• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Blanks? (and DragonCon question)

17 posts in this topic

OK I've tried searching but to no avail (or getting spamloads of threads about Danger Girl)....

Is there a consensus, or at least a top list of the best recent (last few years) blanks for artists to sketch on?

I know everyone has their favorite when it comes to the books design (title, whether the back is blank etc) but when it comes to paper quality on the cover for sketching purposes (both B/W and Colored) is there a party line of what the best comic blanks are to use?

And as a sidenote, does anyone know if there will be a CGC facilitator for Dragon*con this year? Desert Wind Comics apparently filled this role last year, but is it to far off to know for 2012? (see where this is all heading? blanks+ facilitator at dragoncon = my wallet crying :cry:)

There will definitely be SS coverage at Dragon Con. I like Fallen Sons, Secret Invasion (matte finish) Avengers 1 and X-Men 1 with the blood. If you don't mind the pedestal, New Avengers #1s take color really well. The X-Force #1 is pretty good, too. I have some others, but haven't used them yet.

OK I've tried searching but to no avail (or getting spamloads of threads about Danger Girl)....

Is there a consensus, or at least a top list of the best recent (last few years) blanks for artists to sketch on?

I know everyone has their favorite when it comes to the books design (title, whether the back is blank etc) but when it comes to paper quality on the cover for sketching purposes (both B/W and Colored) is there a party line of what the best comic blanks are to use?

And as a sidenote, does anyone know if there will be a CGC facilitator for Dragon*con this year? Desert Wind Comics apparently filled this role last year, but is it to far off to know for 2012? (see where this is all heading? blanks+ facilitator at dragoncon = my wallet crying :cry:)

So far I'd have to say this Image Blank is my favorite. blank.jpg

Everyone I've ever received came in perfect condition and every artist I've had do a sketch on them for me comments on how nice and easy the cover is to work with.

There will definitely be SS coverage at Dragon Con. I like Fallen Sons, Secret Invasion (matte finish) Avengers 1 and X-Men 1 with the blood. If you don't mind the pedestal, New Avengers #1s take color really well. The X-Force #1 is pretty good, too. I have some others, but haven't used them yet.

thanks sf, I figured there would be (though that con has to be a headache since its spread across so many hotel convention halls).

Is the Secret Invasion matte finish from a particular printing of the #1 blank?

Everyone I've ever received came in perfect condition and every artist I've had do a sketch on them for me comments on how nice and easy the cover is to work with.

Really? Image United typically is considered the WORST or one of the WORST sketch covers due to its slick stock, doesnt take color well and the fact that ink tends to take a while to dry.

If I were to rank blank based on the stock (I feel like we have done this before) it would be

1. Avengers #1

2. Dark Avengers #1

3. X-Men #1 (would be #2 but the blood spatter takes away)

4. Marvels Project (#1 for me but many don't like the border and their lack of avaiabilty)

5. New Avengers #1

Really? Image United typically is considered the WORST or one of the WORST sketch covers due to its slick stock, doesnt take color well and the fact that ink tends to take a while to dry.

If I were to rank blank based on the stock (I feel like we have done this before) it would be

1. Avengers #1

2. Dark Avengers #1

3. X-Men #1 (would be #2 but the blood spatter takes away)

4. Marvels Project (#1 for me but many don't like border and their rarity)

5. New Avengers #1

I dont doubt its been done before Par, I just couldnt get the search engine to play nice (though if this is a frequent question it could be stickied...)

I remember asking this about 9 or 10 months ago myself so I know there is another thread. Seems like at the time it was

Marvels Project #1

Avengers #1

New Avengers #1

and I can't remember the rest but I do remember a discussion on the Image blank and that it was basically good for sharpies and not much else when it comes to "inks".

1st print Secret Invasions are horrible but the matte finish second print are fairly decent.

does anyone know if there will be a CGC facilitator for Dragon*con this year? Desert Wind Comics apparently filled this role last year

:tonofbricks:

OH! BOOM! are the BEST! 4_1_72.gif

does anyone know if there will be a CGC facilitator for Dragon*con this year? Desert Wind Comics apparently filled this role last year

:tonofbricks:

Adam, I will continue to use you as a facilitator for this show year after year man. The husband/wife duo can get sigs like nobody else! :thumbsup:

Most of the new ones have been fine for black and white. I have had some try to color on them but many times the colors dont seem to blend well(especially with markers)

BUT there are artists that have been able to get amazing results with colors on those covers.

For color your best bet has been Avengers, MP, DA, X-Men #1