok, deep breaths, group hug and carry on. :preach:

Last week, I thinned four boxes out of my collection, mostly late copper and 90's, (I did a similar exercise last year, so 8-10 boxes total).

How did you accomplish this?

Did you just trash them? donate? Sell?

I need to do the same.

Last week, I thinned four boxes out of my collection, mostly late copper and 90's, (I did a similar exercise last year, so 8-10 boxes total).

I need to do the same.

I gave away about a third of my comics (7 or 8 boxes) to the neighborhood kids. Another third I moved to my parents' attic in far away Massachusetts, leaving just a few boxes of comics that I actually care about.

O, and one box of comics I don't care about, but use as support for my Rock Band drums.

I need to do the same.

I sold the first batch last summer over a few weekends at local car boot sales, (not sure what your equivalent would be in the US? ), and I'll do the same again this year. I made a few hundred pounds, which was more than I expected. They also sold quicker than I thought they would, with people asking for more when I ran out.

It was a good experience actually, lots of kids buying with enthusiasm as well as adults.