• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever lost or gained comics in a divorce/breakup?

54 posts in this topic

Never happened to me as I've been married for 33+ years.

But I have a similar story involving vintage vinyl records...

My brother was married to this absolute psycho-biatch and in the last year she pulled some real pranks...the marriage was essentially over for about 4 years and he was waiting until his 2 kids were at least 16...in the last year she struck up an internet romance with some dude in Texas...headed down there for a week and on the way back rolled her car off the turnpike and almost killed herself...ended up like 30 feet down some embankment...then she got in another internet romance with some dude in Australia and ran up a $10000 phone bill in like a week...then she took my brother's Nolan Ryan rookie card which was worth at least $1K at the time and pawned it a a pawn shop for $50 bucks...when the divorce finally went through she took half his unbelievable 45/78 vinyl record collection

I always wonder what might happen to my acquisitions since marriage if the scheissen hits the fan. I like the idea of selling to a friend for a $1 with a promise to buy back for a $1, but I think that sale might be violative of most states' fraudulent transfer statutes. I don't know the answer.

Perfectly legal,maybe some attorneys can chime in. :golfclap:

Not really. If the comics pre-date the marriage they might be considered non-marital property and, in that case, may be disposed of. Anything acquired post-marriage, I assume that's what the OP means by "acquisitions since marriage" are going to be treated as joint property and will be part of the pot to be divided. You won't be able to avoid that by doing something as half-baked as selling to a friend for $1. If it was that easy everyone would would do it. "Oh yeah Mr. Judge, I gave that Mercedes to my mom, so my wife doesn't get half." lol

I have a pre-nup that not only excludes my current $100K collection, but also excludes ANY books I acquire during my marriage/cohabitation that is deemed EXCLUDED property.

For those already married, my sympathies if a divorce transpires and you have to forgo 1/2 of your collection.

BUT, for those considering marriage or engaged, I would STRONGLY recommend getting a pre-nup to exclude your collection from being deemed marital property moving forward

I can relate to this as I just went through a nasty divorce over the past year and somehow my collection is intact. My ex is aware of the value and I had to claim them as assets during the settlement. We ended up agreeing that, between their value and my 401k, it was a wash with her investments.

There was a six month period where she kept them at the house and legally prevented me from taking them. One day she called me to tell me she put them out on the front lawn and I better come get them before it started to rain. When I got there it was my entire Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny X-men collection so I was able to get them that day. I beat the rain by about an hour. :eek:

The next morning she called back and told me if I didn't return all the boxes she left outside she would throw the rest out in the wet grass. When I got over there she called the police and tried to have me arrested. Luckily she had left the message on voice mail so when I played for the police they were not real happy with her for lying. Once the divorce was final I got them all back.

So that is where I have been for the past year+, haven't bought any back issues in over a year but hoping that will change in the near future. :wishluck:

I can relate to this as I just went through a nasty divorce over the past year and somehow my collection is intact. My ex is aware of the value and I had to claim them as assets during the settlement. We ended up agreeing that, between their value and my 401k, it was a wash with her investments.

There was a six month period where she kept them at the house and legally prevented me from taking them. One day she called me to tell me she put them out on the front lawn and I better come get them before it started to rain. When I got there it was my entire Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny X-men collection so I was able to get them that day. I beat the rain by about an hour. :eek:

The next morning she called back and told me if I didn't return all the boxes she left outside she would throw the rest out in the wet grass. When I got over there she called the police and tried to have me arrested. Luckily she had left the message on voice mail so when I played for the police they were not real happy with her for lying. Once the divorce was final I got them all back.

So that is where I have been for the past year+, haven't bought any back issues in over a year but hoping that will change in the near future. :wishluck:

Damn! :eek:

Why do people even bother getting married? What a friggen joke

lol I know the feeling. I'm 44, a confirmed bachelor and love my freedom that my married friends don't have.

You need someone to blow you and wash your clothes at the same time,just saying. :shy:

lol I know the feeling. I'm 44, a confirmed bachelor and love my freedom that my married friends don't have.

You need someone to blow you and wash your clothes at the same time,just saying. :shy:

And what makes you think I don't have that without the leash :banana:

Seriously though, I have some friends with amazing marriages it's just not something that is for me.

If I ever get divorced,I have a back up plan.I will sell my whole collection to a friend for a dollar,then buy the collection back for a dollar when the divorce is settled.She can get half of that dollar that I sold them for. :devil:
hm My wife knows what my books are worth. She has already told me she would want them sold and we would split the money, if we were ever to get divorced.

Good thing you know the woods and where to hide things in those woods...and I am not talking about the books. hm

And what makes you think I don't have that without the leash :banana:

Seriously though, I have some friends with amazing marriages it's just not something that is for me.

I'm just blowin' smoke out my ,brother. :gossip:

Because fatherhood is the greatest feeling on earth. Admittedly I got lucky, two awesome children.

+1

As painful as divorce is, I'd do it a thousand times over since I was blessed with two wonderful kids as well (thumbs u