• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graders wanted! Hulk #181

31 posts in this topic

Since I only paid $.25 for it, I thought I was way ahead of the game -- redid my daughter's bedroom with the coin. In retrospect it was a big mistake tonofbricks.gif, as I think it may have gotten a 9.8.

Yeah, and it may have gotten a 9.4, or it may have been crushed by a US Post employee and received a 5.0, or...

I think you did incredibly well, and $1850 for raw is an insane amount, and you should be proud of taking a 25-cent funny book and turning it into something useful.

According to the scan Im calling it a 9.4 You sold it raw as I recall!

Davidking623

Right you are DK, I sold it raw in 6/2002 for $1850, the first book I sold on eBay. I had just got hosed by CGC on my Avengers #4 and I was reluctant to send them anything else. Bids came from worldwide, yet the winner ended up being in the next town over. I met him at the bank and he paid me cash. He didn't even want to touch the book -- all I had to do was unsheath it, open it to the MVS page to confirm it was intact, and put it back in the Mylar for him.

Since I only paid $.25 for it, I thought I was way ahead of the game -- redid my daughter's bedroom with the coin. In retrospect it was a big mistake tonofbricks.gif, as I think it may have gotten a 9.8. He still owns it, and hasn't gotten it graded - he's a righteous collector. I keep buggin' him to send it in . . . The page quality is unbelieveable.

My second copy was the 8.5 White pages, no MVS that you bought.

cheers,

Nice price on the sale of it being raw! Its funny maybe it could score a 9.6 possible 9.8 since you did have the book in hand.Show the guy the latest price a 9.6 has gone for and what a 9.8 has gone for maybe hell come around it would be nice to know how it would score!Unbeliveable book how did you keep it so nice I mean to get it home and everything Inquiry minds want to know?

Davidking623

Davidking623

Right you are DK, I sold it raw in 6/2002 for $1850, the first book I sold on eBay. I had just got hosed by CGC on my Avengers #4 and I was reluctant to send them anything else. Bids came from worldwide, yet the winner ended up being in the next town over. I met him at the bank and he paid me cash. He didn't even want to touch the book -- all I had to do was unsheath it, open it to the MVS page to confirm it was intact, and put it back in the Mylar for him.

Since I only paid $.25 for it, I thought I was way ahead of the game -- redid my daughter's bedroom with the coin. In retrospect it was a big mistake tonofbricks.gif, as I think it may have gotten a 9.8. He still owns it, and hasn't gotten it graded - he's a righteous collector. I keep buggin' him to send it in . . . The page quality is unbelieveable.

cheers,

Nice price on the sale of it being raw! Its funny maybe it could score a 9.6 possible 9.8 since you did have the book in hand.Show the guy the latest price a 9.6 has gone for and what a 9.8 has gone for maybe hell come around it would be nice to know how it would score!Unbeliveable book how did you keep it so nice I mean to get it home and everything Inquiry minds want to know?

Davidking623

dk,

My recollection is that it came out in the late summer of 1974 - I was working a summer job as a clerk at the local drug store. One of my jobs was to unband the comics and magazines as they were delivered, and to put them on the racks.

I was able to hand choose the titles I wanted and put them in a bag to take home at the end of my shift. At this point in time poly bags were available, but you had to be a NASA scientist to get mylar. As The Incredible Hulk at the the time was a relatively floundering title, I probably bagged both books withour reading them, and put them in their series stack in one of a dozen or so tomato boxes I used for storing books at the time.

These stayed in the closet in my parents basement until 1995, when my parents sold the house and moved to Florida. Just before the house changed hands I flew home and shipped the books back as they were stored via UPS to California.

It wasn't until 2002 that I took them out again and rebagged them all in mylar and acid free-boards. Although the poly bags had degraded a bit (tinting) they did the job well for some 28 years. These were stacked without back boards - not a hint of spine roll, as every 25 books were reversed top to bottom in the stack. The page quality of most of my Bronze age books are as white as they get.

I've always considered my personally purchased books to be a Pedigree, but hey (its who you blow, not who you know!)

cheers,

shocked.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif

Davidking623

cheers,

Davidking623

dk,

My recollection is that it came out in the late summer of 1974 - I was working a summer job as a clerk at the local drug store. One of my jobs was to unband the comics and magazines as they were delivered, and to put them on the racks.

I was able to hand choose the titles I wanted and put them in a bag to take home at the end of my shift. At this point in time poly bags were available, but you had to be a NASA scientist to get mylar. As The Incredible Hulk at the the time was a relatively floundering title, I probably bagged both books withour reading them, and put them in their series stack in one of a dozen or so tomato boxes I used for storing books at the time.

These stayed in the closet in my parents basement until 1995, when my parents sold the house and moved to Florida. Just before the house changed hands I flew home and shipped the books back as they were stored via UPS to California.

It wasn't until 2002 that I took them out again and rebagged them all in mylar and acid free-boards. Although the poly bags had degraded a bit (tinting) they did the job well for some 28 years. These were stacked without back boards - not a hint of spine roll, as every 25 books were reversed top to bottom in the stack. The page quality of most of my Bronze age books are as white as they get.

I've always considered my personally purchased books to be a Pedigree, but hey (its who you blow, not who you know!)

cheers,

shocked.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif

Divad a truly incredible story Thanks so much! Imagine the odds of everything that could have gone wrong and yet nice great copies! The Divad Collection!!!!

Davidking623

You're kidding right?

Touche, Newt, but why even post that POS ASM #75???

devil.gif

I wasn't born when that book came out. I'm a college student and I can't afford books in high grade. I bought it the day I scaned it. Just wanted to make sure my grading was right. I'm proud of my low grade book. I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it for the enjoyment of reading the old stories and actually owning a part of the rich history that is comicbooks. If I owned a higher grade version of the book I would be afraid to read it. Once I get a nice paying job maybe I'll scan for everyone the higher grade books I plan to buy. thumbsup2.gif

You're kidding right?

devil.gif

I wasn't born when that book came out. I'm a college student and I can't afford books in high grade. I bought it the day I scaned it. Just wanted to make sure my grading was right. I'm proud of my low grade book. I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it for the enjoyment of reading the old stories and actually owning a part of the rich history that is comicbooks. If I owned a higher grade version of the book I would be afraid to read it. Once I get a nice paying job maybe I'll scan for everyone the higher grade books I plan to buy. thumbsup2.gif

Newt,

PM your address to me, and I'll send you a high grade book - an old story, and rich in history (but you'll have to read it!)

wink.gif

You're kidding right?

devil.gif

Newt,

PM your address to me, and I'll send you a high grade book - an old story, and rich in history (but you'll have to read it!)

wink.gif

For real? flowerred.gif