• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Computer Wire Clutter....any ideas???

38 posts in this topic

Why would one person need 4 monitors for 2 systems?

You don't spend much time on computers do you? I would sooner take a job at Burger King then not have two monitors at work. One 21 inch is enough at home, but anything less then two 19's at work just wouldn't cut it.

I'm responsible for 19 NT/2000/2003 Servers including 5 SQL, 2 Exchange, 4 IIS, etc. plus about 85 laptops/desktops. Also responsible for our VOIP phone system. I have 3 screens at work, but I could do it all with a single large screen. If you set up the mmc console properly, you can manage everything including DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, Terminal Services, ArcServe, IIS, SQL, etc. all from one console page and and a cascading IP over KVM switch. Of course I'm an IT Manager for a technology company, so we have all kind of oddball things on our network, like Netbotz, Fireball mp3 servers, etc.

I guess I was teasing him about having a spare screen for ICQ and an email client...

eh, do it all

- wireless

- KVM box for the wireless kb & mouse

- sleeving/heatshrink

- clamps http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=113+0830

^ those are just the small ones, you you want larger ones i'll send you the product numbers

- tie wraps http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=113+0300

- organizer tracks http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=113+0800

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=161+0565

I agree--go WIRELESS.

Just make sure you set up security or the entire neighborhood will BORROW your bandwidth devil.gif

He's in Alaska. I'm betting his nearest neighbors are probably out of wireless range. 27_laughing.gif

Trust me, you can never be too sure...I'd hate to see someone hack into his X-Men comic database confused-smiley-013.gif

Check the latest issue of Computer Shopper. A reader is using the sleeves from toilet paper to stuff cables into. The editor suggested using paper towel tubes or even wrapping paper tubes and painting them. While it wouldn't conceal the wires, it does make for a neater appearance and the tubes could be painted to match the walls or even painted for decoration.

As far as all the wireless stuff goes, our house is already networked, we had that built in....BUT we do have a wireless setup for the laptops in the house and our entertainment PC on the HDTV (so you can surf the net from the livingroom).

I have everything here (I have everything any computer person could want right here in the house) that you guys are talking about.

wireless.jpg

KVMs blow monkey nuts. I've had three...still have them, switching between 3 computers on one monitor unacceptable. When you need to see two different items on separate computers clicking back and forth blows.

With surround monitors I can access all the data I need SIMULTANEOUSLY if I need to. If a $50 KVM suits your needs and you don't mind clicking between 3 different computers...

I can afford the six 19" LCDs so I make the most out of them. Besides that only accounts for 12 wires total out of 60.

I use the Logitech MX700 mice on the computers around here because they recharge themselves when you set them in the cradle. Wireless keyboards blow nuts though. So that is two wires I save on.

KVMs blow monkey nuts. I've had three...still have them, switching between 3 computers on one monitor unacceptable. When you need to see two different items on separate computers clicking back and forth blows.

With surround monitors I can access all the data I need SIMULTANEOUSLY if I need to. If a $50 KVM suits your needs and you don't mind clicking between 3 different computers...

27_laughing.gif That's the problem, you're using $50 KVM switches! All FIVE of my Pc's are 25 feet away from me, and I have a firewire hub for my scanner and external Plextor 8X DVD burner up here. It's so nice to have total silence in this room; music sounds much better when it's not noisy from all the PC cpu, power supply and case fans blowing. Shut your pc's off and then listen; that's how my room is all the time. I could extend those PC's up to 500 feet away if I didn't care about audio or the firewire by using the CAT5 over UTP remote console part of the KVM. I don't have to move my eyes back and forth 20 times a minute to stare at 4 different screens either. I have a 21" Viewsonic screen (CRT), and having worked extensively with LCDs, flat panel displays, plasma screens, etc. there's nothing as sharp for small text as a CRT monitor, and I'm not stuck limited to a specific "optimal" resolution with an LCD monitor. I had wireless on my pc's in late 2000, and was surfing the web from my couch then, which you're right, is really cool. People don't understand how cheap this stuff is, and when I fire up Winamp with all the cool visualization effects on my home theater, they don't realize I have about 300 bucks in that pc, including the wireless mouse and keyboard!

Look man, to each his own. I have a dedicated Dell 1600SC with 5 73 gig drives that store all my images for my website and a nice 40/80 DLT drive for weekly backups (should be daily, but I'm too lazy to go down and change tapes). One PC is dedicated for gaming, one old slow one for storage, and one for general scanning/cd burning/email checking/etc. As a side note, I run Windows 2003 server on most of my machines - with the built in terminal services I have direct access to all machines and can just alt-tab to switch between them.

To each his own... cool.gif

Why would one person need 4 monitors for 2 systems?

You don't spend much time on computers do you? I would sooner take a job at Burger King then not have two monitors at work. One 21 inch is enough at home, but anything less then two 19's at work just wouldn't cut it.

I'm responsible for 19 NT/2000/2003 Servers including 5 SQL, 2 Exchange, 4 IIS, etc. plus about 85 laptops/desktops. Also responsible for our VOIP phone system. I have 3 screens at work, but I could do it all with a single large screen. If you set up the mmc console properly, you can manage everything including DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, Terminal Services, ArcServe, IIS, SQL, etc. all from one console page and and a cascading IP over KVM switch. Of course I'm an IT Manager for a technology company, so we have all kind of oddball things on our network, like Netbotz, Fireball mp3 servers, etc.

I guess I was teasing him about having a spare screen for ICQ and an email client...

I think the really important point here is that with multiple monitors one can view multiple images of their favorite adult entertainer while keeping both hands free for "other uses". wink.gif

I am thinking of something that is like a telephone cord made out of thin plastic...then you coudl wrap you wires together with that and then run it along the table...then when you got to where they needed to go they could branch out...What type of cords are they? Are they power cords? With the power cords you could use a panel/surge protector kinda thing...you plug everything into it and then you only have 1 cord going to the wall...then the panel has switches on it for everything...I like mine...it does do away with some of the clutter...those are my ideas...

Like This

I had an older model of that same surge protector.

My house was hit with lightning and fried my computer and monitor.

They refused to keep their end of the "$250,000 Connected Equipment Warranty" and wouldn't pay me a cent.

I ended up filing the claim through my home owner's insurance, so they took it and the warranty info to try to get their money back from Belkin.

I have no idea how that ended up.

The way that I understand it is that NO surge protector will protect your computer from a lightning strike. Since the current is so high with lightning that it just jumps what ever break in the circuit that the surge protector tries to provide..I was thinking that this would be a good way to clean thigns up, not to provide protection...

I think the really important point here is that with multiple monitors one can view multiple images of their favorite adult entertainer while keeping both hands free for "other uses". wink.gif

BINGO...we have a winner!!!

...and you should see that stuff output to a large RPTV! You're right, isn't that one of 3 reasons why we all bought computers anyway? Music, games, and *ahem* adult entertainment... insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

If my girlfriend only knew how to navigate my shared folders!