• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade Tomb of Dracula!

46 posts in this topic

How do you come up with such high grade items?

pete,

During the mid-seventies, I was working as a clerk at the local drug store. One of my jobs was to unband the comics and magazines as they were delivered, and to put them on the racks.

I was able to hand choose the titles I wanted and put them in a bag to take home at the end of my shift. At this point in time poly bags were available, but you had to be a NASA scientist to get mylar. I probably bagged most of the books without reading them, and put them in their series stack in one of a dozen or so tomato boxes I used for storing books at the time.

These stayed in the closet in my parents basement until 1995, when my parents sold the house and moved to Florida. Just before the house changed hands I flew home and shipped the books back as they were stored via UPS to California.

It wasn't until 2002 that I took them out again and rebagged them all in mylar and acid free-boards. Although the poly bags had degraded a bit (tinting) they did the job well for some 28 years. These were stacked without back boards - not a hint of spine roll, as every 25 books were reversed top to bottom in the stack. The page quality of most of my Bronze age books are as white as they get.

I've always considered my personally purchased books to be a Pedigree, but hey (its who you blow, not who you know!)

cheers,

blush.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif

man, were it not for the BRC, that would be a 9.6 contender... nice!

I have about 33% of the series, all CGC 9.6 or higher.... thumbsup2.gif

...and the entire 70 issue VF collection for reading purposes...definitely an interesting series!

Corner? The book has corners? I try to look at the corners and my eyes automatically wander back to the image reflected in the mirror devil.gif

Yes, like I said, It's one of my favorite covers in the tittle!

smile.gif

Damn, 338 hits, 14 replies, and not a single bid!!! Yikes, it's back to the drawing board! 893frustrated.gif

Well, if it was actually a NM- complete copy, I'm sure someone would have bid on it. I usually toss my MVS-less copies in the "reading pile", but that's just me.

Damn, 338 hits, 14 replies, and not a single bid!!! Yikes, it's back to the drawing board! 893frustrated.gif

Well, if it was actually a NM- complete copy, I'm sure someone would have bid on it. I usually toss my MVS-less copies in the "reading pile", but that's just me.

Too bad you don't have any high grade "MVS-less" books - you'd know better.

cheers,

Too bad you don't have any high grade "MVS-less" books - you'd know better.

Nah...more like you'll learn....

Comics missing the MVS are as good as coverless with most Bronze collectors. One of the appealing aspects and selling points of these Bronze Marvel IS the MVS. Plus why pay $12 for an incomplete comic when you can pay the same for a nice complete one? 893frustrated.gif

Jim