• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman casting

193 posts in this topic

Saw the trailer for Haywire, she's ideal for the role. She even has the face (one scene her face looks like HG Peter's renditions of WW)

and she certainly has the fighting moves - but can she act hm

I wasn't able to determine from the trailer. But at face value (no pun) she looks good to go (thumbs u

gina.jpg

Casting an actress for an action role is tougher then it seems.

I will judge her after I watch her in Haywire.

I walked out of Haywire. Her acting was decent but the show in general or writing just wasn't there in my opinion.

I can't imagine walking out a movie unless I was offended by the subject matter. Even when something's "bad" there's a lot to enjoy in its crapptasticity. lol

We walked out of Punisher: War Zone. That movie had no redeeming qualities and I was not about to spend two hours listening to an English actor faking a Brooklyn accent.

I walked out of Haywire. Her acting was decent but the show in general or writing just wasn't there in my opinion.

I can't imagine walking out a movie unless I was offended by the subject matter. Even when something's "bad" there's a lot to enjoy in its crapptasticity. lol

We walked out of Punisher: War Zone. That movie had no redeeming qualities and I was not about to spend two hours listening to an English actor faking a Brooklyn accent.

Shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Any WW movie will need to have a very good -script for it to be anything more than a cheesy popcorn flick to watch the star in hardly any clothing.

FTFY

FFSFO.

FFSFO?

Ohno.jpg

I wrote something last night, but deleted it because I wanted to put more thought into what I was saying. In no way do I really know the character all that well, other than the 70's TV show. I just can reflect on what didn't play well with that series. I stand by Gina should have writers brought in with this project to cater to whatever acting limitations she might bring to the show. She should not just take the money and "trust" the film makers. This movie should play like the Charlie's Angel's movie, an ode to girl-power with a little camp mixed in. It doesn't have to play with a straight face throughout like the Batman movies. I would make Steve Trevor a wimpy(like the Mac guy) ARMY type-screw up(not a brash punk-Star Trek reboot), so his character can have an arc as this Amazon Princess finds something others can't see to fall in love with him. Audiences love an underdog. Diana needs a bully too. One she doesn't have to beat by the final reel, but something to keep her more grounded throughout the movie, so women can connect better. I'm sure your wives/girlfriends don't want to watch some goddess jiggling around for 119 minutes without a care in the world. Sure, I can watch these movies all day long, but they never make money. lol She also needs girlfriends to "hang" with too. Not necessarily super-powered, but ones that vaguely have an idea of who she is. Female villians, in superheroine movies(Catwoman, Supergirl, etc) are the kiss of death at the box-office(unless you are Basic Instinct, Aliens or Star Trek: First Contact), give someone with estrogen the henchmen role, it sexier and works better(Goldeneye, Total Recall, Charlie's Angels).

After I watched the trailer, I said to my wife, "I feel like I've already seen that movie like 5 times."

What an unoriginal idea.

hm Can you name an action movie produced in the last 20 years that was an original idea?

I can only think of a couple. The rest are rehashes, carbon copies, copy cats, and pale clones.

Yeah, but only a couple like you said.

One of the reasons I don't see action movies in theaters.

Hey I use to watch Britney Spears videos with my TV on mute. I am sure I can sit through a movie with the lovely Gina CArano no matter how bad the movie. I managed to stomach Catwoman so I could watch Berry in that tight leather suit.

^^

The Game of Thrones character Brienne was a tough cast--a large woman who is masculine and is tougher than most men, but they did a fantastic job with that casting in picking the 6' 3" Gwendoline Christie who is arguably a bit too good-looking for the role. I suppose Wonder Woman may be a bit tougher to cast because she has to be tough, vulnerable, and much more personable to carry an entire film, whereas the Brienne character has a comparatively minor role. Getting the right strong-yet-likable personality along with a tall, killer body (since Lynda Carter set the standard) is definitely tough, but should be doable--pretty sure there are tens of thousands of women--or hundreds of thousands if they go down to 5' 8" or so--with the right physical build in the US alone, but finding an actress with the right attitude is the trick.

original.jpgDW_tiffanys_3240.jpg

What about Cobie Smulders? hm

I'm familiar with her from "How I Met Your Mother"...she's minimally tall enough at 5' 8", thought not ideal, and a bit average up top, but does she have enough strength/attitude? Not sure, I didn't really notice it on that show, but it is a comedy I suppose. (shrug) Lots of suggestions already in the thread seem better--Gina Carano, Lucy Lawless, Erica Durance, etc, but getting a strong woman who is around 6' would be ideal.

What about Cobie Smulders? hm

I'm familiar with her from "How I Met Your Mother"...she's minimally tall enough at 5' 8", thought not ideal, and a bit average up top, but does she have enough strength/attitude? Not sure, I didn't really notice it on that show, but it is a comedy I suppose. (shrug) Lots of suggestions already in the thread seem better--Gina Carano, Lucy Lawless, Erica Durance, etc, but getting a strong woman who is around 6' would be ideal.

She's playing Maria Hill in The Avengers.

I'll pay attention to her when the movie comes out then. I wouldn't really think of any woman far under 6' as an "Amazon" though--a woman really needs to be a bit taller than the average man at 5' 9" for you to think of a woman that way, so it seems fairly important for probably the most famous Amazonian in American culture to fit that bill. She's always around 6' or so in the comics and is around the same height as the 6' 2"-ish Superman and Batman.

I'll pay attention to her when the movie comes out then. I wouldn't really think of any woman far under 6' as an "Amazon" though--a woman really needs to be a bit taller than the average man at 5' 9" for you to think of a woman that way, so it seems fairly important for probably the most famous Amazonian in American culture to fit that bill. She's always around 6' or so in the comics and is around the same height as the 6' 2"-ish Superman and Batman.

Then get a 6' supermodel lol