• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most saddening or shocking comic story you've ever read?

39 posts in this topic

Mine was the Amazing Spider-man 121 and 122 Arch!

For both saddening and shocking,

it is hard for a man to admit this but I got a little choked up on # 121!

and both of them together was like a

Mike Tyson Punch in the gut / Ear biting combo!! 893whatthe.gif

So what is the most saddening or shocking comic story?

shocking? it's got to be preacher issue #1.....i was like, oh boy. blush.gif sad story? i concur, the dark phoenix saga.....i was in love with jean grey just like every other fanboy. blush.gif but back then i had a thing for readheads. thumbsup2.gif

Mine was the Amazing Spider-man 121 and 122 Arch!

For both saddening and shocking,

it is hard for a man to admit this but I got a little choked up on # 121!

and both of them together was like a

Mike Tyson Punch in the gut / Ear biting combo!! 893whatthe.gif

So what is the most saddening or shocking comic story?

Same here. I remember just staring at the last page for several minutes in total shock and disbelief. Took me totally by surprize and made me very angry also.

I really didn't feel any better after 122 either.

I think if I would have bought it off the newstand, ASM 121-122 would have been tops for me, but I've gotta go with X-Men 137.

I *really* couldn't believe they killed her.

Hmm isnt that interesting they are both DC.

1. The Judas Contract in Tales of the New Teen Titans.

2. Batman "The Dark Knight Returns"

Both of those just blew my socks off.

The wordless two page spread after Bullseye kills Elektra in Daredevil #181.

And then the end of #182, where unable to accept her death, he digs up her coffin and touches her dead face.

Mr. Miller earned his pay on those two issues.

The wordless two page spread after Bullseye kills Elektra in Daredevil #181.

And then the end of #182, where unable to accept her death, he digs up her coffin and touches her dead face.

Mr. Miller earned his pay on those two issues.

he definitely is "the grandmaster" of story telling! acclaim.gif

I really can't say I was shocked by either ASM #121/122 or X-Men #137 because I already knew the outcome when I finally read them.

I was shocked though when Marvel brought the Green Goblin back. It was something I didn't think was possible but I guess it's all about the money or a lame attempt to get people to forget the Clone Saga. insane.gif But that not really what you're asking....

Shocked: Batman #428 - Death of Jason Todd (Robin). I didn't think DC had the balls......

Saddest: That a little easier. Marvels #2. Maggie the mutant in the basement. This was the only comic I've ever read where I came closest to shedding a tear. The comic that any X-fan should read to understand exactly what the X-Men are fighting for or against. Truly great comic in a wonderful mini-series.

Jim

At the time the hands down winner is MGN #5 God Loves, Man Kills. That was the first comic I read that I think played a part in me trying to be a better person.

hey wait by jason was really sad, but is kinda obscure

more mainstream

sad for me was the mutant massacre, x-men #210-213 i stopped reading x-books after kitty, colossus & nightcrawler got so messed up.

new mutants #45 was really sad to me as well with the mutant kid was was killed, the one who made pictures out of light.

The kindly ones to me is very sad now if you read all the sandman graphic novels in a row, its MUCH more effective that way.

Shocking for me was preacher #3, my 1st issue, i was blown away

The Ed the happy clown collection from yummy fur was a milestone in shock for me

The saddest tale Ive read is another ASM...issue # 248. Spidey visits the kid with leukemia. I had no idea that was going to be the ending to the issue and my heart sank when I read it. It was just a fictional kid in a comic, but still...it was a grabber!

I think if I would have bought it off the newstand, ASM 121-122 would have been tops for me, but I've gotta go with X-Men 137.

They didn't Joe...she came BACK!!! 893frustrated.gif [!@#%^&^] Marvel!!!!

For me, the Killing Joke where Joker shoots Barbara Gordon...

Also as a kid, I was extremely shocked to pick up an issue of Incredible Hulk around 270 something and discover that Banner was now in control inside the Hulk's body...totally ruined it for...I always liked Hulk smash...

frown.gif

Truly shocking though, was when when I went to the neighborhood drug store to pick up the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man and there was some black costumed imitation on the front cover...and there was no explanation inside as to why...other than read Secret Wars One!

They didn't Joe...she came BACK!!! 893frustrated.gif [!@#%^&^] Marvel!!!!

For me, the Killing Joke where Joker shoots Barbara Gordon...

Also as a kid, I was extremely shocked to pick up an issue of Incredible Hulk around 270 something and discover that Banner was now in control inside the Hulk's body...totally ruined it for...I always liked Hulk smash...

frown.gif

Truly shocking though, was when when I went to the neighborhood drug store to pick up the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man and there was some black costumed imitation on the front cover...and there was no explanation inside as to why...other than read Secret Wars One!

Didn't that idea of a smart hulk bleed from a What If episode...

The one where Hulk has banner's brain.

Probably...thankfully it didn't last. Once he got back from the Secret Wars, he started to become more savage since Nightmare was manipulating his brain...One of the best arcs I've ever read in Hulk was the last four issues before number 300.....

Has to be the issues where Betty And Veronica fight over Archie and Reggie...

oh wait.. thats every issue.

smile.gif

j/k

I am leaning towards ol Electra getting shish kabobbed..that panel really did surprise me first time I read it.