• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did you get your comic book money???

50 posts in this topic

When I a kid in the 70's I used to walk the roads looking for soda bottles to turn in at the

convenient store for change to buy candy, comics and the occasional pack of Kiss cards.

The big liter bottles were a gold mine because they were 20 cents where the others

I would get 10 cents each for. If I thought a trash can/dumpster had bottles in it I

was not too proud to dive in.

Later on I switched to can collecting to recycle but that wasn't nearly effective

so I got a paper route.

As a kid in the 80's would sell off unwanted gifts and toys at school. Used that money to buy candy at the store and then took that candy to school and sold it for double what I paid for it. That made me all the money I needed to get all the comic books and TMNT trading cards & action figures I wanted.

When I turned 11 I joined one of those youth work programs that sold candy door to door after school and on the weekends. I made about $300 a week doing that. After giving $200 of that a week to my mom to help out since she was a single parent and I was the oldest of 4 at the time, I'd use the remaining to buy anything I wanted. I had a great comic book and trading card collection. Still have many of those books today but most are now cgc ss. I did that all the way until I ended high school.

I used to walk the roads looking for soda bottles to turn in at the convenient store for change to buy candy, comics and the occasional pack of Kiss cards.

I heard of another kid that used to do that, but he'd give the money to a man named Curtis Lowe... :cloud9:

From '42 to '47 I shined shoes on the streets of Newark, NJ...on a good day I could make at

least $1.20. From '48 to '52 I delivered newspapers...after that I got a real job.

mm

As a kid in the 80's would sell off unwanted gifts and toys at school. Used that money to buy candy at the store and then took that candy to school and sold it for double what I paid for it. That made me all the money I needed to get all the comic books and TMNT trading cards & action figures I wanted.

When I turned 11 I joined one of those youth work programs that sold candy...

You did that before you turned 11? Wow, sounds like your gears started turning at an early age. :applause:

I had a paper route and used to deliver the afternoon edition to a house where a guy was selling his collection. Each week I would go to the house and buy a stack of books. Later on, I worked as a dishwasher and, of course, my mom helped me out to an extent far above most. (worship)

I'd use my allowance money from doing chores, and when that wasn't enough to fund my comic book and baseball card addiction, I dragged the lawn mower all over the neighborhood and banged on doors asking people if I could mow their lawn.

That's the same as me.

Unfortunately, most people in my neighborhood did their own lawns. Every once in awhile someone would let you mow, but never a consistant gig.

Once I was old enough to work, I started working at the local hardware store. I knew the manager, so he hooked me up. All my friends were working for minimum wage and I was bringing in $6/hour. :banana:

I didn't start collecting comics seriously until I was 20 and by then I started my career. After 4 years of collecting I have less than 50 comics :(

Depends on what those "50" comics are...

If it's Action 1-50 you are a geek god!

(worship)