• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Raw books

17 posts in this topic

Over the next year I will be trying desperately to catch up on some series. There are a lot of books that I want slabbed that I might not find. Which means I will have to turn to buying Raw copies and then submitting them. What are some good sites or boardies that specialize in Raw 9.8 candidates?

Over the next year I will be trying desperately to catch up on some series. There are a lot of books that I want slabbed that I might not find. Which means I will have to turn to buying Raw copies and then submitting them. What are some good sites or boardies that specialize in Raw 9.8 candidates?

What series and age of comics are you looking for?

+1

It's a serious question. I'm looking for Modern stuff(Flash, Supergirl and Zatanna). I already have posted in the WTB section and will do so again. The drawback I'm running into is people having just one book, after you add shipping it throws the price through the roof for the book. It would help cost wise if I was able to obtain multiple books at a time.

www.milehighcomics.com

I think you have to understand that there arent many sellers that specialize across the board in selling slabbed moderns. Beachbum is the probably the most prolific modern seller of slabs I know. JJ specializes in your more difficult modern finds and variants, but its very hard to find one seller who will have all you need. Thats why CGC allows all to slabbed books. If there is no profit or demand for a certain books most sellers wont even bother to slabbed it leaving you chasing personal collections.

It's a serious question. I'm looking for Modern stuff(Flash, Supergirl and Zatanna). I already have posted in the WTB section and will do so again. The drawback I'm running into is people having just one book, after you add shipping it throws the price through the roof for the book. It would help cost wise if I was able to obtain multiple books at a time.

Looking for raw 9.8 candidates is largely folly, especially if you are worried about paying too much. Who is going to go out to of their way to grade a book that closely and sell it for a couple dollars, and then just wait for the call back from you saying the book did not pass a 9.8 pre-screen? You have to expect to overpay for that sort of thing.

You will probably do best buying books already slabbed. Paying $25 for a 9.8 is worth the cost to avoid the scattershot approach....

If you must go raw, the scattershot approach is your best bet. Buy 5 "NM" copies from MileHigh, 5 "NM" copies from LoneStar, and pray for divine intervention.

Lastly, you could go to a local show and long box dive, grading those "raw 9.8s" yourself.

Who is going to go out to of their way to grade a book that closely and sell it for a couple dollars, and then just wait for the call back from you saying the book did not pass a 9.8 pre-screen?

This.

We have a policy that when a modern book hits the guaranteed 9.4 mark, we call it NM and that's that. I know we have many, many 9.8 copper/modern candidates in stock described as NM. However, they'd be selling at $2.50 whether I thought they were a 9.4 or a 9.8, so why spend the time on thousands and thousands of books for a dollar or so profit?

I'd prefer customers to be surprised when they receive their 'NMs' and find books better than that.

I know we have many, many 9.8 copper/modern candidates in stock described as NM. However, they'd be selling at $2.50 whether I thought they were a 9.4 or a 9.8, so why spend the time on thousands and thousands of books for a dollar or so profit?

We need to all help you with this horrible inventory problem. :ohnoez:

I know we have many, many 9.8 copper/modern candidates in stock described as NM. However, they'd be selling at $2.50 whether I thought they were a 9.4 or a 9.8, so why spend the time on thousands and thousands of books for a dollar or so profit?

We need to all help you with this horrible inventory problem. :ohnoez:

lol

You're welcome to. (thumbs u

Post a wanted to buy original owner copies.

You can find some of the original owner collectors on the boards that bought books from the stands and offer to buy there whole run of the series you're looking for. I just went through a run of about 80 books and approximately 50 are 9.8 or better unread and slab ready. The remainder were 9.6 or lower with minor pressable defects to higher grade. If the books aren't key, they aren't worth slabbing unless you're specifically trying to complete a run so folks like myself sell the runs intact. Make a decent offer knowing some will hit the mark, some may be lower and you will likely be happy. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I have been in contact with BeachBum for some books going forward. It looks like the general opinion is to simply keep hunting for those older books. Not a bad thing but not as quick as I was hoping to make it. I will work on my massive WTB thread and hopefully have it up sometime tonight.