• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Aquaman #1?

47 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on Aquaman #1? This book hasn't done much to my knowledge, price wise. This is in part to the character not being that popular. That being said, does anyone think this comic is undervalued? It is an early/mid DC silver age book that really has not had a chance to shine in my opinion.

Because Aquaman is lame! (shrug)

um... "Every [Aquaman] collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason."

+1- no, it's not undervalued. the most recent 9.2 went for $3k on clink (which was 25% higher then more recent sales). there are plenty of HG copies around if you can live w/ a 9.2. a 9.4 is going to set up back $6k which ain't cheap for a third tier DC character.

um... "Every [Aquaman] collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason."

OK,OK,your right sheesh. :taptaptap:

:acclaim:

Aquaman was a top 10 comic this January and outsold every Marvel comic for the month.

Comeback baby. :headbang:

Let me ride my Seahorse off into the sunset. meh

Kinky.

Other than not being that scarce of a book I've always thought that part of the lack of popularity it suffers stems from the fact that it doesn't have the dynamic layout of most of the #1 issues from the same time period. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cardy but this cover just doesn't have the appeal of most first issues.

Aquaman was a top 10 comic this January and outsold every Marvel comic for the month.

Don't be dissin' on the sea horse!!!

ramona-fradon-aquaman-small.jpg

Don't be dissin' on the sea horse!!!

ramona-fradon-aquaman-small.jpg

lol

Other than not being that scarce of a book I've always thought that part of the lack of popularity it suffers stems from the fact that it doesn't have the dynamic layout of most of the #1 issues from the same time period. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cardy but this cover just doesn't have the appeal of most first issues.

Cardy was being directed from on high in terms of content and layout, and was basically limited to depicting a story point, rather than being allowed to compose for himself (standard practice for DC covers in that era). There's no comparison between the earlier covers and what he did once they gave him a bit of room to breathe.

Thanks guys for all the insight. I normally don't collect DC Comics, as much as I should (except for horror), but this issue for some reason interested me. Think about it, how many first issues of a fairly popular character from 1962 are highly affordable in 9.0 or 9.2 grade? This really caught my attention. Maybe I am completely wrong, I don't know.

you're

;)