• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Bottom 10

112 posts in this topic

I wouldn't consider you a "down and out" but growing up in New York City when they were plentiful and always begging, I've been highly desensitized to them and their plight. I don't go out of my way to "kick" them but I also don't drop them any change. It is not my problem to enable someone who could and should otherwise get off the street and make something productive of themselves but would RATHER/prefer to live the way they do, because of mental instability or just plain laziness. My friends always ask how I could be so cold. I just tell them that I believe that "helping" these guys out with spare change is just addint to their detriment. Most of the guys I encounter are duplicitous in the least. MOst guys in the metro area would understand this. They come up to you at the subway station and ask for change "to get home". You give them the change they need to get home, but they turn around and accost someone else 2 seconds later. You feel like a fool for having been tricked. Nothing I hate worse. You know these guys are going to use that to buy drugs or booze. Why hsould I be a part of that? I've offered guys outside a McDonald's a sandwich instead and they flat out turn me down. Those guys deserve my ignoring of their self inflicted "plight".

You may think you are being generous by giving to the beggars, but all you are is being a patsy/sucker. Talk to guys from New York City, or San Francisco or DC where the homeless/vagrants/panhandlers number in the thousands... I remember going to San Francisco and that was all I could remember about that city...how they could tolerate letting these vagrants wander around and accosting decent folk...made me sick.

...how they could tolerate letting these vagrants wander around and accosting decent folk...made me sick.

Wow. I agree with a lot of what you say, but that last sentence... 893whatthe.gif

Surely some of those people were decent folk who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own. They may be a minority, but don't you feel anything for them?

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

hi.gif from San Francisco.

I wouldn't consider you a "down and out" but growing up in New York City when they were plentiful and always begging, I've been highly desensitized to them and their plight. I don't go out of my way to "kick" them but I also don't drop them any change. It is not my problem to enable someone who could and should otherwise get off the street and make something productive of themselves but would RATHER/prefer to live the way they do, because of mental instability or just plain laziness. My friends always ask how I could be so cold. I just tell them that I believe that "helping" these guys out with spare change is just addint to their detriment. Most of the guys I encounter are duplicitous in the least. MOst guys in the metro area would understand this. They come up to you at the subway station and ask for change "to get home". You give them the change they need to get home, but they turn around and accost someone else 2 seconds later. You feel like a fool for having been tricked. Nothing I hate worse. You know these guys are going to use that to buy drugs or booze. Why hsould I be a part of that? I've offered guys outside a McDonald's a sandwich instead and they flat out turn me down. Those guys deserve my ignoring of their self inflicted "plight".

You may think you are being generous by giving to the beggars, but all you are is being a patsy/sucker. Talk to guys from New York City, or San Francisco or DC where the homeless/vagrants/panhandlers number in the thousands... I remember going to San Francisco and that was all I could remember about that city...how they could tolerate letting these vagrants wander around and accosting decent folk...made me sick.

I always gave the vagrants in San Francisco a lot of credit for at least picking a beautiful city to live in. I know that sounds strange, but it's what I kept thinking when I ran into them there.

I always gave the vagrants in San Francisco a lot of credit for at least picking a beautiful city to live in. I know that sounds strange, but it's what I kept thinking when I ran into them there.

that's where we send all our homeless people. flowerred.gif

I just found them aggressive. And enterprising. One of them came up to me and I told him I didn't understand what he was saying as I only spoke Spanish. He then got out a laminated card with the words "Do you have any spare change" in about 7-8 different languages.

...how they could tolerate letting these vagrants wander around and accosting decent folk...made me sick.

Wow. I agree with a lot of what you say, but that last sentence... 893whatthe.gif

Surely some of those people were decent folk who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own. They may be a minority, but don't you feel anything for them?

ON this topic, I'm jaded. I've had a couple of unfriendly run-ins during my teen years with these folk. I wish Giuliani had been mayor of NYC back then...

