• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Grading Question

30 posts in this topic

I'm surprised that foks think that would only be a 1 point drop or so.

If I were sitting at home grading some junk and I had an 8.0 with a dime-sized chunk out of one of the pages, I would probably go 5.5 or so. To me, it's not relevant if it affects the story or not.

Again, not speaking for CGC or anytone else. Just me.

Who you callin a fok? Fok you.

No, I believe that book was bought from Bob Storms as a 7.Something and pressed up by Matt Nelson and sold.

I was the second owner after Harry of the Avengers 4. It was a 7.5, and I always thought it was undergraded. Looked like a solid 8.0 to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just to keep everyone who's interested in the loop. Got a PM from an old boardie aquaintance and he opined that a 1 maybe a 2 grade reduction would probably be appropriate.

So far that opinion seems to be the concensus although I'd really like more thoughts... :sumo:

Just to keep everyone who's interested in the loop. Got a PM from an old boardie aquaintance and he opined that a 1 maybe a 2 grade reduction would probably be appropriate.

So far that opinion seems to be the concensus although I'd really like more thoughts... :sumo:

I would agree with his estimation.

Was it you that had the O-O FF 2 that had the medium chunk out of the cover?

Yup, an otherwise 8.0-8.5 reduced to a 6.5...

One of the handful of original purchases not made at SID's Luncheonette. Bought it about 3 blocks east towards East Orange at a small Candy Store aross the street from Orange Park.

He used to "hang" the books on a taut wire stretched across the back wall behind the Candy Counter. They were securely attached to the wire by a saw-toothed clamp. :o He didn't bother to open the clamp, just pulled the books down. I think I've spotted 2 or 3 other examples in my meanderings through the collection.

I'm guessing that SID's had gotten the delivery the same day, but hadn't gotten around to cutting the wires and spreading the books across the shelves, so being 13 and impatient I headed down the Avenue... :(

I'm guessing the grade deduction from CGC was between 1.5 to 2.0 for that dime-sized chunk on the ULC.

Good memory, ACES...

I'm thinking Sid's Luncheonette deserves a book. Even the not-quite-Sid's story like this needs to be recorded for posterity.

I can remember very different days, buying Thor #337 at a Jr. Food Mart, but somehow it's not as colorful in the telling. :)

OK, the average concensus for the grade reduction was One and a half grades or .75 - here's the book in question.

given the flaw noted, do you think this has much of a chance going up to a 7.0 upon resubmission??

JIM89009.jpg

If I were sitting at home grading some junk and I had an 8.0 with a dime-sized chunk out of one of the pages, I would probably go 5.5 or so. To me, it's not relevant if it affects the story or not.

You may well be right...I'm gonna wait for a while more to try and garner a few more opinions.

Your drop of 5 grades for a chunk out of an non-story interior page margin, will probably set the bar for the severest reduction, but who knows...Personally, I would have thought that the locatio of the missing piece would have a great affect on the severity of the deduction.

And you don't really consider VF books to be "Junk" do you?? :kidaround:

Harry meet John; John meet Harry :insane::foryou:

You may well be right...I'm gonna wait for a while more to try and garner a few more opinions.

Your drop of 5 grades for a chunk out of an non-story interior page margin, will probably set the bar for the severest reduction, but who knows...Personally, I would have thought that the locatio of the missing piece would have a great affect on the severity of the deduction.

And you don't really consider VF books to be "Junk" do you?? :kidaround:

Harry meet John; John meet Harry :insane::foryou:

Leave us noobs alone! Go back to your 8.0 junk!! :baiting: