• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benefits of the Registry???

20 posts in this topic

As most people know I am a fairly 'cautious' high grade collector of CGC graded comic books. That being said, I also value the privacy of the items I own and to be quite honest, prefer to collect in private. I suppose this comes from being involved in the antiques and collectibles business for so long; and also being a very cautious coin and currency collector. In retrospect, not a week goes by that you don't hear a story about theft, violence, or general crime against collectors of any objects of value. That being said, as a result of this I never took much of an interest in any of the registries available on this forum and other collecting forums.

Can one tell me what the advantages and disadvantages of being an active member of the registries is?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

'mint'

Fun. (shrug)

What Jim said. And...

1. It's a great way to meet like-minded collectors.

2. It's sort of like having a want list anybody can see. You could get offered books you might not have otherwise.

3. You get offers for your books. Some folks might not like this. But it's easy to politely decline.

4. It can facilitate trades between collectors.

As far as negatives, I haven't experienced any that I know of. Some people believe that having your sets public can open you up to punishment bids in an auction. I guess that's possible but it's hard to say for sure. When books I'm bidding on go for high prices, I think it's just a matter of scarcity and demand.

Fun. (shrug)

What Jim said. And...

2. It's sort of like having a want list anybody can see. You could get offered books you might not have otherwise.

3. You get offers for your books. Some folks might not like this. But it's easy to politely decline.

As far as negatives, I haven't experienced any that I know of. Some people believe that having your sets public can open you up to punishment bids in an auction. I guess that's possible but it's hard to say for sure. When books I'm bidding on go for high prices, I think it's just a matter of scarcity and demand.

Agreed. I use the registry for potential buys and for potential buyers. When I come across a run I am not familiar with I check the registry and GPA in that order.

When I'm looking to complete a set I also check the registry and GPA.

Fun. (shrug)

What Jim said. And...

I punish bid you every chance I get. I have even named it the "Ghost Town Smackdown."

table.gif

Fun. (shrug)

What Jim said. And...

I punish bid you every chance I get. I have even named it the "Ghost Town Smackdown."

table.gif

:roflmao:

Well, Mint man has a point. How easy is it to track down a persons address through looking at their registry set ?

Interesting question but I would be more worried about people knowing what I had locally. It just seems like a lot of stolen stuff takes place by those people locally who know what you have on hand.

I never even considered that posting the registry under an alias might open me up to theft.

I find the registry useful for:

1) tracking what I have vs. still need

2) The major (at least, CGC-board) players with whom I'm competing with books when bidding at auction

3) knowing what other books I need are owned by whom for potential future deals,

4) getting a decent idea of the "market." I imagine when I go to sell, I could probably sell stuff faster via private messages to registry run collectors than even here.