• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever lost or gained comics in a divorce/breakup?

54 posts in this topic

Back in 1980 I was eight years old and my parents split. My mam put dads comics into the garage for him to collect. She told me to get the ones I wanted out of there.

Being only 8 I didn't realize the value of some of them and just took the ones i enjoyed reading.

Dad ended up selling some and having some borrowed and never returned, and i got the lot a few years later before I sold them all.

Had I been older than 8 I would've had a good root through for some nice silver age beauties.

My collection is not of great value (four figures, at a guess), but the vast bulk of it was acquired before I got married. I sometimes feel concerned that I don't know how I would prove that if I should get divorced, though. I believe the onus would be on me to do that, or they would be marital property. They'd likely be sold in any case, but I would want it to be my lawyer the proceeds would pay off...

I actually gain comics after my divorce. I had a ton of free spending money and went on a buying spree.

Glad to hear that but men usually need to liquidate all their long boxes plus their personal collection in the safety deposit box to pay off the $400/hr divorce lawyers. :frustrated:

I actually gain comics after my divorce. I had a ton of free spending money and went on a buying spree.

Glad to hear that but men usually need to liquidate all their long boxes plus their personal collection in the safety deposit box to pay off the $400/hr divorce lawyers. :frustrated:

If you do it right, and your ex is smart enough to realize the only people who make money in a divorce are the attorneys - you can get divorced for a couple hundred bucks and no lawyers. File on your own. It cost me $245 to get divorced. Sure, we had to half everything, but I didn't have to sell anything to pay for a lawyer.

I could never marry a woman that hates comics. As soon as i find out they don't like comics, out the door they go.

How's that working out for you?

Nothing reinforces the lonely, dateless, comic-collecting, nerd stereotype than lonely, dateless, comic-collecting nerds.

lol

:jokealert:

My ex was never a collector of anything, thought it was a huge waste of time and money. Since you can't convince a non-collector and somebody who has never read a comic that it is a fun and rewarding hobby, I went out of my way to point out the value of the books I was acquiring and how flipping some of them contributed to the household budget.

I probably went overboard on focusing on the "financial gain" aspect of collecting to justify it to her...and it came back to haunt me when she filed for divorce.

Long story short, I was forced to pay her half the value of the comics (full guide value, mind you) as part of the divorce settlement. I debated for a long time about just giving her half the collection...which of course she would have hated and been forced to sell on her own in bulk to a dealer for a fraction of their value. But in the spirit of a good relationship with the mother of my children, I swallowed my pride and just gave her what she asked for. While it stung, in the long run it was better than losing the books or turning the divorce negotiations nasty.

In hindsight I wish I would have stashed away the more valuable books and kept the inventory records hidden (she copied them from my computer when I wasn't home)...but when you are trying to save your marriage stuff like that doesn't always come to mind.

Greg

I could never marry a woman that hates comics. As soon as i find out they don't like comics, out the door they go.

"Yeah, I dated Gisele before Tebow, but I found out she didn't like comics, so out the door she went." :eyeroll:

If I ever get divorced,I have a back up plan.I will sell my whole collection to a friend for a dollar,then buy the collection back for a dollar when the divorce is settled.She can get half of that dollar that I sold them for. :devil: