• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Growing Silver Age collections by buying collections

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

New to posting (but not reading) the forum. What experiences/ learnings can be shared for building a killer SA collection by buying collections/lots vs. buying individual issues? Is this common - keep the good stuff, sell the rest? Or, is cherrypicking graded titles the standard for building hi grade collections? Where to buy the best lots?

Do tell!

:gossip:

Buy everything. Lots, collections, individual issues. Buying collections will definately make your collection grow alot faster. You've just got to keep your eyes open all the time no matter where your at and be prepared to buy at the drop of a hat. Some of the best pieces in my collection came from unexpected, spur of the moment purchases.

Welcome to the boards.

I love buying collections and keeping the good stuff. That's how I got my Hulk 181, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Daredevil 1, Daredevil 7, Cry for Dawn 1-9 and tons of other smaller keys. All you have to do is put alittle effort into selling the bulk of it, and you get to keep the good stuff for pretty much nothing.

Just make sure you can get enough for the bulk that you want to sell before you buy the collection. You don't want it to backfire.

I love buying collections and keeping the good stuff. That's how I got my Hulk 181, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Daredevil 1, Daredevil 7, Cry for Dawn 1-9 and tons of other smaller keys. All you have to do is put alittle effort into selling the bulk of it, and you get to keep the good stuff for pretty much nothing.

Just make sure you can get enough for the bulk that you want to sell before you buy the collection. You don't want it to backfire.

Definately not. I bought a collection that was in a house fire that had a copy of j.I.m. 83 in it. It was about 50 books. Most of them were trashed. The jim83 was one of the better ones that made it out but still reaked of smoke. I tried everything to get the smoke smell out and nothing worked and all it did was make my house smell like a house fire. It was bad. Finally I just got rid of all of them for the same price I paid for them, luckily, about 3 months later. I'll never buy fire or smoke damaged books again. So when I said buy everything, I guess not literally everything.

Great feedback. Any tips for selling the "residual bulk?" Are the boards a good place to list lots, or are raw/slabbed single issues preferred here?

I personally think that you are good selling single issues here. I sell lots on eBay, since they move quickly there. The best way to get rid of books in lots (at least for me) is to see if you have any complete runs. That can turn junky 90s, quarter books into pretty decent cash (ie: Maximum Carnage complete can sell for $30-40, but only $1 or less as single issues). The only problem is that it is alot more work like that.

Not a problem bud. Someone(can't remember who) gave me some advice when i first got here and they said anything 50% and higher off of guide sell really well and fast here. Anything from 30%-49% off of guide sell pretty good also but not as fast, anything 0%-29% off of guide still sell but usually to someone that's looking for that particular book. So if its a non key that's pretty common, plan to sit on it awhile. By no means do you have to follow these guidelines, just passing on some advice I got. Good luck on your collecting endeavors.

I tried everything to get the smoke smell out and nothing worked and all it did was make my house smell like a house fire.
Dd you try kitty litter?

I tried everything to get the smoke smell out and nothing worked and all it did was make my house smell like a house fire.
Dd you try kitty litter?

CGC has a good method to seal up books. :whistle:

Yup, kitty litter, baking soda, rice. Pretty much everything thats ever been mentioned to get smoke smell out i tried.

Dd you try kitty litter?

CGC has a good method to seal up books. :whistle:

Yup, kitty litter, baking soda, rice. Pretty much everything thats ever been mentioned to get smoke smell out i tried.

Anyone ever tried an ozone generator for smoke damaged or musty smelling comic books? I've been wondering about this for awhile but I'm not sure if ozone would damage a comic in any way. They're not all that expensive to rent and supposedly work really well for removing most odors. My parents had a small house fire a few years ago with a lot of smoke damage and this was one of the methods the restoration company used to get the smoke smell out of their books and other items.

It's probably not worth it for most comics but something like JIM 83 in higher grade (other than the smoke smell) might be worth a try.

If you could buy a collection with a "theme", what would you want?

Basic stuff, like a Strange Tales run or all X-Men keys or Neal Adams covers?

Fan favorites like Hulk-Thing battles or Superman-Flash races?

Or story arcs like Death of Phoenix, Carnage or an alternate universe reset?

Anything else (besides grade) make a group more interesting than its individual books?

hello to all im new to the boards i have been collecting since im a kid starting around 1995 unfortunately those arent the best years to collect.My question is how do i go about buying collections, so far ive made a number of purchases though heritage ebay and at comic con where and how do you find those raw collections? Thanks for the advice in advance

hello to all im new to the boards i have been collecting since im a kid starting around 1995 unfortunately those arent the best years to collect.My question is how do i go about buying collections, so far ive made a number of purchases though heritage ebay and at comic con where and how do you find those raw collections? Thanks for the advice in advance

You seem to be the same as me. I started collecting when I was a kid around 1995, and it was definitely a bad time to start.

I find that putting the word out is the best way to find collections. Craigslist is a good start. You can put out an ad or respond to one. I usually find the best collections there. You can try smaller comic shows and find dealers who are looking to get rid of everything (I see this alot).

Finally, a less likely chance of a score would be at local flea markets. Sometimes, you might find some good lots there, or you could make offers for entire boxes, since some people there aren't comic dealers and would love to get rid of all their stuff in one shot. This past weekend, I picked up a complete Nick Fury: Agent of Shield (Steranko) collection for about $40 by doing this.