Decent folk on hard times will always bounce back...on their own merits or after seeking help from sources set up specifically for the purpose of getting them back on their feet. No need to be aggressive panhandlers, who barely cross the line of being muggers, IMO.

Tell me again....why ANYONE might actually care about your opinion? confused.gif

Your delusional concept of SELF-IMPORTANCE not only rivals....but surpasses my own.

No reason to care or not to care. I may not own 1000 CGC slabs in 9.4+ of all key books from 1960 on frown.gif, but I'm as much a living, breathing human as everyone else here. My opinion is no better or worse than anyone elses. There is a lot of opinion on the boards and I'm really sorry if this thread offended anyone, especially you. flowerred.gif

• 1. I wasn't offended
  • 2. I own less than 100 CGC slabs
  • 3. If I made a "Bottom 10" list, and your name was on it....would you respond?

You can say whatever you want on here....but don't be surprised when those you point a finger at.....start pointing back.

Anyway......

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Didn't meant to be down on SF... love the Wharf, those cute sea lions playing ( mmm...sea lion steak! ), Chianatown and the heroin alleys, Ghirardelli Sq, the trolleys, the strip clubs, yes SF is a great and beautiful city. I'm just glad that I was wandering the streets those nights with an armed contingent.

No joke, I'm riding the F "trolley?" to the Wharf and this ex-vet sits across from some business guy going home from work and out of nowhere starts swearing at him and calling him a homosexual, and blaming him for anything and everything, from why his wife left him to losing his job. The guy gets off at the next stop as the vagrant is following him swaering. The vagrant then sits next to me and starts going off about killing Asians in Vietnam and asking me if I'm vietnamese. I tell him no, then he whips out his Veteran's ID card and proceeds to tell me that if he was back in the jungles shooting "gooks", he'd want me there covering his back. Fortunately the Wharf stop comes up and the guy wants to give me a hug, smelling like stale urine and booze. I feel bad for the old black dude, but then again I'm thinking he's armed, so I shake his hand and wish him a good night. The co-workers I was out with that night wouldn't let me live it down. Everywhere we went that week, it seemed that I was the target out of my group for the next vagrant to harass and hit up for money or with a sob story I didn't want to hear. Just weird...

Another great SF incident...I'm walking to work from the Marriott (2nd andFulsom) and I see two huge bodybuilders walking holding hands and all of a sudden as I pass, I hear one guy in a really high effeminate voice, "Love you Dear...have a great day at work" and give him this huge tongue kiss right there on the corner. Now I haven't even had my coffee yet but I felt like ralphing...you can't say anything cause these gays were both about the size of "Hammer" ....

One last one... I'm walking by this Yoga studio filled with hot chicks in leotards, big open pane glass window... I catch a glimpse of the instructor and die laughing...picture Mr T in a pink thong bikini and that is what had me rolling the rest of the day

Ain't no place in the world like San Francisco tongue.gif

1 - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2 - Bullseye

3 - =7

4 - popcorn.gif

5 - Daft

6 - Oh God

7 - =3

8 - Dave

9 - Destroyer

I've decided that I, MajorKhaos, appear NO LESS than FOUR times on this list.

3 - =7 -- Me. Or my alter ego. It's hard to say which one.

7 - =3 -- My alter ego. Or me. It's hard to say which one.

9 - Destroyer -- For I am the one who rained down on the Coinees many, many golden showers of great vengeance and furious anger... and I broke a Hummel when I went over to Liam's house for tea and crumpets.

6 - "Oh God" -- This is something that I THOUGHT was between GirlfriendKhaos and me... Liam? Have you been surveilling me?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

Did I point a finger at you? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the welcome. cloud9.gif

Am I not on your list?

Either way.....it doesn't really matter.

My response to your original post was meant in jest . It takes alot more than a "bottom 10" list to get me upset.

