• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A golden age alphabet for February 2012

1,510 posts in this topic

As the number of days in February is almost the same as the number of letters in the alphabet I thought it might be fun to focus on one letter per day for the next 27 days. I dont want to restrict this simply to titles, so anything remotely relevant goes - artists, stories, favourite or unusual characters, subject matter, and yes, even titles.

So today anyone who is minded, please post anything of interest related to the letter "A" - tomorrow "B" and so forth!

A...is for All American.

I'll get things started in a modest way with this. I toyed with saving it for when we come to "H" (for "Harlequin" as she is one of my favourite villains and has far and away the best costume ever! But I have another issue I'll save until then.) All of her appearances are scarce, so quite a challenge to put together!

All-American8960.jpg

A...is for ACG - and Adventures into the Unknown! The mid- to late-50's issues are particularly scarce and - I think- under-appreciated, though mind you, take that opinion with a pinch of salt as I often list these in sales threads! But they do have some really great Ogden Whitney covers and these are among my favourites, long-cherished:

AdventuresintotheUnknown63.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown72.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown73.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown77.jpg

Pulps too?

A...

...is for Amazing Stories! It was the first magazine dedicated solely to science fiction. In fact, editor Hugo Gernsback is credited with inventing the terms "scientifiction" and "science fiction." AS lasted for almost 80 years, beginning in 1926 and ceasing publication in 2005.

1st issue of Amazing Stories, April 1926.

AmazingStoriesVol1No1Apr1926.jpg