• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Raw on Ebay. Is it worth it? Frustrated seller here.

17 posts in this topic

Geez, I just read some of the threads in the grading and restoration section. Some people (for good reason) are really down on many Ebay sellers that sell raw comics. You hear it over and over again, "I just got burned, received another overgraded book, this seller cannot grade, he's a scammer", and etc. ....

I sell raw and slabbed books on Ebay. My raw books usually sell for $100 or less so I am not talking about big dollar raw books, but I've got plenty in the $25 - $75 range. I've also got great feedback, 99.7% with over 900 positives but I too am realizing mostly under guide final bids on most of my raw books. Of course I have much different scenarios with my slabbed books, but slabbing is costly and time consuming. So I'm always faced with the dilemma of spending money to slab a book, waiting months to get it back, and hopefully get some nice bids for my efforts, OR take the quick and easy way out and sell the book raw KNOWING that many people will ASSUME that I am overgrading and therefore underbidding.

I just this week added a 100% refund policy to my listings if not satisfied with the grading and I do "supersize" any book that I think may sell for over $25. I'm just very weary now that because of all the overgrading dealers out there that my sales are going to suffer from the bad reps of the overgraders out there. 893frustrated.gif Oh well... such is life. I've got maybe 10,000 books that I am slowly churning and selling several dozen singles and/or lots a week, while buying more to add to my collection for later resell. At this point I have maybe three dozen slabs that will be offered soon. So as you can see, selling raw books is a big (the biggest) part of my business.

I am positive many of you guys out there are in my EXACT same situation. Any suggestions? How do you handle it? How do you FEEL about it. Below is a link of my current items for sale on Ebay. Thanks------Sid

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=sansc57803&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

confused-smiley-013.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

One thing to remember is that most books actually sell BELOW GUIDE, even if they are accurately graded.

Silver and Bronze-Age books will sometimes sell for only 50% of guide if below a true 9.0 (VF/NM).

So while there is no question that eBay is full of OVERGRADERS (which is really no different than most dealers over the past 30 years), even accurately graded books will probably sell for below guide.

Yes, I am very well aware of that, having done this for several years. That is understandable. I'm just wondering what part of that is due to fear of buyers expecting overgraded books. ----Sid

If you think you have a problem, I have feedback under 40...I have a lot of X-Men books (176) that I am selling as a bundle here in the forums because of the horrible experiences I have had trying to sell on EBAY so far. I'd rather sell a LOT of 176 books for $2.50 - $3.00 each (or do some trading) to someone like you that has the patience to sell them individually on EBAY.

UGH...you are a much braver man than I am... thumbsup2.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=491798&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Steve, yeah it does take alot of time and patience, but time better spent than watching TV, which is where that time would go otherwise. I looked at your set in marketplace. Had this been six months ago I would have been very interested in your lot as that is exactly what I was buying back then. Probably bought ten similar lots. Now I am selling them (among thousands of others) either individually or in small lots, like people have recommended you do. Except for some lower than hoped for bidding on these raw books, I have had more or less great success with my Ebay sales. My problem is just working out the equation between what to sell raw, and what to put forward the time, money and effort into slabbing. Good luck with your lot Steve, you certainly deserve a break after all of your recent frustration. -----Sid

A suggestion: with selling raw start undergrading slightly. The more you sell to satisfied costumers that say "his Fine was actually VF+" will start to spread and you should gain a good rep with buyers and hence potential buyers and sell more.

Shhh, don't tell anyone else!

A suggestion: with selling raw start undergrading slightly. The more you sell to satisfied costumers that say "his Fine was actually VF+" will start to spread and you should gain a good rep with buyers and hence potential buyers and sell more.

27_laughing.gif Is this the SAME eBay we are all dealing with? 27_laughing.gif

Good luck with your lot Steve, you certainly deserve a break after all of your recent frustration. -----Sid

Thanks!! after I get this lot off my chest, I am down to my core collection (all my keepers that are being slabbed) and then I can just BUY in peace.

...much easier BUYING wink.gif

Thanks!! after I get this lot off my chest, I am down to my core collection (all my keepers that are being slabbed) and then I can just BUY in peace.

...much easier BUYING

This is why I recommend just selling them. Get what you can get and move on.

You don't need the hassle of trying to build up good feedback and a good reputation so down the road you can get full value for every sale. Not worth the time or aggravation.

27_laughing.gif Is this the SAME eBay we are all dealing with? 27_laughing.gif

Depends if you want to move a lot of product and establish a good reputation or you are just a spontanious seller.

Yep, ebay is a great place to start your typical "male pattern baldness" as you pull your hair out in frustruation. It's kinda like golf.....for every bad auction week there is usually that one book that suprises and goes for book value or higher. It leaves you thinking that maybe one day you can be Tiger Woods( or even better - Bronze Bruce or is it Blazing Bob..I'm getting confused confused.gif anyway, I'll just give credit to both).

Best advice I was given by an ebay veteran was- don't list a book for less than you want to sell it for, but be realistic of current selling trends. If you wouldn't buy it at more than 50% guide, then most folks won't either.

A pattern that I've noticed is that if you start your books off with a low low starting price(not neatstuff pricing or you'll lose your shirt) to get at least that first bid. It seems that many people are more willing to bid on an item where they see someone else has the confidence to bid(pack mentality?)

Read em, enjoy em, then make a few pennies on the majority of em...lather, rinse, repeat. grin.gif

well it depends on what you are selling. For bronze marvel in high grade, its tough to get close to guide on raw books, unless its a killer key. I have never had a complaint with grading, most people do think i undergrade, i get repeat customers, i have over 1400 positives 99.7, and yet they just don't hit guide. I just don't expect guide going into it. Thats why i buy even cheaper. Now if i have DC bronze high grade, they get much closer, to over guide. Silver age for me doesn't ever hit guide for low grade unless its early asm, then its easier. Pre code horror is weird, its al over the board from 50% of guide to 200% of guide.

Yep, ebay is a great place to start your typical "male pattern baldness" as you pull your hair out in frustruation

So eBay is the blame as to why I lost my hair! I am gonna call Larry the Lawyer first thing Monday Morn!!! 27_laughing.gif

CAL

Ebay by definition gives the "negotiating" power to the buyer unless there is a frenzy at the end. If the book is an ultra common X-men 137 in F/VF most buyers realize all they have to do is wait one hour and another one will come up. Also, with auctions there is the winners curse psychology where no body wants to be the winner since you are the person that bid the most for the book and (in theorey)there is no body out there willing to pay more than you. Add to that any other issues like bad pictures, large lots, low reputation, etc and you just won't get guide. In a way though Ebay is the new guide.

They beauty is with ebay you don't have to own (and pay for) a store. You can liquidate inventory if you need to. You don't have to deal with nerdboys commenting on your books and handling the nice ones and then trying to get 50% off prices of your best stuff.

The real problem is trying to sell the low value item that only a few people want. I have sold some very high grade Richie Rich's from the 70's that pretty much went for a $1 a piece. If I could have found the right buyer he would have paid $3-4 each. The X-men 137 in VFNM will pretty much sell for $15 every time regardless of what the guide says. Even if you call in NM+ it'll sell for $15.

As you said earlier, buy accordingly when you go to turnover your stuff.

Ed

They beauty is with ebay you don't have to own (and pay for) a store. You can liquidate inventory if you need to. You don't have to deal with nerdboys commenting on your books and handling the nice ones and then trying to get 50% off prices of your best stuff.

Well put! True too!

CAL hi.gif