If you've been lurking for about a year.....you should already know this. wink.gif

Yes Liam, I'm not offended either. My posts are not great in the least nor entertaining for all. I'm just curious which one put you off as I don't recall ever casting a negative post your way? (prior to thisthread wink.gif )

Yes Liam, I'm not offended either. My posts are not great in the least nor entertaining for all. I'm just curious which one put you off as I don't recall ever casting a negative post your way? (prior to thisthread wink.gif )

Excuse me, but who told you YOU were on the list?!?!? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I didn't think you were being down on SF - just the aggressive panhandlers, and there are tons of them. They are here because SF offers more in the way of welfare to homeless people than anyplace else I know.

In the ten years I've lived here, I've had exactly one experience like you had on the F line to the Wharf. It was a pretty freaky occurrence, but it hasn't happened since then (six years ago). Sounds like you just got "lucky" when it happened to you. 27_laughing.gif

No comment on the gay stuff other than to say that I see that all the time and it doesn't bother me. It was a little weird to get used to it when I first moved here ten years ago because where I grew up that didn't go on. But they're just people and although their personal tastes are different from mine, it's really none of my business.

The yoga story is priceless. I do see that all the time, and have to admit that I find it entertaining, not offputting. One of my favorite things about this town is all of the colorful characters in it.

thumbsup2.gif

Didn't meant to be down on SF... love the Wharf, those cute sea lions playing ( mmm...sea lion steak! ), Chianatown and the heroin alleys, Ghirardelli Sq, the trolleys, the strip clubs, yes SF is a great and beautiful city. I'm just glad that I was wandering the streets those nights with an armed contingent.

No joke, I'm riding the F "trolley?" to the Wharf and this ex-vet sits across from some business guy going home from work and out of nowhere starts swearing at him and calling him a homosexual, and blaming him for anything and everything, from why his wife left him to losing his job. The guy gets off at the next stop as the vagrant is following him swaering. The vagrant then sits next to me and starts going off about killing Asians in Vietnam and asking me if I'm vietnamese. I tell him no, then he whips out his Veteran's ID card and proceeds to tell me that if he was back in the jungles shooting "gooks", he'd want me there covering his back. Fortunately the Wharf stop comes up and the guy wants to give me a hug, smelling like stale urine and booze. I feel bad for the old black dude, but then again I'm thinking he's armed, so I shake his hand and wish him a good night. The co-workers I was out with that night wouldn't let me live it down. Everywhere we went that week, it seemed that I was the target out of my group for the next vagrant to harass and hit up for money or with a sob story I didn't want to hear. Just weird...

Another great SF incident...I'm walking to work from the Marriott (2nd andFulsom) and I see two huge bodybuilders walking holding hands and all of a sudden as I pass, I hear one guy in a really high effeminate voice, "Love you Dear...have a great day at work" and give him this huge tongue kiss right there on the corner. Now I haven't even had my coffee yet but I felt like ralphing...you can't say anything cause these gays were both about the size of "Hammer" ....

One last one... I'm walking by this Yoga studio filled with hot chicks in leotards, big open pane glass window... I catch a glimpse of the instructor and die laughing...picture Mr T in a pink thong bikini and that is what had me rolling the rest of the day

Ain't no place in the world like San Francisco tongue.gif

5 gossip.gif

Personally, I think that Liam should stop being such a passive aggressive pantywaist and just name names.

(Heh, that outta get me on the list if I'm not there already. devil.gif)

5 gossip.gif

Ah, I see where the less-informed could come to such a conclusion but, in fact, "Daft" is in reference to "Daffney Pansy". You see, "Daffney" is FFB's stage name. Lawyer by day, cross-dressing cabaret dancer by night, donchaknow.

5 gossip.gif

Ah, I see where the less-informed could come to such a conclusion but, in fact, "Daft" is in reference to "Daffney Pansy". You see, "Daffney" is FFB's stage name. Lawyer by day, cross-dressing cabaret dancer by night, donchaknow.

acclaim.gif

5 gossip.gif

you are confused, I don't think FFB is on this list, but tell us how you really feel about him. Perhaps he's on your list.