• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC gets a new logo

109 posts in this topic

The odd thing is that it isn't particularly corporate... and it lacks character. It'll work better as an animated logo however.

Is the new logo an attempt at Apple-branding type minimalism? You know, like understated & minimalistic corporate chic?

Is Apple-branding an effective way to disguise the hated Big Corporation with an overwhelming amount of bland?

Is this the new anti-branding marketing technique?

Down with corporate bombast & such?

I feel above all else that this new-wave type of branding is reactive whilst being intertextually subtle, recherche and insidious. It is redolent of utilitarian tropes which underpin the enormity of its corporate trappings.

Effectively the logo is asking the interested onlooker to dispense with old-school attitudes to logos - gone are the grand guignol signals of magisterialism and non-ironic power, in its place a cipher meant to elicit an individual reaction. It points to the future as well as the past, whilst grasping the nettle of multimedia anonymity.

Beneath the functionalist surface lurks a threadbare desire to calm and mollify. It asks little of the observer yet surreptitiously hints at the marauding juggernaut just out of view - a parralax effect, if you will. Less is more, packaging is redundant, materialism a malefactor to be consigned to the penalty box of outmoded ideology. In essence, wallpaper.

In other words, it's pants. ;)

The odd thing is that it isn't particularly corporate... and it lacks character. It'll work better as an animated logo however.

Is the new logo an attempt at Apple-branding type minimalism? You know, like understated & minimalistic corporate chic?

Is Apple-branding an effective way to disguise the hated Big Corporation with an overwhelming amount of bland?

I feel above all else that this new-wave type of branding is reactive whilst being intertextually subtle, recherche and insidious. It is redolent of utilitarian tropes which underpin the enormity of its corporate trappings.

Effectively the logo is asking the interested onlooker to dispense with old-school attitudes to logos - gone are the grand guignol signals of magisterialism and non-ironic power, in its place a cipher meant to elicit an individual reaction. It points to the future as well as the past, whilst grasping the nettle of multimedia anonymity.

Beneath the functionalist surface lurks a threadbare desire to calm and mollify. It asks little of the observer yet surreptitiously hints at the marauding juggernaut just out of view - a parralax effect, if you will. Less is more, packaging is redundant, materialism a malefactor to be consigned to the penalty box of outmoded ideology. In essence, wallpaper.

I do some work in advertising – outdoor advertising. Ad agencies and customers provide lots of marketing material samples such as print ads to us during the art production process for their outdoor ads. I see, with a critical eye, a lot of logos & marketing campaigns.

The trend is to hide the logo, to make the logo as small & hard to find in the ad as possible. I find myself searching for logos on the big billboards around town & on business cards.

The trend is to hide the logo, to make the logo as small & hard to find in the ad as possible. I find myself searching for logos on the big billboards around town & on business cards.

Let's see if I'm undestanding this. Companies advertise because they want us to know about their products and they're making if difficult to see their logos on their own advertising?

Let's see if I'm undestanding this. Companies advertise because they want us to know about their products and they're making if difficult to see their logos on their own advertising?

Correct.

Correct.

And the reason for that would be?

Correct.

At least Marvel isn`t shy! :cloud9:

Marvel-logo.jpg

Correct.

And the reason for that would be?

goldie & I have been trying to figure that out.

In part it is a fashionable trend in commercial art -- the product is front & center -- in your face; the brand is vanishingly small.

Andy; Just what I was thinking... :o

Here is one I am working on right now. Working on trying to get changed.

The20Boxa1.jpg

The logo or the layout?

Regarding the DC logo - I'll keep it short: at first glance, it's offputting, much less dynamic and I've got a problem with the proportions - but it's a little more appropriate for the new direction they will ultimately be going with their product. I think people will warm to it eventually.