• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

general question about a dealer and return policy...

171 posts in this topic

You know...to everybody who jumped on the 'let's tell a dealer what he's doing wrong' bandwagon, without having anything close to the facts...

Pick your battles, because otherwise you end up looking like complete kock cheese. (thumbs u

Really?

So, in principle, if you bought something from a dealer, sent it back (under the terms of the dealer's returns policy) and said dealer didn't reimburse you the full amount, you'd just chalk it up as a loss?

Please don't confuse the lunacy of the OP and his obvious pendant for fanciful storytelling with the general issue that's been discussed in this thread as well :thumbsup:

But even putting aside the sillines of the OP, was the issue not that the payment facilitator (I don't know the right word) took a cut? What's the seller supposed to do about that?

In this hypothetical situation (seeing there's no reason to believe the OP is telling the truth about anything, really), the seller should have done a refund in the same manner the payment was originally received which would have given the buyer the full refund that he was supposed to get. That the seller didn't do this is certainly not the buyer's fault.

Another hypothetical: I have two Paypal accounts, one in the US and one in Denmark. You buy an item from me, change your mind & decide to take advantage of my "any item can be returned for any reason whatsoever" returns policy. I receive the item back and mistakenly shoot you a refund from my Danish paypal account - which means that you'll now have to pay a currency conversion fee in order to receive the refund.

Would you accept it if I told you this was Paypal's problem because they're the ones charging you this fee, not me?

Okay, I'll buy that.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. What's your return policy first? lol

You know...to everybody who jumped on the 'let's tell a dealer what he's doing wrong' bandwagon, without having anything close to the facts...

Pick your battles, because otherwise you end up looking like complete kock cheese. (thumbs u

Really?

So, in principle, if you bought something from a dealer, sent it back (under the terms of the dealer's returns policy) and said dealer didn't reimburse you the full amount, you'd just chalk it up as a loss?

Please don't confuse the lunacy of the OP and his obvious pendant for fanciful storytelling with the general issue that's been discussed in this thread as well :thumbsup:

If my loss was 3.9% of the buy price, but it was with a dealer who took a return for no reason other than personal preference..I'd consider myself blessed in this little hobby we have. (thumbs u

If a seller has a return policy stating that they take returns for any reason whatsoever, that is the seller's decision. This does not in any way give them carte blanche to decide that the amount they're going to reimburse is no longer 100% of the purchase price, but rather 96.1%.

It boggles my mind that somebody with such an excellent customer service reputation as yours would in any way think this was ok.

Arrggh!!! The seller didn't keep the 3.9% (in this hypothetical situation). It was Paypal that took it. How come that doesn't make a difference to you?

Because, again, in this particular hypothetical scenario the seller screwed up when he issued the refund; it's akin to saying "Even though you paid me through Paypal, I decided to send you your refund as a cashier's check, and, oh, it cost me $30 to have that check made out, so that'll be subtracted from your refund".

Really?

But even putting aside the sillines of the OP, was the issue not that the payment facilitator (I don't know the right word) took a cut? What's the seller supposed to do about that?

In this hypothetical situation (seeing there's no reason to believe the OP is telling the truth about anything, really), the seller should have done a refund in the same manner the payment was originally received which would have given the buyer the full refund that he was supposed to get. That the seller didn't do this is certainly not the buyer's fault.

Another hypothetical: I have two Paypal accounts, one in the US and one in Denmark. You buy an item from me, change your mind & decide to take advantage of my "any item can be returned for any reason whatsoever" returns policy. I receive the item back and mistakenly shoot you a refund from my Danish paypal account - which means that you'll now have to pay a currency conversion fee in order to receive the refund.

Would you accept it if I told you this was Paypal's problem because they're the ones charging you this fee, not me?

Okay, I'll buy that.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. What's your return policy first? lol

"Any item can be returned for any reason whatsoever" :thumbsup:

Ok here goes...You buy a book from a dealer knowing there is a return policy. You pay the dealer through paypal. You get the book and decide you don't want it. You email the dealer that you are gonna send it back. He refunds your money through a CREDIT CARD through paypal...THAT IS, you do not get your exact money back. Is this morally right. I mean your refund isn't exactly what you paid.

OK I'm still on page one so the seller may have been outed or the OP exposed as a fraud...

Now the seller wouldn't make any money doing this only Paypal: it's ~3% cut (unless your overseas then ~4%)

So it's probably just a lazy over-site. They should have just refund the transaction directly from the page-no fees no muss.

:facepalm:

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? What a mess. Dammit, always absurdly late to the party.

Right. I hadn't planned to post in this thread, even before the blue touchpaper had been lit, as I couldn't see the point of posting in it as the OP was more than welcome to contact me via PM regarding the matter. And I'd rather be professional about this.

Yes, boys and girls, the Seller In Question is me.

First off, I cannot remember the transaction in question. It must've been well over a year (maybe two) ago. I do remember selling a nice Fight Against Crime 20 to the OP but can't find evidence of that transaction either. But that wasn't the book in question. I've been through three years of PMs, gone through my site records, and checked my emails and I still have no clue. The OP needs to remind me what his name is and what the book was to expedite matters.

From the vague memories that I can muster about the transaction, all I can specifically recall is that I refunded all of his money. I am not sure if I refunded his return postage - the OP will have to let me have the details of this, although it does seem that I did do that. My policy is that if I have made an egregious error regarding the book, the customer is refunded postage both ways.

If there is a shortfall regarding the refund amount due to exchange rate changes, or that I forgot about Paypal not refunding the vig due to making the refund via credit card (and not from the original payment) then that is my bad. On the one other occasion here that I can recall this happening, the customer reminded me via PM of the problem and it was rectified immediately.

oh good gawd...

He returns a book after a year or two and expects you to have kept the funds in Paypal just in case...

LMFAO

:roflmao:

Hey OP!!!

You can only use the Paypal refund option for 60 days if I recall correctly.

After that no refunding through the Paypal system with no fee return.

Paypal keeps their 3%/4% so you don't get it back.

Sorry Charlie!