• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 9.0????

44 posts in this topic

After seeing the grade on your JIM83 and seeing this book, I was like, how is this a 9.0? Granted your book has interior unseen issues, but even if this avengers1 has no other issues on BC or inside, it had no right going out the door from CGC in that holder.

:cry:

It's got a low 27k serial number so maybe it slipped by in the early days

Wrong, just graded two months ago.....

Certification # 0027716004

Grade Date 11/02/2011

Title Avengers

Issue 1

Issue Date 9/63

Publisher Marvel Comics

Is that info available to all CGC Members? Or GPA Members?

Grade Date 11/02/2011

Title Avengers

Issue 1

Issue Date 9/63

Publisher Marvel Comics

This info is available on the Collectors Society website only.

Grade Date 11/02/2011

Title Avengers

Issue 1

Issue Date 9/63

Publisher Marvel Comics

This info is available on the Collectors Society website only.

I looked around and found it. Thank You :applause:

It's a pretty small scan guys . . . and it is just a scan ;)

RAD8376C20111118_103951.jpg

Pretty much pointless to have a bigger better scan at this stage. A larger scan will only add to the laundry list of defects already visable. Do you actually think the CB creases and spine ticks are going to disappear?

The person who subbed that book must of did backflips when he got that grade back.

The problem though is this. I have a few books that are over-graded by a point also. I personally didn't do any celebrating when they came back. I was actually in shock that they recieved those grades. It may seem like a nice score on your end, but what about the buyer who gets it and know's how to grade also. I don't think they're going to be too happy with the book. Just sayin.

WORD

that being said, your 9.0 looks right to me, the BC has got to be sharp, and the overall look can add to the nitpicky grade and bump it up a little. What are the grader's notes?

Just dont understand this. There has to be a simple rule, if it has a 9 in the grade (9.0 or higher) it cant have any color breaking creases.

Im staring at my overstreet condition guide and when it comes to creases a 9.0 can have "a 1/8" bend, no bread and a small amount of corner wear (i.e. slight rounding)"

I know CGC is not Overstreet, and maybe their "no color breaking creases" line in the sand is at 9.2.

It is best you don't use the guide in my opinion. It is not hard to find example of books from 9.0 to even 9.6 with corner creases between 1/2" to 1/16".

outside of just using my personal examples to try and equate condition to grade (and the online samples too) theres not another "guide" to use is there? Its not like CGC has one.... :P

there is at least one member here building a fairly comprehensive grading guide using hundreds of scans of all grades as a guide.

Other than that, all one can do really is look at enough CGC slabs to gain an understanding over time.

Even then, it is not like one can "convince" another person what a grade of a book can be in my opinion. I sell enough raw books to know that grading is still "subjective" and often it is a hell of lot easier to slab a book and consign it than trying to convince someone else a book is 9.0 or something else.

p.s. i don't think the Overstreet guide is useless but it is important to understand that there is big difference in what CGC' standard is compared to the guide.

the CGC guidelines are not far from Overstreet. The stress lines usually lend to VF but a high vfnm is 9.0 / 9.2 anywho

the best way to learn how to grade is hang out with dealer or collector friend

My favorite grading guide is the Overstreet Grading Guide 2nd edition. (of course)

Go to conventions and check out all a graded comics, talk to the dealers. Support your local comic book store!

the CGC guidelines are not far from Overstreet. The stress lines usually lend to VF but a high vfnm is 9.0 / 9.2 anywho

My favorite grading guide is the Overstreet Grading Guide 2nd edition. (of course)

Go to conventions and check out all a graded comics, talk to the dealers. Support your local comic book store!

Why is someone helping you hold these books in your photo? Were they thinking that you may drop them or run off with them?

Why is someone helping you hold these books in your photo? Were they thinking that you may drop them or run off with them?

I was thinking that's one big sig. line. I'm even thinking of turning off sig. lines if everyone is going to have sigs this big. :tonofbricks: