• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one small step..... for CGG

46 posts in this topic

Well, after I am sure was a numerous amount of requests, CGG has added a bio of their three primary personel to their website. So.. this is who they are......

http://www.comicgradinggroup.com/gradingteam.htm

I just check the site every once in a while to see if anything is new. I'm still a 100% CGC diehard though. Does anyone feel any better about CGG after reading this? confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

May 3, 2004

We have added a new security feature to our holder package. Starting May of 2004 we are putting a tamper evident sticker on the back of our labels, as well as one behind the label on the inner holder. Although we have not had any attempted fraud or deception with our holders or books we have graded, this will add even more protection against any possiblity of this ever happening. We believe this will add even more confidence in our service and holder system.

no, confused-smiley-013.gif i couldn't stop laughing reading the resto detectors' bio. 27_laughing.gif

Yes, it is important to really understand those binary defects!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Maybey he is the guy who makes sure the comics scans are correct!

no, confused-smiley-013.gif i couldn't stop laughing reading the resto detectors' bio. 27_laughing.gif

Yes, it is important to really understand those binary defects!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Maybey he is the guy who makes sure the comics scans are correct!

Yep, maybey he is foreheadslap.gif

This really was nice of them... now I have home addresses for two of the three graders... thumbsup2.gif

That sounds kinky to me...what are you and Donovan going to do...

Paging Ron Jeremy....Paging Ron Jeremy...

Actually Donovan is the one I don't have... I'll trade you a Daniel Patterson for a Donovan Elliot. flowerred.gif

To answer your original post honestly, BassGMan, I don't feel comfortable. The BIO of the graders don't talk about practical experience. Actually, based off what I just read, it sounds like I have enough experience to be the senior grader.

I do applaud their efforts to communicate more information.

Areas of opportunities:

Fix the web site. It totally lacks professionalism. With at least a minimal of time and effort, maybe their web site can look professional. Right now, it looks like they whipped it up in 5 minutes. Hint: Add some dynamic content.

Secondly, get the census going. I have serious reservations if they have the technology to get this done based on the lack of professionalism on the main site.

Third, they need to address some of the perception / public relation issues creeping into the collecting community. The holder, mysterious eBay sellers, claims of avoiding true impartial grading, etc. All spilled on here before.

I truly do wish them the best of luck. Competition is truly needed in this area. Until I see some noticable improvement in the above, I don't see their situation improving soon.

Sterling

Sterling, I agree with everything you just said. This new bio is not impressive. I wrote to them with a few suggestions on how to improve it. Reminds me of my own resumes when I was younger and did not have much experience or anything impressive to put down on my resume. I just made the little information that I had look as "beefy" as possible. It ends up just looking like BSing.

However, I honestly believe that if any of us three experienced collector/dealers got together to form our own little grading company, then I think we could come to a pretty good consensus as to what each book deserved as far as a grade. Restoration detection however is another matter. I am a very good grader but I do not know restoration. I'm not worried about their grading ability for those similar reasons and an impressive resume would help, but it is in the comfort of knowing that they can accurately detect restoration, and notate it correctly, that is essential here in establishing trust. That is the key. Heck, most people that have bought and sold comics for at least ten years have probably gotten pretty good at grading. Those that may appear "off" on their grading would probably be closer when grading other people's books as we all know that some people over or under grade due to a bias. Anyway, just some thoughts. ------Sid

Fix the web site. It totally lacks professionalism. With at least a minimal of time and effort, maybe their web site can look professional. Right now, it looks like they whipped it up in 5 minutes. Hint: Add some dynamic content.

It's getting better over time, but yeah, they should continue to invest some effort and reources into it. And they should get a real marketing person to work on their text. At the very least, find someone who has a solid grasp of English:

His impressive knowledge, and professionalism was obvious throughout the CGGroup testing period, making John a welcome edition to the CGGroup Grading Team.

Calling all grammar and spelling police! We should have a contest to total up the errors in that single sentence!

foreheadslap.gif