• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential buyer asked me to put a lower value on customs form...would you do it?

Would you falsify the value on a claims form if asked by a buyer?  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Would you falsify the value on a claims form if asked by a buyer?

76 posts in this topic

So a potential buyer on a Hulk 162 CGC 9.4 book (about $120 current GPA) asked me that if he won the book, would I put a lower value on the customs form (he lives in Canada). I've been asked this from time to time and have actually done it a few times, even putting "gift" on the form but I really don't like doing it and wonder how big of a deal it is.

What would you do?

nothing against canadians, but the only times i've had really bad ebay problems were with canadian buyers....maybe just bad luck. I had a string once of 5 straight auctions won by canadians and all 5 were NPB (not the same guy).

One guy sent me a canadian money order after i insisted that i had no way to cash it, no bank near me would honor it. He poo poo'd my concerns and sent it anyway. Needless to say 10 years later it's still in my top dresser drawer uncashed.

I wouldn't suggest it and for $120 he likely won't even be charged. I do mark gift often because in my case I paid duty when I bought them. I paid brokerage when I CGC'd them and if I kept every tracking number I could theoretically mark them as US goods returned.

funny I've only had this happen with with yanks.

Not sure what you mean...the US doesn't charge any duty taxes or anything like that on international parcels. (shrug)

Really? Well then I may just change the timeline on buying the Florida house.

I would assume it would nulify insurance claims for the appropriate amount. That is what would concern me.

When shipping from Canada insurance value must be less or equal to the declared value. Every parcel is also insured for $100 included in the price. ;)

funny I've only had this happen with with yanks.

Not sure what you mean...the US doesn't charge any duty taxes or anything like that on international parcels. (shrug)

they want breaks and just like everybody else (shrug) I voted don't sell to canadians (thumbs u

nothing against canadians, but the only times i've had really bad ebay problems were with canadian buyers....maybe just bad luck. I had a string once of 5 straight auctions won by canadians and all 5 were NPB (not the same guy).

One guy sent me a canadian money order after i insisted that i had no way to cash it, no bank near me would honor it. He poo poo'd my concerns and sent it anyway. Needless to say 10 years later it's still in my top dresser drawer uncashed.

I wish it was only 5 NPB Americans. hm

I have received way too many green PO money orders that clearly state on the front that it can onl be cashed in the US. doh!